Re: Surnames Wangel and Bugel

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Leandro" <leandrovangel@c...>
      wrote:
      > Dear List,
      >
      > My name is Leandro and I am writing from Argentina.
      Thanks to this list now I know the exact place where my grandfather
      was born. His name was Stefan Wangel and came to Argentina around 1914
      from ´SZLANICZA`(H) or ´SLANICA`(SK).

      > A weeks ago someone in this newsgroup told me about
      ellisisland.org. Surfing there I found some Wangel that arrived in the
      USA from SZLANICZA (H) or SLANICA (SK) too. They manifested to travel
      with destination to Illinois.

      > Too I`ve found some letters that belonged my
      grandfather. Some of them came, in the 1920s and 1930s from Slovakia
      and the others came from Illinois and Wisconsin. The senders were
      people of surnames Wangel and Bugel. Now I know that he had relatives
      in the USA too and I´d like to find their descendants.

      > Searching on internet I found some Wangel in Illinois,
      in a web site called ´US SEARCH`, but I didn´t get their addresses
      because previously I have to pay for that. Now I´d like to know, How
      can I get their addresses freely?.

      > Does anybody in this list know some Wangel or Bugel in
      Wisconsin or Illinois?. Thanks very much.

      > Leandro

      In 1903, a Andras (H) (Andrew) Bugel, age 41, married, Slovak,
      emigrated to the USA.
      He went to a friend's address in Chicago IL.
      Andras had been in Chicago IL before (1899/1901)

      In 1904, a Rozalia Bugel, age 42, married, Slovak, and her
      daughter also named Rozalia, age 3, had emigrated to USA.
      They went to address of Rozalia's husband Andro ? Bugel in Chicago.
      Expect this was the same person as the Andras Bugel above.

      Ondro can be a shortened form of name Andrew (Andrej/Ondrej in Slovak)
      (nickname Andy (E)

      Yes. Am familiar with 'US SEARCH PAY'.
      Telephone directory listings on the Internet used to be free.
      As more directory services become commercial the remaining free
      telephone directory computer 'servers' become overloaded with traffic
      and are always 'busy' depending on person's time zone.

      Based of SSDI there appear to have been more surnames Bugel in
      Pennsylvania and NY and few in Illinois.

      Frank K

      BTW
      Your GF's letters were written in what language(s)
      Slovak, Spanish, other ?
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        Dear Leandro,

        www.switchboard.com is one of the most useful free white pages telephone
        directories online. Use that instead of "US SEARCH" It will give you
        phone number and mailing list for each entry. There are many matches.

        Good Luck,

        Bill Tarkulich

        > Searching on internet I found some Wangel in Illinois,
        in a web site called ´US SEARCH`, but I didn´t get their addresses
        because previously I have to pay for that. Now I´d like to know, How
        can I get their addresses freely?.

        > Does anybody in this list know some Wangel or Bugel in
        Wisconsin or Illinois?. Thanks very much.

        > Leandro

        In 1903, a Andras (H) (Andrew) Bugel, age 41, married, Slovak, emigrated
        to the USA. He went to a friend's address in Chicago IL. Andras had been
        in Chicago IL before (1899/1901)

        In 1904, a Rozalia Bugel, age 42, married, Slovak, and her daughter also
        named Rozalia, age 3, had emigrated to USA. They went to address of
        Rozalia's husband Andro ? Bugel in Chicago. Expect this was the same
        person as the Andras Bugel above.

        Ondro can be a shortened form of name Andrew (Andrej/Ondrej in Slovak)
        (nickname Andy (E)

        Yes. Am familiar with 'US SEARCH PAY'.
        Telephone directory listings on the Internet used to be free. As more
        directory services become commercial the remaining free telephone
        directory computer 'servers' become overloaded with traffic
        and are always 'busy' depending on person's time zone.

        Based of SSDI there appear to have been more surnames Bugel in
        Pennsylvania and NY and few in Illinois.

        Frank K

        BTW
        Your GF's letters were written in what language(s)
        Slovak, Spanish, other ?

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill@i...>
          wrote:
          > Dear Leandro,
          >
          > www.switchboard.com is one of the most useful free white pages
          telephone
          > directories online. Use that instead of "US SEARCH" It will give
          you
          > phone number and mailing list for each entry. There are many
          matches.

          > Good Luck,
          >
          > Bill Tarkulich

          Leandro,

          As Bill Tarkulich has suggested you should try www.switchboard.com.
          Using another telephone directory I could locate no surname
          listing for Wangel in either IL or WI.

          But, there were 29 surnames Wangelid listed in IL.
          However, believe the -lid identifies that surname as Norwegian
          (de Noruega)
          Norwegians did settle in IL and WI.
          Don't believe there is any connection to your surname Wangel from
          Slovakia.

          However, the telephone directory did list 4 surnames Bugel in IL and
          1 surname Bugel in WI.

          ! Buena suerte !

          Frank K
        • Leandro
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2003
            Dear Frank,

            Hello I am Leandro from Argentina again. The letter that belonged my grandfather are six and are written in Slovak language.

            About what you told me of Josef and Mary Wangel that arrived in the USA in 1920, I am sure that they were brother and sister of my grandfather because on ellisisland.org, they manifest that their father is ´Stefan Wangel`. And I know that the name of my great grandfather was ´Stefan Wangel` too as the name of my grandfather. One of the letters is signed by ´Mr. Joe Wangel`.

            About Rozalia Bugel I think that she is the same person that has been written my grandfather because I have a letter signed by ´Mrs. Rose Bugel` too.

            About Andras (Andrew) Bugel I think he is husband of Rozalia (Rose) Bugel because one of the letters that came from Superior Wisconsin has a heading where says:

            Michael M. Bugel Frank A. Bugel

            Bugel Brothers
            Quality Meats and Groceries
            Restaurant supplies
            616 Tower Avenue

            Superior, Wis.

            If you´d like to give me your e-mail address I could send you this scanned letter. Do you understand Slovak language?. Thanks

            Leandro

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2003
              wrote:
              > Dear Frank,
              >
              > Hello I am Leandro from Argentina again. The
              letter that belonged my grandfather are six and are written in Slovak
              language.

              > About what you told me of Josef and Mary Wangel
              that arrived in the USA in 1920, I am sure that they were brother and
              sister of my grandfather because on ellisisland.org, they manifest
              that their father is ´Stefan Wangel`. And I know that the name of my
              great grandfather was ´Stefan Wangel` too as the name of my
              grandfather. One of the letters is signed by ´Mr. Joe Wangel`.

              > About Rozalia Bugel I think that she is the same
              person that has been written my grandfather because I have a letter
              signed by ´Mrs. Rose Bugel` too.

              > About Andras (Andrew) Bugel I think he is husband
              of Rozalia (Rose) Bugel because one of the letters that came from
              Superior Wisconsin has a heading where says:

              > Michael M. Bugel
              Frank A. Bugel

              > Bugel Brothers
              > Quality Meats and Groceries
              > Restaurant supplies
              > 616 Tower Avenue
              >
              > Superior, Wis.
              >

              > If you´d like to give me your e-mail address I could send you this
              scanned letter. Do you understand Slovak language?. Thanks

              > Leandro

              Dear Leandro,

              What you have written above sounds reasonable about your surname
              Wangel from Slovakia.
              It is interesting because it was usually Croatians who emigrated to
              Argentina and S.A.

              Send me the scanned letter.

              my email address :

              frankur@...

              Yes.
              I understand Slovak, German, Spanish ,Italian, Hungarian and some
              other languages.

              De nada

              Frank

            • Kevin Fosko
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2003
                Leandro,

                www.superpages.com (Verizon), and www.anywho.com (AT&T) are both free telephone/address tools. Yahoo (www.yahoo.com) has a PeopleSearch free option that gives results. Only if it doesn't find any does Yahoo try to get you to buy a search.

                Kevin