Researching: VANCIK, VANCsIK, VANTSIK, TEJ, BLANYAR, BLANAR, ROHAL - Krize, SK

  • Dan Wanchic
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
      My name is Dan Wanchic and I'm originally from the eastern Ohio
      village of Mingo Junction.

      I'm looking for these surnames on my fathers side of the family:
      VANCIK, VANCSIK, or VANTSIK, TEJ, BLANAR or BLANYAR
      and ROHAL - all are from Krize, SK.

      I've received a lot of valuable family information from John Matsko a
      distant cousin, also a member of this group but I'm trying to
      do some research on my own as well ;-))

      I've been fortunate to obtain copies of baptism certificates for both of my
      grandparents, their wedding certificate and my grandfathers naturalization
      certificate
      and his Czech national guard papers from the early 1920's.

      I've gotten the LDS film numbers for Krize but haven't gotten to that point
      in my research yet.

      My parents are Joseph Wanchic (d. 1984) and Agnes Grantonic.
      My dads sibblings - Stefan, Michal, Janos, Nickolas, Katherine
      (Kay). My mom's Jon, Mary, Marlene, Lawrence, Patricia, Alice.

      My paternal grandparents were Janos Vancik and Katarina Tej.
      My greatgrandparents were Gabor Vancik and Zsuzanna Blanyar
      and Petr Tej and Marya Rohal.

      Aside from tracing the family tree, I'm also interested in these areas:

      - Meeting distant relatives, especially true for those on my fathers side
      of the tree. Aside from his immediate family, my only other meeting with
      any other members from that side was at my grandmothers funeral in the
      1960's. At least meeting via email.

      I know that my grandfather has several half brothers and sistersfrom
      Gabors second wife and that none migrated to the US permanently. I believe
      that my grandmother had a sister who lived in the vicinity of Warren or
      Youngstown, OH and that she remarried after her first husband died - I
      believe in WWI.
      She also had at least one brother who lived perhaps in Philadelipa or New
      Jersey?

      - The history of Krize. From the map, it appears to be fairly isolated,
      being at the end of the road in the mountains.
      Does anyone know any historical information?

      - Surname origins and meanings - It is believed that Vancik is a variation
      of Ivancik, the slavic equivalent of Johnson. But I am not fully confident
      of the name
      origin. I don't have any idea of the origin or meanings for Tej, Blanyar or
      Rohal.

      - Clues as to why Vancik surname was changed to Wanchic. My Aunt Kay,
      the only living relative on my dad's side does not remember. I see from an
      Ellis Island record that my grandmother spelled the name with a W in 1910
      but my
      grandfathers obit. from 1937 shows a V. I think that spelling with the W
      indicates possible Polish influence. That's not too far fetched since Krize
      is so
      close to Poland. Can anyone provide any enlightenment.

      - More info on Rusin origins. Until just recently I understood that I was
      Slovak. Now that I've done some research, I'm beginning to understand that
      although my
      ancestors on al sides may have came from a Slovak speaking land, they
      themselves may
      not have been Slovak. Some are Rusyn, some Slovak and the jury is still out
      on
      the Granatovich's (maternal side)

      Too many questions - not enough answers

      Regards

      Dan Wanchic
      Saint Cloud, MN
    • CPRAMUKA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
        In a message dated 9/30/2003 1:04:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > I'm looking for these surnames on my fathers side of the
        > family:
        > VANCIK, VANCSIK, or VANTSIK, TEJ, BLANAR or BLANYAR
        > and ROHAL
        Dan,

        I have seen the surname ROHAL in a Carpatho-Rusyn cemetery in Stratford, CT. It is also spelled ROYAL in this cemetery. Check out Genealogy.com's Virtual Cemetery, I think I posted a couple of pictures.

        And the surname BLANAR is also seen in this area. We had neighbors named BLANAR in Milford, CT when I was growing up.

        Dee Taylor
        CPRAMUKA@...