Surnames Wangel and Bugel

  • Leandro
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2003
      Dear List,

      My name is Leandro and I am writing from Argentina. Thanks to this list now I know the exact place where my grandfather was born. His name was Stefan Wangel and came to Argentina around 1914 from ´SZLANICZA`(H) or ´SLANICA`(SK).

      A weeks ago someone in this newsgroup told me about ellisisland.org. Surfing there I found some Wangel that arrived in the USA from SZLANICZA (H) or SLANICA (SK) too. They manifested to travel with destination to Illinois.

      Too I`ve found some letters that belonged my grandfather. Some of them came, in the 1920s and 1930s from Slovakia and the others came from Illinois and Wisconsin. The senders were people of surnames Wangel and Bugel. Now I know that he had relatives in the USA too and I´d like to find their descendants.

      Searching on internet I found some Wangel in Illinois, in a web site called ´US SEARCH`, but I didn´t get their addresses because previously I have to pay for that. Now I´d like to know, How can I get their addresses freely?.

      Does anybody in this list know some Wangel or Bugel in Wisconsin or Illinois?. Thanks very much.

      Leandro

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Leandro" <leandrovangel@c...>
        wrote:
        > Dear List,
        >
        > My name is Leandro and I am writing from Argentina.
        Thanks to this list now I know the exact place where my grandfather
        was born. His name was Stefan Wangel and came to Argentina around 1914
        from ´SZLANICZA`(H) or ´SLANICA`(SK).

        > A weeks ago someone in this newsgroup told me about
        ellisisland.org. Surfing there I found some Wangel that arrived in the
        USA from SZLANICZA (H) or SLANICA (SK) too. They manifested to travel
        with destination to Illinois.

        > Too I`ve found some letters that belonged my
        grandfather. Some of them came, in the 1920s and 1930s from Slovakia
        and the others came from Illinois and Wisconsin. The senders were
        people of surnames Wangel and Bugel. Now I know that he had relatives
        in the USA too and I´d like to find their descendants.

        > Searching on internet I found some Wangel in Illinois,
        in a web site called ´US SEARCH`, but I didn´t get their addresses
        because previously I have to pay for that. Now I´d like to know, How
        can I get their addresses freely?.

        > Does anybody in this list know some Wangel or Bugel in
        Wisconsin or Illinois?. Thanks very much.

        > Leandro

        !Hola! Leandro,

        Since village where your abuelito was born in Slovakia is only
        10 km corneja en derechura from where my own grandfather was born
        I will reply in part to your surname query.

        Szlanicza (H) Slanica (Sk) was located in the A'rva (Orava)
        region of Hungary, now western Slovakia.
        What was once the Orava plain became Lake Orava in 1954 and five
        villages (including Slanica) were submerged under the waters by a new
        dam.

        * Although the village of Slanica no longer exists all is not lost as
        to its surname records.

        The Ellis Island Records (EIR) you mention, listed 25 surnames Wangel
        who emigrated to the USA 1892-1924.
        Believe you can discount all the names except Ignacz, Josef, and Mary
        as being from Slanica, Slovakia.
        Slanica was also the birthplace of an early pioneer of the Slovak
        language Antón Bernolak (1762-1813)

        Ignácz (H) Wangel, age 19, Hungarian, emigrated in 1899 via Hamburg,
        Germany to NYC.
        He went to his uncle's András (Andrew) Klivomruf ? address in Chicago
        IL USA.
        Szlanicza was misspelled Slonicza in ship manifest.
        In Hungarian the letter 'Sz' is pron. 'S'.

        In 1920, a Josef Wangel, age 32, married, and a Mary Wangel, age 17,
        single, emigrated via Liverpool, England to NYC.
        Their birthplace was misread or mis-typed in the ship manifest.
        Stanica for Slanica because there is Stanc^a located in eastern
        Slovakia.
        They both went to brother Mr. Wangel's address 5060 West 29th Street,
        Chicago IL USA.
        Besides Josef and Mary, on same page of mainifest were three females;
        Sophie Kulosiak, age 23, Rosalie Job, age 19, and Emilie Nante,
        age 18. All born in Slanica, Slovakia.
        Expect Josef was escorting the 4 unmarried females on voyage to their
        Final Destination in Chicago.

        Lived in Chicago IL for about 40 odd years ago.

        Located 600 meters from the Wangel address above was Cicero, IL.
        Served by a network of railroads, Cicero attracted many industries in
        the twentieth century and became the largest manufacturing center in
        the state after Chicago.
        Immigrants and their families swelled the town's population.

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed the parish church records at six of the
        Slovak State Archives.

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        (Enter Argentina under Country then Click Search)

        * LDS have filmed the Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
        marriages and deaths (1757-1895) for Slanica, Slovakia; formerly
        Szlanicza, A'rava megye, Hungary.
        Listed under under Námestovo, Slovakia.

        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        If you want possible living ancestors is another matter.

        The US Social Security Death Index (SSDI) lists a single surname
        Wngel under Illinois.
        A John Wangel (b. 1889 d. 1963) His Last Residence was in state of
        Wisconsin.

        Happy hunting,

        Frank K

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
          wrote:
          > Dear List,
          >
          > My name is Leandro and I am writing from Argentina.
          Thanks to this list now I know the exact place where my grandfather
          was born. His name was Stefan Wangel and came to Argentina around 1914
          from ´SZLANICZA`(H) or ´SLANICA`(SK).

          > A weeks ago someone in this newsgroup told me about
          ellisisland.org. Surfing there I found some Wangel that arrived in the
          USA from SZLANICZA (H) or SLANICA (SK) too. They manifested to travel
          with destination to Illinois.

          > Too I`ve found some letters that belonged my
          grandfather. Some of them came, in the 1920s and 1930s from Slovakia
          and the others came from Illinois and Wisconsin. The senders were
          people of surnames Wangel and Bugel. Now I know that he had relatives
          in the USA too and I´d like to find their descendants.

          > Searching on internet I found some Wangel in Illinois,
          in a web site called ´US SEARCH`, but I didn´t get their addresses
          because previously I have to pay for that. Now I´d like to know, How
          can I get their addresses freely?.

          > Does anybody in this list know some Wangel or Bugel in
          Wisconsin or Illinois?. Thanks very much.

          > Leandro

          In 1903, a Andras (H) (Andrew) Bugel, age 41, married, Slovak,
          emigrated to the USA.
          He went to a friend's address in Chicago IL.
          Andras had been in Chicago IL before (1899/1901)

          In 1904, a Rozalia Bugel, age 42, married, Slovak, and her
          daughter also named Rozalia, age 3, had emigrated to USA.
          They went to address of Rozalia's husband Andro ? Bugel in Chicago.
          Expect this was the same person as the Andras Bugel above.

          Ondro can be a shortened form of name Andrew (Andrej/Ondrej in Slovak)
          (nickname Andy (E)

          Yes. Am familiar with 'US SEARCH PAY'.
          Telephone directory listings on the Internet used to be free.
          As more directory services become commercial the remaining free
          telephone directory computer 'servers' become overloaded with traffic
          and are always 'busy' depending on person's time zone.

          Based of SSDI there appear to have been more surnames Bugel in
          Pennsylvania and NY and few in Illinois.

          Frank K

          BTW
          Your GF's letters were written in what language(s)
          Slovak, Spanish, other ?
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
            Dear Leandro,

            www.switchboard.com is one of the most useful free white pages telephone
            directories online. Use that instead of "US SEARCH" It will give you
            phone number and mailing list for each entry. There are many matches.

            Good Luck,

            Bill Tarkulich

            > Searching on internet I found some Wangel in Illinois,
            in a web site called ´US SEARCH`, but I didn´t get their addresses
            because previously I have to pay for that. Now I´d like to know, How
            can I get their addresses freely?.

            > Does anybody in this list know some Wangel or Bugel in
            Wisconsin or Illinois?. Thanks very much.

            > Leandro

            In 1903, a Andras (H) (Andrew) Bugel, age 41, married, Slovak, emigrated
            to the USA. He went to a friend's address in Chicago IL. Andras had been
            in Chicago IL before (1899/1901)

            In 1904, a Rozalia Bugel, age 42, married, Slovak, and her daughter also
            named Rozalia, age 3, had emigrated to USA. They went to address of
            Rozalia's husband Andro ? Bugel in Chicago. Expect this was the same
            person as the Andras Bugel above.

            Ondro can be a shortened form of name Andrew (Andrej/Ondrej in Slovak)
            (nickname Andy (E)

            Yes. Am familiar with 'US SEARCH PAY'.
            Telephone directory listings on the Internet used to be free. As more
            directory services become commercial the remaining free telephone
            directory computer 'servers' become overloaded with traffic
            and are always 'busy' depending on person's time zone.

            Based of SSDI there appear to have been more surnames Bugel in
            Pennsylvania and NY and few in Illinois.

            Frank K

            BTW
            Your GF's letters were written in what language(s)
            Slovak, Spanish, other ?

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill@i...>
              wrote:
              > Dear Leandro,
              >
              > www.switchboard.com is one of the most useful free white pages
              telephone
              > directories online. Use that instead of "US SEARCH" It will give
              you
              > phone number and mailing list for each entry. There are many
              matches.

              > Good Luck,
              >
              > Bill Tarkulich

              Leandro,

              As Bill Tarkulich has suggested you should try www.switchboard.com.
              Using another telephone directory I could locate no surname
              listing for Wangel in either IL or WI.

              But, there were 29 surnames Wangelid listed in IL.
              However, believe the -lid identifies that surname as Norwegian
              (de Noruega)
              Norwegians did settle in IL and WI.
              Don't believe there is any connection to your surname Wangel from
              Slovakia.

              However, the telephone directory did list 4 surnames Bugel in IL and
              1 surname Bugel in WI.

              ! Buena suerte !

              Frank K
            • Leandro
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2003
                Dear Frank,

                Hello I am Leandro from Argentina again. The letter that belonged my grandfather are six and are written in Slovak language.

                About what you told me of Josef and Mary Wangel that arrived in the USA in 1920, I am sure that they were brother and sister of my grandfather because on ellisisland.org, they manifest that their father is ´Stefan Wangel`. And I know that the name of my great grandfather was ´Stefan Wangel` too as the name of my grandfather. One of the letters is signed by ´Mr. Joe Wangel`.

                About Rozalia Bugel I think that she is the same person that has been written my grandfather because I have a letter signed by ´Mrs. Rose Bugel` too.

                About Andras (Andrew) Bugel I think he is husband of Rozalia (Rose) Bugel because one of the letters that came from Superior Wisconsin has a heading where says:

                Michael M. Bugel Frank A. Bugel

                Bugel Brothers
                Quality Meats and Groceries
                Restaurant supplies
                616 Tower Avenue

                Superior, Wis.

                If you´d like to give me your e-mail address I could send you this scanned letter. Do you understand Slovak language?. Thanks

                Leandro

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2003
                  wrote:
                  > Dear Frank,
                  >
                  > Hello I am Leandro from Argentina again. The
                  letter that belonged my grandfather are six and are written in Slovak
                  language.

                  > About what you told me of Josef and Mary Wangel
                  that arrived in the USA in 1920, I am sure that they were brother and
                  sister of my grandfather because on ellisisland.org, they manifest
                  that their father is ´Stefan Wangel`. And I know that the name of my
                  great grandfather was ´Stefan Wangel` too as the name of my
                  grandfather. One of the letters is signed by ´Mr. Joe Wangel`.

                  > About Rozalia Bugel I think that she is the same
                  person that has been written my grandfather because I have a letter
                  signed by ´Mrs. Rose Bugel` too.

                  > About Andras (Andrew) Bugel I think he is husband
                  of Rozalia (Rose) Bugel because one of the letters that came from
                  Superior Wisconsin has a heading where says:

                  > Michael M. Bugel
                  Frank A. Bugel

                  > Bugel Brothers
                  > Quality Meats and Groceries
                  > Restaurant supplies
                  > 616 Tower Avenue
                  >
                  > Superior, Wis.
                  >

                  > If you´d like to give me your e-mail address I could send you this
                  scanned letter. Do you understand Slovak language?. Thanks

                  > Leandro

                  Dear Leandro,

                  What you have written above sounds reasonable about your surname
                  Wangel from Slovakia.
                  It is interesting because it was usually Croatians who emigrated to
                  Argentina and S.A.

                  Send me the scanned letter.

                  my email address :

                  frankur@...

                  Yes.
                  I understand Slovak, German, Spanish ,Italian, Hungarian and some
                  other languages.

                  De nada

                  Frank

                • Kevin Fosko
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2003
                    Leandro,

                    www.superpages.com (Verizon), and www.anywho.com (AT&T) are both free telephone/address tools. Yahoo (www.yahoo.com) has a PeopleSearch free option that gives results. Only if it doesn't find any does Yahoo try to get you to buy a search.

                    Kevin