RE: Psota

  • Colleen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2003
      Frank..........yes I was a bundel of mischief..or so I am told..lol.
      I believe my dads family was mostly Ukrainian Orthodox,,and Russian
      Orthodox,
      My dad was orphaned at 9 years old..so not much family lore to go by.
      Dad spoke Ukrainian, Polish, Lithuainan and Russian, I have only
      english, sadly. Thank you for your interest and your help.

      Psota
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Colleen" <a_pickle@h...> wrote:
        > Frank..........yes I was a bundel of mischief..or so I am told..lol.
        > I believe my dads family was mostly Ukrainian Orthodox,,and Russian
        > Orthodox,
        > My dad was orphaned at 9 years old..so not much family lore to go
        by.
        > Dad spoke Ukrainian, Polish, Lithuainan and Russian, I have only
        > english, sadly. Thank you for your interest and your help.
        >
        > Psota

        Psota...

        How are you ? English

        Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

        Jak sie masz ? Polish

        Kaip gyvenate ? Lithuanian

        K A K /| E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
        (k ah k d ye l a)

        R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
        (yah k s p r á v ee )

        Russian Empire had included Poland, Lithuania, Latvia , Estonia ,
        Belarus (Byelorussia), and parts of the Ukraine.
        Most inhabitants of the Congress Poland were Polish-speaking and
        Catholic.
        Three minorities (each about 5-10% of the total) were also present:
        Lithuanians (north from Suwalki), Ruthenians (professing Byzantine
        Catholicism) in the east and the Jews.
        There was also a small German-speaking group.

        In 1875 the Czar abolished Byzantine Catholicism (Uniate) rite and
        the faithful were forced to "convert" to Eastern Orthodox.
        In the beginning of the 20th century many of them converted to Roman
        Catholicism which resulted in their Polonization. Those who remained
        Orthodox usually felt themselves to be Ukrainians.

        My wife's paternal great GF had been a mayor of Vilnius (Wilno),
        Lithuania under the Russian Empire.
        Her great GM had a Polish maiden name but considered herself to
        be Lithuanian (Lietuvis^kas)

        Frank K