Re: surnames Kolina Kolena Kulina Franks reply

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June Mckee" <junemckee@y...>
      wrote:
      > Frank,
      >
      > Our name was always Kolina from back to when all of my fathers
      sibblings were born anyways. The change would have been at EI if any.
      My father always said that it was always spelled that way but because
      his mother would get so mad that it was always prounced wrong so they
      just changed the way it was said. he said that it would be prounced
      Ko lin a. the other spellings are ones that have been found at EI and
      in other places. I even seen their name mispelled on the 1920 census
      as colina. of course I know that happened alot.
      > Hungary is where we do know for sure they came from but the villiage
      is a good question.

      > June

      You had written Joseph Kolina, b. 3-17-1886 Hungary.
      Spouse Mary Boldizar.
      Surname Boldizar is found both in Slovakia and in former Yugoslavia.
      Boldizsár is a Hungarian surname spelling.

      There was also a Andrew Kolina , b. 5-31-1887.
      Spouse Clara Chizmar.

      In 1902, a József Kulina (Koolina), Slovak, age 16, emigrated to
      the US.
      His Last Residence was Eperjes (H) Pres^ov (Sk), Slovakia.
      He went to his brother's ? Kulina address at 3368 8th St NYC NY.

      In 1907, a Maria Boldizar, Magyar, age 21, emigrated to US from
      Hungary.
      She went to his husband's address at 28 Avenue B NYC NY.

      Frank K