Re: [S-R] surnames Kolina Kolena Kulina Franks reply

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2003
      Dear June,
      I see you suffering with this Kolina case already for long time. Why don't
      you just go and research places, where the Kolinas were in those times.
      There are not so many. This is what I do in such cases.
      I found Kolinas in Richvald Rc parish.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2003
        Dear Valdimir,

        You are right I do remember you telling me quite awhile ago that there were Kolinas in Richvald. would I check into the LDS first or what is the best way to start?
        June

        > Our name was always Kolina from back to when all of my fathers sibblings
        were born anyways. The change would have been at EI if any. My father always
        said that it was always spelled that way but because his mother would get so
        mad that it was always prounced wrong so they just changed the way it was
        said. he said that it would be prounced Ko lin a. the other spellings are
        ones that have been found at EI and in other places. I even seen their name
        mispelled on the 1920 census as colina. of course I know that happened alot.
        > Hungary is where we do know for sure they came from but the villiage is a
        good question.

        > June

        > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.513 (20030919) __________

        > http://www.eset.sk

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2003
          Dear June,
          Yes, start with LDS Richvald. There you will get acquainted with
          Kolinas.With little luck, you will find also clues to possible other
          locations.
          First check for the births in years around when your ancestor might have
          been born and pick all of Kolinas in a time window of about 6 years,
          plus/minus 3 years from what you think when he was born.
          Then go and check all marriage records of Kolinas, starting from the
          youngest, back to 1850 or so.
          Be careful and watch for information about the origin of every Kolina, that
          is there, male or female.
          Then go home and make a scheme of all those people you found. This will be a
          fragmental family tree.
          Put every married couple in a column, representing one generation.People on
          the left of one column are parents of that column and people on the right
          are children of that column.
          Make a list of locations ( if there were any new) of origins of Kolinas and
          have a look at the map, where they are, to see the migration pattern and
          also to find out, in which other parish they were. There is no genealogy
          without a good map. ( remember, your question is not who or when but where?)
          When there is any new location, which is quite possible, then you must
          repeat the same kind of search there too. As soon you will find a man, that
          might be your ancestor, you may quietly shout "Hooray".
          If there are more candidates for your ancestor, then you have to follow
          their lives, but this is already another story, for which you muct deposit
          another dime, next time.
          Wish you good luck and please, do report about findings and problems.
          Best regards,
          Vladimir

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/