Re: [S-R] Mongolian blue spots?

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2003
      Chris,

      Some babies are born with a blue spot that looks a bit like a bruise
      centered over the backbone, just above the buttocks. It commonly
      disappears with time - I believe months, if not years. This has
      occasionally led to worry about health, deformity or even accusations of
      child abuse. I understand it to be an Asiatic trait, but it is also
      supposed to be quite common among American natives, and in Europe is
      commonly attributed to the invasions of Avars, Magyars and Mongols.
      Thus there are concentrations of occurrence deep within France as well
      as central Europe.

      I hope that is a good start on the topic. A search on Google will
      reveal many write-ups and more information than most of us care to
      absorb!

      Ron