Re: [S-R] new york marriage for Kolina

  • cardarch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2003
      Just thought that maybe your father's NYC birth certificate (and all his
      siblings' birth certificates in case they spelled their names in a variety of
      ways) would state the names of his parents and you could then use those names to
      check out Ellis Island records. Dorothy

      In a message dated 9/27/03 8:35:11 PM, junemckee@... writes:

      << Does anyone have any suggestions, I keep running into block walls with my
      grandfather Kolina.

      I know about when my grandparents were married because of the children that
      they had. I know that my grandmother came in also at EI and that they lived all
      their life in Manhattan till they died. what my problem is, is that I am now
      for two years trying to find out for sure what villiages they came from. I
      have ideas but that is all it is, is ideas from what family members had told me.
      I sent off to the municipal archives for them to do a search for their
      marriage lisence, and it came back with nothing. I decided to look for myself so I
      can look at all of the different spellings of Kolina and ordered film #1543903
      at the FHL for new york city index to marriages in all boroughs for the years
      1910-1913. I found a Joseph Kolena which all the information given seemed to be
      my grandparents, of course there was no brides name so I couldnt be sure. I
      sent off for it and of course it is not them. I dont know where else to go to
      find the marriage records which I think is my best chance of pining down the
      villiages I am looking for. There are also good possibilities that they have
      been found on EI but I still dont know how to be sure that it is them. A Joseph
      Kulina seems to be my grandfather and a Maria Boldizsar could very well be my
      grandmother but I don't know how to find out for sure and what the next step
      would be.

      I have also sent off numerous times for naturalization papers for my
      grandmother, knowing with in a couple of years when she was naturalized because my
      father remembers but nothing ever turns up. any suggestions on where I should go
      from here? I do seem to have a harder time whenever it requires a search in
      New York.

      Thanks for your time
      June

    • Alyssa Eppich
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2003
        June,
        I found my ggf's village on his military papers; I found my ggm's on the back of their eldest child's death certificate. Have you got any old, previously "insignificant" papers from your family? My great grandfather's passport from 1922 also showed that he was visiting Velky Saris, so we knew we had corroboration. In addition, several old letters from 1952 also backed up this information. Hope that helps-
        Alyssa
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • June Mckee
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2003
          Alyssa,
          unfortunately I have been trying to track down some sort of papers from family members on the east coast but seems nobody has anything. I think that they were taken by the oldest daughter and when she passed away her daughter got rid of everything because she didnt think it would be of any use to the family. imagine that! I am still scraping around hoping to find something.