Re: [S-R] Re: Ivan Panamaroff

  • June Mckee
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2003
      I don't think that it could be the same Ivan because from what my mother has told me, her mother and grandmother came over from Russia via Hawaii to believed Oakland California alone because her grandmother was widowed in Russia. they didnt get here till abt. 1908 but said that grandfather never came. It still wouldnt hurt for me to look further into it. And yes it was a american death certificate that I found his name on.
      thanks for the information.
      June
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2003
        Correct is Ponomarov.
        Vladimir

        > In 1900, a Ivan Panamaroff (misspelled Pamanaroff), age 35
        > (b. abt. 1865), married, Russian, arrived in US via port of Bremen,
        > Germany.
        > He went to his brother ? in Bedford MA.
        > His Last Residence was listed as Blizna, Russia.
        > Perhaps Blizna, Poland (2) or Blizna, Belarus ?
        >
        > Jan, John, Jack, Joannes, Johannes, Jonas = Ivan |/| B A H (Cyrillic)

        > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.513 (20030919) __________

        > http://www.eset.sk

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
          wrote:
          > Correct is Ponomarov.
          > Vladimir

          /| A

          The surname could be || O H O M A P O B or || O H O M A P O o|o ?

          R 3 A 6 bl J| Bbl || O H |/| M A E T E || O-P y C C K |/|

          I was trying to illustrate by example to June that her great-GF could
          have emigrated with his name spelled Ivan Panamaroff and still have
          his given name be Jack in America.

          Jan, John, Jack, Joannes, Johannes, Jonas = Ivan |/| B A H (Cyrillic)

          Frank K
        • June Mckee
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2003
            I do appreciate getting the Russian spelling of Panamaroff. I wouldnt have known what to look for. Thanks Vladimir and Frank.

            June
            The surname could be || O H O M A P O B or || O H O M A P O o|o ?

            R 3 A 6 bl J| Bbl || O H |/| M A E T E || O-P y C C K |/|

            I was trying to illustrate by example to June that her great-GF could
            have emigrated with his name spelled Ivan Panamaroff and still have
            his given name be Jack in America.

            Jan, John, Jack, Joannes, Johannes, Jonas = Ivan |/| B A H (Cyrillic)

            Frank K

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2003
              Dear June,
              The spelling is Ponomarov, but the russian pronunciation is more like
              Panamarov. (like bolsoi = balshoi) Regarding Jack, there is no russian
              equivalent, because this is an english name. In US, he might have adopted
              just about any name, so he adopted the name Jack.
              Russian name, that actually would come closer to Jack is Jakov, which is
              Jakob. This is what an old book about such names says. Common sense too.
              Regards,
              Vladimir

              > I do appreciate getting the Russian spelling of Panamaroff. I wouldnt have
              known what to look for. Thanks Vladimir and Frank.

              > June

            • June Mckee
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 2003
                Vladimir,
                I do remember my mother pronouncing Panamaroff more like the Panamarov but with a "A" at the end of it which I would assume would have been femine? Her grandfather Jack if that was really his name she never knew and he never left Russia. He was said to have died there so her mother and grandmother came over without him. I think that my grandmother or her sister who were the informants on my g-grandmothers deathcertificate must have come up with the name Jack for some reason.

                June

                > I do appreciate getting the Russian spelling of Panamaroff. I wouldnt have
                known what to look for. Thanks Vladimir and Frank.

                > June

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor