Scribbles

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 1999
      Happy New Year to all, and may your ISP server thumb its electronic nose at
      any Y2K bugs.

      Because of intense withdrawal symptoms (my Family History Center has been
      closed all week) I just had to do a little data entry tonight. Now the
      Opina records are very interesting, because these Lutheran entries have many
      pencilled comments and underlines sprinkled throughout. In many cases, what
      looks like a date of death of the individual being baptised is scribbled in.
      sometimes there are other comments added in pencil or lightly inked in.

      Now one, a baptism record from 1840, adds the comments "kassa'n" under the
      child's name, followed by a + 1897, presumably the date of death, and the
      word "okan:" follows.

      I assume that these are Hungarian words or abbreviations. Does anyone have
      a clue what they might mean? The words do not appear on any lists that I
      have found. It did occur to me that the deaths noted in baptism records
      this way seem to date from the 1890's up to 1930's. Would these people
      perhaps be emigrants, who left the parish so that there were no death
      entries in the usual places? You would think that the people back home
      would want to keep track of such things, just out of habit...

      Andrea
    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 1999
        Andrea:

        The Slovak Pride index is now on line at
        http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/ if your looking for something to do.
        The index has 10,000 Slovak names and village of origin.

        The Slovak Heritage and Folklore Society International can also put you in
        touch with the person researching the surnames.

        We had real Slovak Borivicka (Juniper Brandy) here tonight.

        Vela a stastia v novom roku!

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2000
          Hi Andrea,

          What you are describing is a very common practice in the RCatholic
          registers I've read for both Sabinov (from late 1600's to 1895) and
          Zboro. I think it's probably pretty common in general, as it's also been
          that way in Lutheran registers I've read from Berlin.

          Mostly I've seen it for young children who died fairly soon after birth,
          where they would register the death there also (sometimes also noting it
          in the regular death register, sometimes not as I checked quite a few of
          them out when finding children in my line I did not know of who died
          young). However, I also have seen it for older people, but not as
          commonly.

          I've also seen confirmations and moving out of the village noted in the
          column for "observations". Also later marriages of an mother who had an
          illegitimate child.

          "kassa" is the word often used in that context, tho it is not in my
          Hungarian word book either. Could it be Kassa, isn't that the name for
          Kassau (spelling may be wrong)? I've seen that on the back of many
          photographs of my family, where the portrait studio was they used.

          "okan" is not in it , but "oka" is and it means "cause of".

          Happy 2000,

          Maura

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Judy (and Dr. Joe ) Quashnock
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2000
            Is there a hala'l somewhere near the "oka"? If so hala'loka - means cause
            of death.

            Dr. "Q"

            > What you are describing is a very common practice in the RCatholic
            > registers I've read for both Sabinov (from late 1600's to 1895) and
            > Zboro. I think it's probably pretty common in general, as it's also been
            > that way in Lutheran registers I've read from Berlin.
            >
            > Mostly I've seen it for young children who died fairly soon after birth,
            > where they would register the death there also (sometimes also noting it
            > in the regular death register, sometimes not as I checked quite a few of
            > them out when finding children in my line I did not know of who died
            > young). However, I also have seen it for older people, but not as
            > commonly.
            >
            > I've also seen confirmations and moving out of the village noted in the
            > column for "observations". Also later marriages of an mother who had an
            > illegitimate child.
            >
            > "kassa" is the word often used in that context, tho it is not in my
            > Hungarian word book either. Could it be Kassa, isn't that the name for
            > Kassau (spelling may be wrong)? I've seen that on the back of many
            > photographs of my family, where the portrait studio was they used.
            >
            > "okan" is not in it , but "oka" is and it means "cause of".
            >
            > Happy 2000,
            >
            > Maura
            >
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
            > sabinov@...
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2000
              No, that word was not present, but the writer may have had his own sytem of
              shorthand. These scribbles were for the minister's use. Now if the word
              "okan:" appeared does that mean "cause" or "death" considering that it
              follows the date 1897?

              > Is there a hala'l somewhere near the "oka"? If so hala'loka - means cause
              > of death.
              >
              > Dr. "Q"

            • Judy (and Dr. Joe ) Quashnock
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2000
                As Maura mentioned - oka - is "cause". I'm a little better at Latin,
                though. - - But it seems that you've got another mystery.

                Dr. "Q"

                > No, that word was not present, but the writer may have had his own sytem
                of
                > shorthand. These scribbles were for the minister's use. Now if the word
                > "okan:" appeared does that mean "cause" or "death" considering that it
                > follows the date 1897?

              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2000
                  Thanks, Maura. Are you saying that "kassa" refers to the child of unwed
                  parents? The word here is "kassa'n" with an accent over the second a. I
                  have not cross-checked with marriage records yet.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2000
                    No, I'm saying "kassa'n" could be Kassa, which is Kassau, which is now
                    (I believe) Kosice.

                    Could be the person died there and it was noted in the register as they
                    were buried there in the village?

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2000
                      Well, your guess is as good as mine, and probably a lot better! But it is
                      not a capital K. Nonetheless, I think logically that there is no need to
                      scribble in information about people that is preseved in the same records,
                      so if this person died in Kassa it would make some sense. After all, the
                      city was a mere 5-10 miles away, and today there are a couple of dozen
                      people with my own surname there. I will bet that a lot of people drifted
                      off to the cities from the small towns and villages, especially renters,
                      after the abolition of serfdom in 1781. It certainly is the case that some
                      people just disappear from the records, decades before we can presume that
                      they immigrated to America.

                      Has anyone you know seen the records from Kos~ice? It might make sense to
                      search certain years...
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2000
                        I don't know anyone off hand who's searched Kosice records, but that
                        entire region seems to be well filmed, so I'd check the FHC catalog
                        under all 3 names. Heaven only knows how it's listed!