Re: Maszt or Naszt, Hungary - Fatika

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "seasonendsx" <XxterenoxX@a...>
      wrote:
      > I am having so much trouble researching my family! On the Ellis
      > Island passenger records state that my Great Grandfather Janos
      > Fatika, resided in Naszt, Hungary. A few years later when my Great
      > Grandmother and her daughter came to this country they came from
      > Maszt, Hungary. I have looked all over the place to find Maszt or
      > Naszt, Hungary but to no avail. This is the only information that I
      > have available to me. Any help with this would be greatly
      > appreciated!!

      That is fairly easy.

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

      Bratislava (Sk) was called Pozsony in Hungarian.
      Stupava (Sk) was called Stomfa in Hungarian and is located 10 miles
      north of Bratislava.
      Mast (Sk) was called Mászt in Hungarian and is located 1 mile
      south of Stupava.
      The letter 'sz' is pron. 's' in Magyar.

      The János (John) Fatika who emigrated in 1905 went to his cousin
      Juraj (George) Kralovic in Perth Amboy NJ.
      János (H) Fatika's Last Residence had been Mászt, Hungary.

      The current Slovakia telephone directory lists a S^tefan (Stephen)
      Fatika under Stupava.

      Frank K