Re: S-R Surname research-Majercik et al.

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2003
      > Found a Janos Majornyik, born 1838, wife Anna Vasko, born 1845
      > living in Barancs of Zemplen Megye (Megye=County) at time of 1869
      > census.
      > May be same last name; cursive was hard to read on the microfilm.

      We both made the same mistake, you in reading 1869 census entry and I
      reading a 1900 ship manifest.
      script letter -e was read as -o.

      Ellis Island Records (EIR) 1892-1924 listed (surnames below)

      (The Last Residences were located in Upper-Hungary (i.e. Slovakia) and
      (Czecho) Slovakia)

      For example :
      Slovak
      (H)