Villages

  • Lisa Rhea Baker
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 1999
      Hi,
      I've been reviewing an LDS microfilm for the Roman Catholic church in Markusovce, Spis, Slovakia. I've run across two villages not listed in the coverage area and I am trying to locate them.

      Does anyone recognize:

      Terren Ollsee

      or

      Zavatka

      If so are they in the Markusvoce area? any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks

      Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
      twosocks@...
      http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html
    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 1999
        Zavadka is over the mountain from Markusovce.

        What names are you researching?

        You can find Zavadka on the map we have on the Markusovce page.

        Greg Kopchak
        http://www.iarelalative.com/markusov.htm

        I've been reviewing an LDS microfilm for the Roman Catholic church in
        Markusovce, Spis, Slovakia. I've run across two villages not listed in the
        coverage area and I am trying to locate them.

        Does anyone recognize:

        Terren Ollsee

        or

        Zavatka

        If so are they in the Markusvoce area? any help would be greatly
        appreciated.

        Thanks

        Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
        twosocks@...
        http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html

        [Attachments have been removed from this message]
      • stephanie_arvay
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 9, 2004
          Hi!

          I am looking for information on the villages, Csoma and Balogfalu.
          Where are they located, and what are they called today.
          I found lots of Arvai`s there. Thanks to the LDS.
          Thank you, Stephanie
        • Bohdana Badzio
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 9, 2004
            Hello Stephanie,

            if you are looking within today's Slovakia, there is C~AMOVCE, one on
            whose historical names is CSOMA; and BLHOVCE, previously called
            BALOGFALU, among other variant names. Both are located in what used
            to be FELEDI district of GO~MO~R E~S KIS-HONT county in Hungary.

            C~AMOVCE now is in district LUC~ENEC, and BLHOVCE in district
            RIMAVSKA~ SOBOTA, both in kraj (province?) BANSKA BYSTRICA, Slovakia.

            You can easily locate these places on an on-line map by searching for
            them with ShtetlSeeker (the name of the town on the results page is a
            link to the map showing its location):

            Bohdana

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stephanie_arvay"
            <stephanie_arvay@y...> wrote:
            > Hi!
            >
            > I am looking for information on the villages, Csoma and Balogfalu.
            > Where are they located, and what are they called today.
            > I found lots of Arvai`s there. Thanks to the LDS.
            > Thank you, Stephanie
          • stephanie_arvay
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 9, 2004
              Hello Bohdana

              Thank you for the information. This has really helped me.
              I did find one Arvai living in èamovace.My Dad said he will call her
              tomorrow morning, to see if there is any conection.
              Thanks again,
              Stephanie
            • Bob Pollak
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
                I am tracing my gg-grandmother, Anna PETRUSCSAK (PETRUSTSAK). The family showed up in Spisska Nova Ves about 1825. They came from Vlkovce (VILKOCZ) and Nemesany. These villages do not show up in Family Search. Does anyone know where these village records could be found? They probably are with another village.

                Thanks for any help

                Bob Pollak

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
                  The 1995 Census gave this as the only spelling that comes close to yours. Small number, 48 listings in 15 locations.
                  Priezvisko PETRUŠČÁK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 48×, celkový počet lokalít: 15, v lokalitách

                  Vlkovce sits surrounded by villages all under a population of 1000. Levoca is the nearest large town that a church in the village could be affiliated with.

                  In the Spisska Nova Ves telephone directory there are these variations on your surname:
                  Petruscak Petruszczak Petruszczak Petruscak Petruszczak Petruszczak Petruscak Petruszczak Petruszczak Petruscak Petruszczak Petruszczak Petruscak Petruszczak Petruszczak Petruscak Petruszczak Petruszczak Petruscak Petruszczak Petruszczak Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruscakova Petruszczakova Petruszczakova Petruska Petruszka Petruszka Petruska Petruszka Petruszka Petruska Petruszka Petruszka Petruskova Petruszkova Petruszkova Petruskova Petruszkova Petruszkova

                  None of the above appear in Vlkovce or Nemesany.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                    Bob,

                    The following was taken from FHL notes on Levoca. It seems strange that Vlkovce is not among the affiliated villages since it is only 3.5 km from Hradisko and literally at the end of the road.
                    “Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, mixed marriages, confirmations and military parish records for Levoča, Slovakia, formerly known as Lőcse, Szepes, Hungary. Text in Latin and Hungarian. Also includes affiliates Dlhé Stráže, Dvorce, Hradisko, Mečedelovce, Uloža, and Závada.”

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                      Bob,
                      I went to the Vlkovce website photogalerie. There was a picture of a trunk that was sent from the USA. The “post office” was in “Spiski Hrhov” / Spissky Hrhov. This might be a lead to where the Vlkovce parish was affiliated. The only listing on the FHL films for Spissky Hrhov is “affiliated town of Domaňovce”.
                      In the online Slovak records Vlkovce’s neighboring village, Hradisko is listed as a Greek Catholic village.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                        Bob & Michael
                        Vlkovce was and is in the Kez~marok district. Its records are in the neighboring Kez`marok parish of Tvaroz~na, first village to the north of Vlkovce. These are not online yet but available in microfilm from FHS.

                        Spissky Hrhov and Domanovce are southeast of Levoca. Vlkovce is at some remove northwest of Levoca. The Hradisko that is Greek Catholic is the one Saris, not this one.

                        Curt B.

                        > Bob,
                        > I went to the Vlkovce website photogalerie. There was a picture of a trunk that was sent from the USA. The “post office” was in “Spiski Hrhov” / Spissky Hrhov. This might be a lead to where the Vlkovce parish was affiliated. The only listing on the FHL films for Spissky Hrhov is “affiliated town of Domaňovce”.
                        > In the online Slovak records Vlkovce’s neighboring village, Hradisko is listed as a Greek Catholic village.

                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 5, 2011
                          The records for Nemesany are with those for Spisske Podhradie (Hungarian Szepeshely). Vilkocz is now Vlkovce (Hungarian Kiskunczfalva), and the records are on the same films.

                          Janet

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 5, 2011
                            Janet, have you seen the data for Vlkovce on the Spisske Podhradie films? The church in Vlkovce is affiliated with the church in Tvarnoza so I thought that the records for both churches would be on the same film.

                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 6, 2011
                              Janet,
                              I just received an email from the director of the Levoca Archive stating that the Vlkovce records are on the film for Tvarozna. But thank you for your input.

                              My original email was sent in both English and Slovak. I translated the English to Slovak using Google Translate and cut and paste. The translation must have been OK. The reply was in Slovak and I used Google Translate to get the English reply.

                              Bob