Re: Query

  • Terry L. Karkos
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mjs_ii@y...> wrote:
      > Grandfather
      > John P Sherbak
      > Grandmother
      > Elizabeth A Kohut
      > emigrated to Lisbon Falls Maine early 1900 (1901-1910)
      > Father is Michaal J Sherbak
      > Know of an Uncle - Michael J Sherbak whom he was named
      > after from Barberton Ohio
      > Think there was a daughter Barbara
      > Also a cousin - Clement G Scerbak from Pinellas Park
      > FL who worked for the State Department and had
      > daughters no sons
      > Have a friend Patric A Sherbak of Orange Park who i
      > was stationed with in the navy but have misplaed his
      > info
      >
      > Anyone out there know any of these people ??

      Hi, Mike. I don't know them but I've got obituaries for John P.
      Sherbak and Elizabeth Kohut's son Joseph M. Sherbak, Joseph's wife
      Barbara;

      John's wife Elizabeth Kohut's obit (she was born in Czechoslovakia
      Feb. 2, 1889 to Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Kohut; she wed John Sherbak in 1905
      and they came to America in 1910, settling in Lisbon Falls) and
      Elizabeth Kohut's husband John (his obit. says he was born in
      Czechoslovakia, July 9, 1884, the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Yager)
      Sherbak; John first came to U.S. in 1902 and worked for Pejepscot
      Paper Co. for 49 years);

      John and Elizabeth's son Michael J. Sherbak (born Sept. 29, 1914 in
      Pejepscot, a small community near Lisbon Falls; was employed by
      Portsmouth Naval Shipyard; died at his home in Exeter, N.H., on Oct.
      23, 1963; survived by widow Alice Woodside, etc.);

      John and Elizabeth's son John Paul Sherbak (born in Lisbon Falls,
      July 19, 1910; he died in Nebraska);

      I haven't found obit yet for Mrs. Anne Sherbak of Michigan who died
      in April 1975, but I have her funeral service notice.

      The obituaries I have all list survivors and where they were living
      at the time of the deaths and who they were married to, etc.

      My Karkos line may be related somewhere in the Sherbak line through
      an in-law or two, but I'm still looking into that.

      Came across them while researching Slovaks buried in Lisbon Falls'
      two Slovak cemeteries in Maine. Have done extensive microfilm
      searching and printing of Lewiston Evening Journal and Lewiston Sun
      Journal back issues of Slovak obituaries.

      I also have access to the Maine State Genealogical Archives in
      Augusta, where I've read thousands of microfilm files on births,
      deaths, marriages, etc., of Maine slovaks. I have notebooks filled
      with data and have been in the process of computerizing everything
      I've researched over past several years.

      My job as a daily newspaper reporter/photographer (grin, for the
      Lewiston Sun Journal), however, and getting married, has considerably
      shortened my time available to do genealogy research.

      Email me at pikagnome@... and I'll email you what I have.

      Will eventually post all the obituaries I've found and photos of the
      grave stones, markers, etc., on my Karkos genealogy web site when I
      have my 2-week vacation next month. Was supposed to go to Aspen for
      the annual John Denver Memorial week events, but don't have the money
      to go.

      May be able to put you in contact with some of your relatives through
      my Lisbon Falls contacts.

      P.S. Have seen the name spelled Sherbak, Cerbak, and Scerbak.

      -- Terry L. Karkos, P.O. Box 110, East Dixfield, Maine 04227