Re: [S-R] Rissdorf/Ruskinovce short history

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2003
      OK, I'll be more attentive to that.

      Thomas
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Ron Matviyak
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 4:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Rissdorf/Ruskinovce short history

      Thomas,

      Since most participants on this list are Americans working with modern
      maps of Slovakia and Central Europe, would you be kind enough to
      identify the villages by the Slovak name as well as the German one? I
      realize this is a departure from German practice, but this is not a
      primarily German group. Writing "Leibitz (Lubica)" will help us locate
      the village and place names you refer to and make following your stories
      much easier, and broaden your audience.

      I am probably one of few here who is comfortable in German, and if I do
      want to follow your comments then I have to pull out one of my books on
      the Karpatendeutsch and do the locates, and finally transfer to a modern
      map.

      Thanks in advance.

      Ron
      PS I am not trying to slight use of the Hungarian place names, just
      trying to get clarification one step at a time!
      Thomas Reimer wrote:

      > I don't have much on Rissdorf, about this information.
      >
      > Rissdorf, Riesdorf, Ruskinovce, in Magyar Ruszkin, about 7 km SE of Leibitz. Founded by Germans, mentioned first in 1272, that the St Agnes Church had been built in 1264. From 1412-1772 part of the 13 Zipser cities/villages whose tax income had been mortgaged to Poland (the Polish king assumed managerial duties in regards of the tax, but the mortgaged area remained politically always part of the Kingdom of Hungary). The still entirely German (Slovaks and Magyars who married into the community assimilated) village became Lutheran in the 16th century, but in 1674 the Habsburg king of Hungary suppressed the last Lutheran churches save for a handful of Artikularkirchen (from the Articular=Articles of the peace with the Protestant Magyar nobles). Rissdorf was among the churches that had to become again Catholic, and its Lutheran minister was expelled. According to a report about the Zips/Spis by Catholic Abbott Janos Sigray, in 1700 in Rissdorf there were s! till only 14 Catho!
      lics and
      > 60
      >

      > In 1921, the census counted 539 inh., of which 422 (78%) were still ethnic German, in 1930 547 inh., of which 372 (68%) were ethnic Germans. Virtually all Lutherans were Germans, about half of the Catholics, too. As there was no immigration to Rissdorf, it just meant that several German families decided to register as being of "Czechoslovak" ethnicity (the prewar Czech government denied the existence of a Slovak ethnicity), in order to survive better, as the Czech government discriminated against minorities, notably when giving relief, which was very important during the Great Depression that began in 1929.
      >

      > In terms of religion, there were 247 Lutherans (all Germans) in 1940. The last Lutheran minister was Julius Szepesi, the local church inspector (chair of the board of trustees) was Emmerich Lesch, the last Kantor Johann Fuhrmann. The Lutherans had their own churchbooks since 1783. The Rissdorf Germans were evacuated/fled in late 1944-early 1945, after it was feared that even the most unpolitical old grandmother was in danger of being killed because she was German. After World War II ended, most remaining Germans were deported under the Benes-decrees, with the occasional odd cases being able to remain due to unique circumstances (an official willing to alter the ethnicity from German to Slovak, for instance, out of kindness, or for some other form of recognition), esp. in mixed marriages. The desolate village was first merged with Javorina, and then in 1953 became a military area, the remaining Slovak inhabitants going to Vrbov (Menhard in German).
      >

      > I don't have private photos of Rissdorf from my great-grandfather's time. I have two books with a photo each, Rudolf, Zipser Land und Leute, p. 65 (shows whole village from a hill); Nordkarpatenland, p.184, (shows center with pond and both churches). I can make a photocopy and send it to you.
      >
      > Thomas

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor