Re: [S-R] Research questions

  • Ursula Greene
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
      Thank you Thomas! My grandmother, Maria SUGA, lived in RUSKINOCVE from the time of her return from Cementon, PA in 1914 (with her three sons, John (6) ... my father ... , Karel (3) and Pavel (not yet 1). My grandfather, Michael SUGA, remained in PA working for Whitehall Cement in an attempt to earn enough money to pay off the farm they had bought in Ruskinovce through the help of his sister, Maria Suga BANKOSH, who still lived there. The farms were apparently nearby to each other. Michael Suga sadly was burned horribly in an industrial accident and lingered three days in the hospital before dying. He is buried at St. Andrew's in Catasauqua. My grandmother remarried and became Maria Suga(ova) CZECHOVA and bore another child, a daughter, Maria, later, BLASCAKOVA. Sometime after the war, the Russian army came into Ruskinovce, uprooted the people of the village and confiscated their land. To my knowledge (through the help of my cousin who visited the area this summer but speaks no Slovak and had to rely on the translation skills of others), most of the people went to Vrbov. My parents were in touch with Maria Czechova BLASCAKOVA and her husband BARTOLOMY BLASCAK for many years. I am am uncertain though as to what life was like in those years other than extremely hard, lacking so many of the basics of ordinary life. I would be grateful for any photos of the village you could share or any anecdotal information about the village. Life patterns? the number of people in the village? church and religion? was there agriculture and farming? My father, who died when I was 22, was a dear man of few words. I so enjoy my memory of the recollections he shared with me about his growing up in Ruskinovce when I would come home from college for break and he and I would sit at the kitchen table, long into the morning, with him telling me stories. I think my efforts at genealogy, only come lately, are as much to reach as far into the past as I can,tracing the roots of my family's history, as to flesh out and add meat to the bones of those skeletal bits. My father's reminisces, though prized and treasured, are not enough to satisfy my hunger. I am sad to say, I valued the moments with him better than I remember the facts.
      So, again, ANY thing you can share about RISKINOVCE would be greatly appreciated. I did find one site that offered a photo. Since the text was in Slovak I am only assuming the picture is of Ruskinovce. There are two churches (your ancestor having been the Lutheran minister and my father's family being Catholic would explain that -- if this IS a correct photo, perhaps you can tell me which one is which). Do you know where I might find the records of Maria SUGAOVA's marriage to CZECH, the birth record of Maria CZECHOVA (my father's half sister) or the church records of Maria nee KLIMEK SUGAOVA CZECHOVA's death? My cousin did find the headstone my parents had erected in my/our grandmother's honor but she did not find the church (in Vrbov) where she belonged until her death in 1965. Thank you so much. Ursula

      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, September 19, 2003 1:10 PM

      I can't tell you about a legend, but I do have a book containing 1914
      Census data of Hungary. Let me know what towns and villages you are
      interested. I have the population, religious and ethnic makeup.
      The 1910 map isn't really topographical, per-se; it's more artsy-fartsy,
      but it does show some geographical makeup. A real topo map is here
      http://mapy.mk.cvut.cz/data/Slovensko-Slovakia/1_200%20000/26.jpg but
      before you click, I warn you it is 2MB in size.

      The nice thing about this topo map is that it shows clusters of homes,
      shown as little triangles. I'll guess that Habovka or Zuberer may have
      50-100 houses, perhaps 300 residents. They are both in a moderately
      sloping valley, along a stream. The stream feeds into a larger river,
      to the west (left) Thee roads were single-lane dirt (probably still
      single lane, but probably paved now.) There are some steep hills to
      the northeast (right up) and rugged hills to the east. The moderate
      hills to the south and southwest were likely made into pastureland. I
      would bet that looking south east from the village might look like this
      photo: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Zboj.htm

      Hope this helps.

      Bill