Re: Ruskinovce-Riessdorf

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2003
      For proper filing, I changed the subject line.

      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, September 19, 2003 1:10 PM

      I can't tell you about a legend, but I do have a book containing 1914
      Census data of Hungary. Let me know what towns and villages you are
      interested. I have the population, religious and ethnic makeup.
      The 1910 map isn't really topographical, per-se; it's more artsy-fartsy,
      but it does show some geographical makeup. A real topo map is here
      http://mapy.mk.cvut.cz/data/Slovensko-Slovakia/1_200%20000/26.jpg but
      before you click, I warn you it is 2MB in size.

      The nice thing about this topo map is that it shows clusters of homes,
      shown as little triangles. I'll guess that Habovka or Zuberer may have
      50-100 houses, perhaps 300 residents. They are both in a moderately
      sloping valley, along a stream. The stream feeds into a larger river,
      to the west (left) Thee roads were single-lane dirt (probably still
      single lane, but probably paved now.) There are some steep hills to
      the northeast (right up) and rugged hills to the east. The moderate
      hills to the south and southwest were likely made into pastureland. I
      would bet that looking south east from the village might look like this
      photo: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Zboj.htm

      Hope this helps.

      Bill