Re: Alyka/Alyi/Alya

  • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 1999
      Just catching up on things. Names used in daily lives was one of the
      topics--my grandmother was christened Maria, but her friends always called
      her "Mera." The Pronunciation has that "r" which sounds more like a cross
      between an r and a t, much like the r in stara. My aunt was called Vajlika
      which I gathered was the diminutive for Valeria, the name on her baptismal
      certificate from Slovakia. My mother was always called Aranka, but in the
      US, Irene was used. Another of my aunts was Bozhena,(English spelling, don't
      have a hacek on this machine.) and there is not really an English equivalent,
      someone chose Blanche. My other aunt was addressed as Lenorah, which someone
      decided was Eleanor. There wasn't much Slovak to English distortion with
      Josef and Jan. I guess what I am wondering was how many names were not only
      Latinized or Anglicized, but were chosen by the clergy? And like y'all--I
      find it much more interesting to know what names people actually used as real
      people. Caroline
    • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 1999
        Isn't Ilya more of a Russian name? Someone suggested hypnosis---I remember
        something about the diminutives of names in Russian ending with --ya. Slovak
        diminutives always seem to be either --ka or --om. Eastern Slovakia--why
        not toss in a few Russian names? Makes those old records even more
        interesting. C