Re: translations: causes of death and occupations

  • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
      Thanks, Joy--looks like I'm on the right track with those words.

      Jeff

      << Jeff:

      Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
      > believe translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?

      The modern Hungarian translation for "bout of influenza" is influenz�s
      megbeteged�s so, the word meghules you have may be a short version of
      megbetegedes or (as bout of the)"flu"

      > > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means
      "stomach
      > > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?

      The Hungarian word stomach can be etvagy, gyomor, hajlam, has, kedv or mersz
      depending upon usage. The word for cancer is rak or rak (betegseg),
      cancerous would be rakos beteg and a stomach ulcer is gyomorfekely, so, the
      word you have, gyomorak, has to be the term for stomach cancer.

      Good call!

      Best Regards,
      Joy Kovalycsik
      The Carpathian Connection
      http://www.tccweb.org/ >>
    • JK
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
        You are very welcome Jeff, glad to be of some assistance.

        Joy K
        The Carpathian Connection
        http://www.tccweb.org