Re: translations: causes of death and occupations

  • JK
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
      Jeff:

      Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
      > believe translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?

      The modern Hungarian translation for "bout of influenza" is influenz�s
      megbeteged�s so, the word meghules you have may be a short version of
      megbetegedes or (as bout of the)"flu"

      > > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means
      "stomach
      > > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?

      The Hungarian word stomach can be etvagy, gyomor, hajlam, has, kedv or mersz
      depending upon usage. The word for cancer is rak or rak (betegseg),
      cancerous would be rakos beteg and a stomach ulcer is gyomorfekely, so, the
      word you have, gyomorak, has to be the term for stomach cancer.

      Good call!

      Best Regards,
      Joy Kovalycsik
      The Carpathian Connection
      http://www.tccweb.org/
    • BeechCrRR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
        << here is another page that might be of some help........ <A
        HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm">Slovinky, Slovakia</A>
        http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm Go to bottom of page.....I have
        printed these pages out to keep with my research....makes it handy to refer
        to.....there is also a link for a Hungarian Dictionary on this page too. >>

        Cathy, this looks like an excellent source...I too will have to print it out
        for future reference. Thanks again!

        Jeff
      • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
          Thanks, Joy--looks like I'm on the right track with those words.

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
            You are very welcome Jeff, glad to be of some assistance.

            Joy K
            The Carpathian Connection
            http://www.tccweb.org