Re: translations: causes of death and occupations

  • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
      In a message dated 12/26/1999 6:54:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      BeechCrRR@... writes:

      > List,
      >
      > Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
      believe

      > translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?
      >
      > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means "stomach
      > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?
      >
      > Jeff
      Jeff,
      here is another page that might be of some help........ <A
      HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm">Slovinky, Slovakia</A>
      http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm Go to bottom of page.....I have
      printed these pages out to keep with my research....makes it handy to refer
      to.....there is also a link for a Hungarian Dictionary on this page too.

      Ancestry.com is still running there FREE acess.....just sign up for the FREE
      tryout........
      Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix

      I Get Paid to Surf the Web!....You can too, check it out
      following link! Last month, I made $25.42, it's easy, it's free!
      http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=EYC 741
      <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=EYC%20741">Welcome to
      AllAdvantage.com!</A>
    • JK
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
        Jeff:

        Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
        > believe translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?

        The modern Hungarian translation for "bout of influenza" is influenz�s
        megbeteged�s so, the word meghules you have may be a short version of
        megbetegedes or (as bout of the)"flu"

        > > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means
        "stomach
        > > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?

        The Hungarian word stomach can be etvagy, gyomor, hajlam, has, kedv or mersz
        depending upon usage. The word for cancer is rak or rak (betegseg),
        cancerous would be rakos beteg and a stomach ulcer is gyomorfekely, so, the
        word you have, gyomorak, has to be the term for stomach cancer.

        Good call!

        Best Regards,
        Joy Kovalycsik
        The Carpathian Connection
        http://www.tccweb.org/
      • BeechCrRR@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
          << here is another page that might be of some help........ <A
          HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm">Slovinky, Slovakia</A>
          http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm Go to bottom of page.....I have
          printed these pages out to keep with my research....makes it handy to refer
          to.....there is also a link for a Hungarian Dictionary on this page too. >>

          Cathy, this looks like an excellent source...I too will have to print it out
          for future reference. Thanks again!

          Jeff
        • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
            Thanks, Joy--looks like I'm on the right track with those words.

            Jeff

            << Jeff:

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
              You are very welcome Jeff, glad to be of some assistance.

              Joy K
              The Carpathian Connection
              http://www.tccweb.org