Re: translations: causes of death and occupations

  • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
      In a message dated 12/26/1999 4:17:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      BeechCrRR@... writes:

      > Subj: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] translations: causes of death and occupations
      > Date: 12/26/1999 4:17:17 PM Eastern Standard Time
      > From: BeechCrRR@...
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
      >
      > From: BeechCrRR@...
      >
      > Need some help translating the following causes of death:
      >
      > nesghules
      > gyornorrak
      >
      > ...and the following occupations:
      >
      > telkesgazda
      > foldeszes
      >
      > Any help is greatly appreciated!
      >
      > Jeff

      Jeff,

      From this site....... <A
      HREF="http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/Hungarian_Terms_and_Phrases.html">Hungarian
      Terms and Phrases</A>
      http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/Hungarian_Terms_and_Phrases.html

      telkes - (land owner or home owner in general?) could also refer to a
      "tenant"
      gazda - landowner (farmer); in reference to female "housewife" ?

      I couldn't find the others but lokk thru they have Hungarian & Latin
      translations
      Cathy
    • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
        Cathy,

        Thanks for the tip on the web site. I'm sure that will come in handy as I go
        along. As for the specific words below it looks like they still have some
        questions about the translations. Nonetheless it helps get me in the
        ballpark.

        List,

        Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I believe
        translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?

        Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means "stomach
        cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?

        Jeff

        << > Need some help translating the following causes of death:

        > nesghules
        > gyornorrak
        >
        > ...and the following occupations:
        >
        > telkesgazda
        > foldeszes
        >
        > Any help is greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Jeff

        Jeff,

        From this site....... <A

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
          In a message dated 12/26/1999 6:54:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          BeechCrRR@... writes:

          > List,
          >
          > Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
          believe

          > translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?
          >
          > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means "stomach
          > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?
          >
          > Jeff
          Jeff,
          here is another page that might be of some help........ <A
          HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm">Slovinky, Slovakia</A>
          http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm Go to bottom of page.....I have
          printed these pages out to keep with my research....makes it handy to refer
          to.....there is also a link for a Hungarian Dictionary on this page too.

          Ancestry.com is still running there FREE acess.....just sign up for the FREE
          tryout........
          Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix

          I Get Paid to Surf the Web!....You can too, check it out
          following link! Last month, I made $25.42, it's easy, it's free!
          http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=EYC 741
          <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=EYC%20741">Welcome to
          AllAdvantage.com!</A>
        • JK
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
            Jeff:

            Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
            > believe translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?

            The modern Hungarian translation for "bout of influenza" is influenz�s
            megbeteged�s so, the word meghules you have may be a short version of
            megbetegedes or (as bout of the)"flu"

            > > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means
            "stomach
            > > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?

            The Hungarian word stomach can be etvagy, gyomor, hajlam, has, kedv or mersz
            depending upon usage. The word for cancer is rak or rak (betegseg),
            cancerous would be rakos beteg and a stomach ulcer is gyomorfekely, so, the
            word you have, gyomorak, has to be the term for stomach cancer.

            Good call!

            Best Regards,
            Joy Kovalycsik
            The Carpathian Connection
            http://www.tccweb.org/
          • BeechCrRR@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
              << here is another page that might be of some help........ <A
              HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm">Slovinky, Slovakia</A>
              http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm Go to bottom of page.....I have
              printed these pages out to keep with my research....makes it handy to refer
              to.....there is also a link for a Hungarian Dictionary on this page too. >>

              Cathy, this looks like an excellent source...I too will have to print it out
              for future reference. Thanks again!

              Jeff
            • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                Thanks, Joy--looks like I'm on the right track with those words.

                Jeff

                << Jeff:

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                  You are very welcome Jeff, glad to be of some assistance.

                  Joy K
                  The Carpathian Connection
                  http://www.tccweb.org