Re: [S-R] Moravcsik

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2003
      In a message dated 9/14/03 6:44:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rjmoravs@... writes:

      > . NONE of the records showed a spelling of Moravcik or any
      > variation, other then Moravcsik.

      my great grandmother was from Liptovska Teplicka and her last name was
      Michalcsek. there is the "cs" combination. however, it is now spelled Michalsek.
      is it possible that the one spelling was Hungarian or Slovak and then it
      reverted to the opposite? I always believed that the cs combination was Slovak but
      was never convinced as to the reason that the name changed.

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2003
        Dear Noreen,
        The cs cobination is purely hungarian.
        A slovak equivalent has a c with a small v on it, to be pronounced ch.
        Vladimir