translations: causes of death and occupations

  • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
      Need some help translating the following causes of death:

      nesghules
      gyornorrak

      ...and the following occupations:

      telkesgazda
      foldeszes

      Any help is greatly appreciated!

      Jeff
    • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
        In a message dated 12/26/1999 4:17:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        BeechCrRR@... writes:

        > Subj: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] translations: causes of death and occupations
        > Date: 12/26/1999 4:17:17 PM Eastern Standard Time
        > From: BeechCrRR@...
        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
        >
        > From: BeechCrRR@...
        >
        > Need some help translating the following causes of death:
        >
        > nesghules
        > gyornorrak
        >
        > ...and the following occupations:
        >
        > telkesgazda
        > foldeszes
        >
        > Any help is greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Jeff

        Jeff,

        From this site....... <A
        HREF="http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/Hungarian_Terms_and_Phrases.html">Hungarian
        Terms and Phrases</A>
        http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/Hungarian_Terms_and_Phrases.html

        telkes - (land owner or home owner in general?) could also refer to a
        "tenant"
        gazda - landowner (farmer); in reference to female "housewife" ?

        I couldn't find the others but lokk thru they have Hungarian & Latin
        translations
        Cathy
      • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
          Cathy,

          Thanks for the tip on the web site. I'm sure that will come in handy as I go
          along. As for the specific words below it looks like they still have some
          questions about the translations. Nonetheless it helps get me in the
          ballpark.

          List,

          Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I believe
          translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?

          Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means "stomach
          cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?

          Jeff

          << > Need some help translating the following causes of death:

          > nesghules
          > gyornorrak
          >
          > ...and the following occupations:
          >
          > telkesgazda
          > foldeszes
          >
          > Any help is greatly appreciated!
          >
          > Jeff

          Jeff,

          From this site....... <A

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
            In a message dated 12/26/1999 6:54:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            BeechCrRR@... writes:

            > List,
            >
            > Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
            believe

            > translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?
            >
            > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means "stomach
            > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?
            >
            > Jeff
            Jeff,
            here is another page that might be of some help........ <A
            HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm">Slovinky, Slovakia</A>
            http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm Go to bottom of page.....I have
            printed these pages out to keep with my research....makes it handy to refer
            to.....there is also a link for a Hungarian Dictionary on this page too.

            Ancestry.com is still running there FREE acess.....just sign up for the FREE
            tryout........
            Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix

            I Get Paid to Surf the Web!....You can too, check it out
            following link! Last month, I made $25.42, it's easy, it's free!
            http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=EYC 741
            <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=EYC%20741">Welcome to
            AllAdvantage.com!</A>
          • JK
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
              Jeff:

              Upon further digging, "nesghules" may actually be "meghules" which I
              > believe translates to "flu"--can anyone confirm?

              The modern Hungarian translation for "bout of influenza" is influenz�s
              megbeteged�s so, the word meghules you have may be a short version of
              megbetegedes or (as bout of the)"flu"

              > > Also, "gyornorrak" may really be "gyomorrak" which I think means
              "stomach
              > > cancer." Again, can anyone confirm?

              The Hungarian word stomach can be etvagy, gyomor, hajlam, has, kedv or mersz
              depending upon usage. The word for cancer is rak or rak (betegseg),
              cancerous would be rakos beteg and a stomach ulcer is gyomorfekely, so, the
              word you have, gyomorak, has to be the term for stomach cancer.

              Good call!

              Best Regards,
              Joy Kovalycsik
              The Carpathian Connection
              http://www.tccweb.org/
            • BeechCrRR@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                << here is another page that might be of some help........ <A
                HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm">Slovinky, Slovakia</A>
                http://www.iarelative.com/slovinky.htm Go to bottom of page.....I have
                printed these pages out to keep with my research....makes it handy to refer
                to.....there is also a link for a Hungarian Dictionary on this page too. >>

                Cathy, this looks like an excellent source...I too will have to print it out
                for future reference. Thanks again!

                Jeff
              • BeechCrRR@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                  Thanks, Joy--looks like I'm on the right track with those words.

                  Jeff

                  << Jeff:

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                    You are very welcome Jeff, glad to be of some assistance.

                    Joy K
                    The Carpathian Connection
                    http://www.tccweb.org