Re: [S-R] new to the group

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
      Ko"rtve'lyes (Körtvélyes) is present day Spis^sky' Hrus^ov (Spišský Hrušov)

      Former Hungarian and German names of present day Spissky Hrusov (postal
      code: 053 63)

      1253 - Kurtues
      1255 - Kurtuelus
      1294 - Horusk, Hurusk
      1364 - Hruschfálva, Hruskfálva
      1368 - Grussov
      1386 - Graucza
      1495 - Gravross
      1500 - Hrussow
      1773 - Grussow, Ko"tve'lyes, Ko"rtve'lesz, Bierndorff
      1786 - Hrussow, Ko"tve'lyes, Ko"rtwe'lyesch, Birndorf
      1808 - Grausch, Hrussow, Ko"tve'lyes, Birndorf
      1863-1902 - Ko"tve'lyes
      1907-1918 - Szepesko"rtve'lyes, Grausch, Birndorf
      1920 - Hrus^ov
      1927 - Spissky Hrusov

      Spissky Hrusov is 38 km (24 miles) west of Presov, 10 km (6 miles) east
      of Spisska Nova Ves, 46 km (29 miles) northwest of Kosice, 12 km
      southeast of Levoca, and 300 km (195 miles) northeast of Bratislava.

      The name S^ofranko was very common in the town. There is now only one
      "family" a man about 60 years old living in Spissky Hrusov with the name
      of Sofranko. A great great aunt (by marriage) married a Valentine
      Sofranko in 1868 . A great great aunt by marriage married a Jacob
      Sofranko in 1883 after the death of her first husband (my great great
      uncle).

      See Family History Center microfilms 1739885: 1861-1896 parts 1-2 and
      1739903: 1713-1861 parts 6-9

      "hruso" is the Slovak word for pear, "korte" is the Hungarian word for
      pear. The crest of the town is a tree on a hill with four pears on the
      tree. The colors on their banner is a green field, with a yellow strip
      on one side and a white strip on the other. A story in the area claims
      that the tree had some mysteroius powers. On the west side of town,
      there are the remains of a church (jut the steeple) which was destroyed
      by the Turks a few hundred years ago. The Roman Catholic Church, Saint
      Catharine (Kostol sva"ta' Katari'ny) is next to city hall. The church
      has an ajoining chapel St. Sofia (Kaplnka sva"ta' Z^ofie) on the north
      side. The nobility and aristocrats of the village were buried in the
      cemetery next to the church. The grave markers have the Hungarian names
      of Ujfalussy and Marissasy and Piller (perhaps a Slovak name). BIO-BHMG
      is the only industry in Spissky Hrusov, it is a company that
      manufactures automobile fuel from plants (bio waste).

      At one time, I had a URL for a web page from Spissky Hrusov, but I
      cannot locate it at the moment.

      Good luck.

      Dr. "Q"

      richazehels wrote:

      >Hi!
      >
      >My name is Rich Sofranko and I'm new to this group. I am interested
      >in information regarding my gradfather Jacob Sofranko. I have
      >already searched the Ellis island site and determined his town of
      >origin to be Szepes Kortvelyes, Hungary. He considered himself to be
      >a Slovak by ethnicity. Having browsed some of the previous messages
      >here, I have learned that his village is likely called Hruov in
      >Slovakia. I am intrigued by the notion that my name, ending in "ko",
      >may actually be Carpatho-Rusyn in origin.
      >
      >Other family names of interest to me are: Zehel, Jankura,
      >Stomsky/Swomska(?).
      >
      >It is great to be a part of this group.
      >
      >Rich S

    • richazehels

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2003
          Welcome to the group Rich!

          Hmm. My references for the village show slightly different names:

          SZEPESKORTVELYES (1907-1913)
          KORTVELYES 1863-1902
          SPISSKY HRUSOV 1948-present

          You want to be careful looking, since a search for HRUSOV will come up
          blank.

          At the Mormon's Family History Library
          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp , you'll
          find:
          Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898
          Authors Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spišský Hrušov (Spišská
          Nová Ves) (Main Author)

          Notes Pôvodné dokumenty boli mikrofilmované v Štátnom oblastnom archíve
          v Levoči.
          --------
          Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for
          Spišský Hrušov, Slovakia, formerly known as Körtvélyes, Szepes, Hungary.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          also an entry in:
          Urbéri tabellák, 1767-1773
          Authors Magyarország. Helytartótanács (Main Author)

          Notes Az eredeti iratok mikrofilmre vétele Budapesten a Magyar Országos
          Levéltárban történt.
          --------
          Feudal land tenancy census records of Hungary, the so-called "Urbarium"
          or "Urbéri tabellák", a document that defines the goods and services
          that a serf was obligated to give to the feudal lord. Includes names of
          landowners and serfs. Arranged by counties, and within the counties by
          villages in alphabetical order. Includes primarily the years 1767-1773,
          with some entries and the index covering the years 1723-1848. Some areas
          that were in Hungary when these records were kept are now in Slovakia,
          Romania and Ukraine.

          I would suggest a trip to the FHC is your next step.
          Good Luck,

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          My name is Rich Sofranko and I'm new to this group. I am interested
          in information regarding my gradfather Jacob Sofranko. I have
          already searched the Ellis island site and determined his town of
          origin to be Szepes Kortvelyes, Hungary. He considered himself to be
          a Slovak by ethnicity. Having browsed some of the previous messages
          here, I have learned that his village is likely called Hruov in
          Slovakia. I am intrigued by the notion that my name, ending in "ko",
          may actually be Carpatho-Rusyn in origin.

          Other family names of interest to me are: Zehel, Jankura,
          Stomsky/Swomska(?).

          It is great to be a part of this group.

          Rich S

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2003
            Dear Rich,
            Welcome to this list and good luck in your research.  I am interested in
            finding out where your Jankura family came from in Slovakia.  my grandmother's
            mother was a Jankura from the Kezmarok area.  a town just outside of Majerka.
            Noreen

          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2003
              The Spissky Hrusov link is below:

              http://www.gymsnv.sk/~d1sk/x0dsofj/ <http://www.gymsnv.sk/%7Ed1sk/x0dsofj/>

              Dr. "Q"

              Dr. Joe Q wrote:

> [...]
              >manufactures automobile fuel from plants (bio waste).
              >
              >At one time, I had a URL for a web page from Spissky Hrusov, but I
              >cannot locate it at the moment.
              >
              >Good luck.
              >
              >Dr. "Q"
              >

              >richazehels wrote:
              >

              >>Hi!
              >>
              >>My name is Rich Sofranko and I'm new to this group. I am interested
              >>in information regarding my gradfather Jacob Sofranko. I have
              >>already searched the Ellis island site and determined his town of
              >>origin to be Szepes Kortvelyes, Hungary. He considered himself to be
              >>a Slovak by ethnicity. Having browsed some of the previous messages
              >>here, I have learned that his village is likely called Hruov in
              >>Slovakia. I am intrigued by the notion that my name, ending in "ko",
              >>may actually be Carpatho-Rusyn in origin.
              >>
              >>Other family names of interest to me are: Zehel, Jankura,

            • libmaw2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2003
                At last, another Sofranko researcher! Welcome! My maternal
                grandmother was Anna Maria Sofranko, born about 1880, somewhere in
                the Spis area. She was orphaned as a child, raised by relatives, and
                came to the US, Uniontown, PA, about 1900.

                I have not been able to find any print record of her, until the
                baptism of her first child in 1902. Before that I have only a bare
                few family memories.

                I have not found her in the EIDB, but have found a number of other
                Sofrankos, many of them from Spissky Hrusov. Many of the women are
                Anna, but none are mine 8^(

                I have collected some other Sofranko info. If you are interested,
                please contact me.

                Mary Anne
                (researching Sofranko & Simasek)

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "richazehels" <rich@v...> wrote:
                > Hi!
                >
                > My name is Rich Sofranko and I'm new to this group. I am
                interested
                > in information regarding my gradfather Jacob Sofranko. I have
                > already searched the Ellis island site and determined his town of
                > origin to be Szepes Kortvelyes, Hungary. He considered himself to
                be
                > a Slovak by ethnicity. Having browsed some of the previous
                messages
                > here, I have learned that his village is likely called Hruov in
                > Slovakia. I am intrigued by the notion that my name, ending
                in "ko",
                > may actually be Carpatho-Rusyn in origin.
                >
                > Other family names of interest to me are: Zehel, Jankura,
                > Stomsky/Swomska(?).
                >
                > It is great to be a part of this group.
                >
                > Rich S
              • richazehels
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29, 2003
                  Hi Mary Anne! Great to get a reply from you. I am from Uniontown
                  PA. My grandpap Jacob originally settled in Star Junction (near
                  Perryopolis) and later moved to Uniontown. He had several siblings,
                  most were brothers. I don't have all their names handy, but I plan
                  to contact one of my aunts to get additional details.

                  On the street I grew up on there was an older couple named Sofranko,
                  who claimed they were no relation to us. The husbands name was
                  Stephen P Sofranko. On one of the social security death index web
                  sites, he is listed as born in 1904. I am wondering if he may have
                  some relation to you.

                  Rich

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "libmaw2000" <waltzm@r...> wrote:
                  > At last, another Sofranko researcher! Welcome! My maternal
                  > grandmother was Anna Maria Sofranko, born about 1880, somewhere in
                  > the Spis area. She was orphaned as a child, raised by relatives,
                  and
                  > came to the US, Uniontown, PA, about 1900.
                  >
                  > I have not been able to find any print record of her, until the
                  > baptism of her first child in 1902. Before that I have only a bare
                  > few family memories.
                  >
                  > I have not found her in the EIDB, but have found a number of other
                  > Sofrankos, many of them from Spissky Hrusov. Many of the women are
                  > Anna, but none are mine 8^(
                  >
                  > I have collected some other Sofranko info. If you are interested,
                  > please contact me.
                  >
                  > Mary Anne
                  > (researching Sofranko & Simasek)
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "richazehels" <rich@v...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Hi!
                  > >
                  > > My name is Rich Sofranko and I'm new to this group. I am
                  > interested
                  > > in information regarding my gradfather Jacob Sofranko. I have
                  > > already searched the Ellis island site and determined his town of
                  > > origin to be Szepes Kortvelyes, Hungary. He considered himself
                  > be
                  > > a Slovak by ethnicity. Having browsed some of the previous
                  > messages
                  > > here, I have learned that his village is likely called Hruov in
                  > > Slovakia. I am intrigued by the notion that my name, ending
                  > in "ko",
                  > > may actually be Carpatho-Rusyn in origin.
                  > >
                  > > Other family names of interest to me are: Zehel, Jankura,
                  > > Stomsky/Swomska(?).
                  > >
                  > > It is great to be a part of this group.
                  > >
                  > > Rich S
                • Marilyn Sandorf
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 29, 2003
                    Hello Sofranko researchers,
                    I am not researching this name, but wanted to offer some ideas. I am also from Uniontown (and have relatives from Spis) and was surveying St. Mary's cemetary in Uniontown and saw the Sofranko name on at least one stone. My parents have lived there all their lives and know some Sofrankos. Uniontown Public Library has a very good local history room which I spent time in while in town 2 months ago. They have a web site that describes their resources. I found obits of several ancestors with useful information. They have a small but great staff. Fayette County courthouse will search naturalization and other records for a small fee.

                    Good luck,
                    Marilyn Sandorf

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT