Re: Ancestry etc

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
      I don't have a selection function on my printer, so I have to do the
      whole thing :(

      As for the going from page to page and making it difficult etc, here is
      my personal opinion on that.... I see more and more genealogy sites,
      such as Ancestry and Rootsweb, going to those banner advertisements on
      the tops of pages to generate income. I know that is why Rootsweb does
      it as it was discussed at length on several of the Listowners' lists
      there. They get only a few pennies per hit, but multiply that by
      millions of views (a recent survey found Ancestry and Rootsweb in the
      top 3 of genealogy sites with over 200,000 hits a day) and that adds up
      to a lot of $$$. So why put things up clearly when you can make someone
      search around, go to many pages and generate more hits for you ?
      Maybe I'm cynical, but that's what I think is behind this.

      I like Ancestry very much, the site and the magazine, but in order to
      stay competitive and make money they are having to do some things that I
      don't agree with, as is Rootsweb (hence why this list isn't housed there
      as are my others).

      Ancestry doesn't pay much either to those who transcribe all those
      databases. I looked into that, thought it would bring in some extra cash
      to fund some genealogy things of my own, but found they pay very very
      little, were only offering around $200 to transcribe an entire section
      of a Brooklyn NY census. Obviously I didn't do it..... you realize that
      is how they get all those databases..... it's only what people offer to
      do for them.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
        Dear Maura and List:

        When reading everyones posts, I highlight information that I feel would be
        helpful, and hit EDIT on the bar at the top of AOL....then I hit copy, and I
        copy/paste to a word processing program. I keep a file for that particular
        month and copy/paste all pertinent information in to that file....then I save
        and print. this way I do not get all the "extra" information that I am not
        interested in. Saves on paper, ink cartridges and space, plus if I lose the
        hard copy, I can just print the file again.

        Kind of elementary but works for me.

        Rosemary - Las Vegas
      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
          Hi Everyone - for those of us without AOL, we can do the same thing by
          highlighting the text and hitting "control c"; then enter Word or a
          text program, place the cursor where you want to insert the text you
          just highlighted and press "control v". THat deposits the text that was
          highlighted. You can then edit it and add together a string of related
          information. You do loose the formatting and font that the original
          HTML page displayed. If you want to add the URL to identify your
          source, you can return and highlight the URL and transfer it the same
          way.

          In about ten years I figure I'll have this worked out to an orderly
          system.

          Merry Christmas!

          Ron

          PS, I did have some luck on Ancestry com, just additional information on
          the family of the grandfather that died when my mom was an infant.