Translation please

  • Ron Rafajko
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2003
      I found this in the notes of an 1869 Hungarian Census for Brezova pod
      Bradlom. I was wondering if someone could tell me what it says, or if
      there are any good web sites that will translate this to English for
      free.

      zivi sa jako pomocnik obci

      THANKS!

      ~Ron Rafajko
      American Fork, Utah
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2003
        My translation web site recommendations are here
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        I found this in the notes of an 1869 Hungarian Census for Brezova pod
        Bradlom. I was wondering if someone could tell me what it says, or if
        there are any good web sites that will translate this to English for
        free.

        zivi sa jako pomocnik obci

        THANKS!

        ~Ron Rafajko
        American Fork, Utah

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Rafajko" <rrafajko@n...>
          wrote:
          > I found this in the notes of an 1869 Hungarian Census for Brezova
          pod
          > Bradlom. I was wondering if someone could tell me what it says, or
          if
          > there are any good web sites that will translate this to English for
          > free.
          >
          > zivi sa jako pomocnik obci
          >
          > THANKS!
          >
          > ~Ron Rafajko
          > American Fork, Utah

          (Slovak)

          134 years ago perhaps z^iví sa jako pomocník obc^i
          supports self as public (civil) helper

          now a 'pomocník' can have other occupational meanings ?
        • lub kov
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2003
            zivi sa ako pomocnik obci

            could be translate as "his job is helper or assistant of willage"

            Lubos

          • fc_popovich
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2007
              Na základe priezvisk obzvate¾ov Brutoviec môžeme uvažova, že medzi
              tieto rodiny patrili aj prislušnici rodin Joskiè. Popoviè a iné.

              :) Anyone care to translate this sentence from "Brutovce 1268-1998"
              for me please.

              With some translation books and dictionaries I can pick out (I think)
              the words; foundation, population, jews(?), consider, from, among,
              family, belong, nationality, family........

              And what might this mean: 1) staršich obèanov dediny
              2) prisažni

              Thanks in advance.
              Fran
            • Peter Hladký
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 15, 2007
                Dear Fran

                Here is the translation:

                Based upon surnames of Brutovce inhabitants we can consider, that these
                families belonged also to members of families of Joskic, Popovic and others.

                1) starsich obcanov dediny = eldery citizens of the village
                2) prisazny = sworn / under oath

                Of course, you have to place correct accent and other special signs above
                particular letters in Slovak words.

                Have a nice rest of the day.

                Best wishes

                Peter

                Na základe priezvisk obzvate¾ov Brutoviec môzeme uvazova, ze medzi
                tieto rodiny patrili aj prislusnici rodin Joskiè. Popoviè a iné.

                :) Anyone care to translate this sentence from "Brutovce 1268-1998"
                for me please.

                With some translation books and dictionaries I can pick out (I think)
                the words; foundation, population, jews(?), consider, from, among,
                family, belong, nationality, family........

                And what might this mean: 1) starsich obèanov dediny
                2) prisazni

                Thanks in advance.
                Fran

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                __________ Informacia od NOD32 2592 (20071015) __________

                http://www.eset.sk
              • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Dear Fran

                  translation: " Based on the Surnames of people living in Brutovce, we can consider that family meners of Joskic, Popovic and others belonged to these families.'

                  Starsich obcanov dediny - 'elder people of the vilage'

                  I hope this helps.

                  Kind regards

                  Sylvia

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 17, 2007
                    Thank you Sylvia, appreciate your help.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
                    <sali777@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Fran
                    >
                    > translation: " Based on the Surnames of people living in
                    Brutovce, we can consider that family meners of Joskic, Popovic and
                    others belonged to these families.'

                    > Starsich obcanov dediny - 'elder people of the vilage'
                    >
                    > I hope this helps.
                    >
                    > Kind regards
                    >
                    > Sylvia
                    >
                    > fc_popovich <fc.hendrickson@...> wrote:
                    > Na základe priezvisk obzvate¾ov Brutoviec môžeme
                    uvažova, že medzi
                    > tieto rodiny patrili aj prislušnici rodin Joskiè. Popoviè a iné.
                    >
                    > :) Anyone care to translate this sentence from "Brutovce 1268-
                    1998"
                    > for me please.
                    >
                    > With some translation books and dictionaries I can pick out (I
                    think)
                    > the words; foundation, population, jews(?), consider, from, among,
                    > family, belong, nationality, family........
                    >
                    > And what might this mean: 1) staršich obèanov dediny
                    > 2) prisažni
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    > Fran

                  • Ja Stoll
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 11 4:35 PM
                      Hi, Would someone please help me by translating what it says below Clemens fathers name and tell me what the name of the town he was born in was
                      Thank you

                      Line #70 Clemens

                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-360529-43?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-XMR:n989453373

                    • MGMojher
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 11 5:38 PM
                        OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                        1773 Lettnicz, Letnitz, Letnicze, 1786 Lettnicz, 1808 Letnicz, Letnice, 1863, 1888–1900 Lettnic, 1873–1882 Letnic, 1900–1913 Letenőc, 1920 Letnice, Letničie, 1927– Letničie

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 11 5:39 PM
                          The place looks like "Letniz." Mapquest.com shows Letnice (with a diacritical mark over the c), a hamlet about a mile se of the town of Petrova Ves. A small hamlet so close to a larger town would not be likely to have had its own church. The photo shows the church in Petrova Ves - this link has more photos: http://www.petrovaves.sk/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66:kostol&catid=23:cirkev&Itemid=94.

                          As for the word under the father's name - could it be his occupation?

                          Good luck -
                          Marny Sekac Janson

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 11 5:45 PM
                            Ja Stoll,

                            The first word looks like "faber" which means a person who works in hard
                            materials such as wood, stone or metal. A forger, smith, artificer or
                            handicraftsman.

                            The second word looks like "jerey" or "serey". I cannot find anything in my
                            Latin dictionary what comes close to anything similar.

                            Perhaps a more advanced Latin scholar in the group can give you some insight
                            on the second word.

                            Good Luck,

                            Frank Plichta

                            "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                            Hi, Would someone please help me by translating what it says below Clemens
                            fathers name and tell me what the name of the town he was born in was
                            Thank you

                            Line #70 Clemens

                            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-360529-43?cc=1554443
                            <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-360529-43?cc=1554443&wc=M
                            99C-XMR:n989453373> &wc=M99C-XMR:n989453373

                          • CurtB
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 11 7:54 PM
                              I think you got it right Frank. He is an iron worker or forger, but the word for iron is abbreviated here. Others have already identified the town.

                              Curt B.