Re: Ancestry etc

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
      I agree, they do seem to make it complicated for the user... even
      something as simple as making you print out two pages to get one little
      item printed because of all the advertising they have at the top. What a
      waste of ink!

      Also, I have to use my back button a lot as they have only links to go
      back to the general searching page, not the page of the database you
      were searching.

      And if you are a webtv user, or can't accept cookies for other reasons,
      every time you go there under the free offer you have to re-register
      with a different name and password (because your original one is
      "taken", never mind it's taken by YOU). Found that out the hard way last
      night :(

      Still, I found a few helpful things on that Connecticut database, and
      they have those indexes to the 1790-1870 US censuses that I am
      utilizing, but that's about it for me.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
        Maura, use your selection function on your printer to avoid all the adverts
        etc.

        You are sure they aren't trying to hide information, right? :-) Their web
        site is so awkward they might as well! But, I do appreciate the chance to
        search some databases, no matter how awkward.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
          I don't have a selection function on my printer, so I have to do the
          whole thing :(

          As for the going from page to page and making it difficult etc, here is
          my personal opinion on that.... I see more and more genealogy sites,
          such as Ancestry and Rootsweb, going to those banner advertisements on
          the tops of pages to generate income. I know that is why Rootsweb does
          it as it was discussed at length on several of the Listowners' lists
          there. They get only a few pennies per hit, but multiply that by
          millions of views (a recent survey found Ancestry and Rootsweb in the
          top 3 of genealogy sites with over 200,000 hits a day) and that adds up
          to a lot of $$$. So why put things up clearly when you can make someone
          search around, go to many pages and generate more hits for you ?
          Maybe I'm cynical, but that's what I think is behind this.

          I like Ancestry very much, the site and the magazine, but in order to
          stay competitive and make money they are having to do some things that I
          don't agree with, as is Rootsweb (hence why this list isn't housed there
          as are my others).

          Ancestry doesn't pay much either to those who transcribe all those
          databases. I looked into that, thought it would bring in some extra cash
          to fund some genealogy things of my own, but found they pay very very
          little, were only offering around $200 to transcribe an entire section
          of a Brooklyn NY census. Obviously I didn't do it..... you realize that
          is how they get all those databases..... it's only what people offer to
          do for them.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
            Dear Maura and List:

            When reading everyones posts, I highlight information that I feel would be
            helpful, and hit EDIT on the bar at the top of AOL....then I hit copy, and I
            copy/paste to a word processing program. I keep a file for that particular
            month and copy/paste all pertinent information in to that file....then I save
            and print. this way I do not get all the "extra" information that I am not
            interested in. Saves on paper, ink cartridges and space, plus if I lose the
            hard copy, I can just print the file again.

            Kind of elementary but works for me.

            Rosemary - Las Vegas
          • Ron Matviyak
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
              Hi Everyone - for those of us without AOL, we can do the same thing by
              highlighting the text and hitting "control c"; then enter Word or a
              text program, place the cursor where you want to insert the text you
              just highlighted and press "control v". THat deposits the text that was
              highlighted. You can then edit it and add together a string of related
              information. You do loose the formatting and font that the original
              HTML page displayed. If you want to add the URL to identify your
              source, you can return and highlight the URL and transfer it the same
              way.

              In about ten years I figure I'll have this worked out to an orderly
              system.

              Merry Christmas!

              Ron

              PS, I did have some luck on Ancestry com, just additional information on
              the family of the grandfather that died when my mom was an infant.