RE: [S-R] Ruthenia

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
      If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates that
      Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at locally.
      You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if you
      put the request in now.

      Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
      Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
      Nižná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas), Ung,
      Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
      Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
      Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.

      Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references to
      assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.

      Have you worked with their FHCs before?

      Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
      someday.
      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill@i...>
        wrote:

        > If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates
        that
        > Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at
        locally.
        > You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if
        you
        > put the request in now.
        >
        > Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
        > Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
        > Ni¾ná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas),
        Ung,
        > Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
        > Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
        > Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
        >
        > Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references
        > assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.
        >
        > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
        > Have you worked with their FHCs before?
        >
        > Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
        > someday.
        > ______________
        > Bill Tarkulich

        The online Ellis Island Records list only 6 surnames Kuriplach.

        In 1899, a János (H) John Kuriplach , age 38, married,
        emigrated from Alsóribnyicza, Hungary.
        In 1907, a János Kuriplach, age 47, married, emigrated
        to address of his brother-in-law János Podolak in Andeuried
        PA.
        He came with his daughter, Anna, age 16.
        Both were born in Alsóhalas, Hungary and Final Destination
        was Audenreid PA.
        John had been in U.S. previously (1900/1913) and I think this was the
        same János Kuriplach both times.

        Beaver Brook was located in Luzerne CO PA.
        Audenreid was located in Carbon CO PA near McAdoo which was located in
        Schuylkill CO PA.

        Expect surnames Kuriplach in PA can't have been Protestant because
        there was :

        St. Patrick's Church (Irish)
        St. Mary's Church (Slovak)
        St. Stephen's Church (Magyar)
        and St. Mary's Ukrainian Church

        http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~sfpayer/Pictures/MineScenery/pages/Mc
        AdooAero.htm

        Niz^ná Rybnica is located 234 miles ENE of Bratislava and just
        1 miles west of Sobrance in eastern Slovakia.

        Today, Niz^ná Rybnica is in two sections along a kanal (canal)
        Rybník means a fish pond or lake in Slovak.

        The LDS has filmed the Calvinist church records (1747-1938) for Niz^ná
        Rybnica (Sk) Alsó-Ribnyicza/Alsóhalas (H)
        Listed under Lúc^ky ; formerly Lucska, Ung megye, Hungary.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        Incidently, in 1960 a large artificial lake (Zemplinska' s^irava) was
        created for industrial purposes and it stretches from Michalovce and
        beyond Luc^ky eastward.
        Neither is the Danube River blue because of industrialization.
        Although the (Viennese) Blue Danube Waltz by Johann Strauss Jr. has
        endured for over a century.
        ' An der Schönen blauen Donau "
        (On the Beautiful Blue Danube)
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
          Dear Frank and others involved,
          I don't know, whether you ever have researched the Greek catholic records,
          but usually, there is a great portion of them written in cyrillic script,
          which is a challenge even for those, who know well russian.
          The names often need some sort of translation and the writing might well be
          almost impossible to decypher. Such a situation does intimidate, because, if
          you can not positively identify a couple or even more of records, any
          research is useless and very frustrating.
          I do read russian, but had trouble with some records. While on the spot, the
          Internet help does not help you. One would have to copy everything and bring
          it home, which is not possible or just too much.
          A novice at the Greek catholic films has almost no chance to be successful.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          > > If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates
          > that
          > > Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at
          > locally.
          > > You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if
          > you
          > > put the request in now.
          > >
          > > Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
          > > Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
          > > Ni¾ná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas),
          > Ung,
          > > Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
          > > Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
          > > Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
          > >
          > > Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references
          > > assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.
          > >
          > > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          > > Have you worked with their FHCs before?
          > >
          > > Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
          > > someday.
          > > ______________
          > > Bill Tarkulich

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
            wrote:
            > Dear Frank and others involved,
            > I don't know, whether you ever have researched the Greek catholic
            records,
            > but usually, there is a great portion of them written in cyrillic
            script,
            > which is a challenge even for those, who know well russian.
            > The names often need some sort of translation and the writing might
            well be
            > almost impossible to decypher. Such a situation does intimidate,
            because, if
            > you can not positively identify a couple or even more of records,
            any
            > research is useless and very frustrating.
            > I do read russian, but had trouble with some records. While on the
            spot, the
            > Internet help does not help you. One would have to copy everything
            and bring
            > it home, which is not possible or just too much.
            > A novice at the Greek catholic films has almost no chance to be
            successful.
            > Regards,
            > Vladimir

            Dear Vladimir,

            What you write may be true of the LDS Greek Catholic microfilms.

            I have transliterated both Greek Catholic (Byzantine) rite and
            Russian Orthodox church records to English , however, these were all
            from American churches.

            Greek (Byzantine) Catholic rite or Russian Orthodox in U.S. raises
            another interesting subject.

            http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:LdePLLBFAvAJ:feefhs.org/fij/peter
            s1.html+Ruthenian+and+Russian+Orthodox&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

            From my reply to Elizabeth Dente re McAdoo PA, US Ukrainian (Russian
            Orthodox) Church below.

            http://216.239.39.104/search?hl=en&q=cache:ChELUqsEYugJ:http://w3.mivl
            md.cablespeed.com/~sfpayer/Pictures/MineScenery/pages/McAdooAero.htm+M
            cAdooaero

            http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:ChELUqsEYugJ:w3.mivlmd.cablespeed
            .com/~sfpayer/Pictures/MineScenery/pages/McAdooAero.htm+McAdooaero&hl=
            en&ie=UTF-8

            Regards,

            Frank K

          • Alyssa Eppich
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
              Vladimir,
              I believe that the Cyrillic you see in old GC records is actually old church Slavonic, which is why it's such a challenge!
              Alyssa

              > > If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates
              > that
              > > Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at
              > locally.
              > > You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if
              > you
              > > put the request in now.
              > >
              > > Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
              > > Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
              > > Ni¾ná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas),
              > Ung,
              > > Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
              > > Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
              > > Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
              > >
              > > Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references
              > > assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.
              > >
              > > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
              > > Have you worked with their FHCs before?
              > >
              > > Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
              > > someday.
              > > ______________
              > > Bill Tarkulich

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                Dear Alyssa,
                You probably don't know, that I am a bad partner to talk to about so called
                "Church slavonic":-)
                I do not accept this term, although it is in all dictionaries etc. The word
                "slavonic" is an old mistake.
                Slavonija is a part of Croatia and has nothing to do with the matter.Imagine
                this: on Internet I found a site that mentions " Slavonic dances" of Antonin
                Dvorak. It should have been "Savic dances"
                Such stupidities make me mad. Antonon ( a Czech), must be turning in his
                grave.
                What we encounter in most of the Gc records is not Old church slavic. The
                letters are cyrillic and the records can be found even in the 20 century!
                The language is rather Rusyn or Ukrainian.
                In order to be able to read such records,, one has to know the russian
                language at least, if not the Rusyn one. Very often, the script is so bad,
                that you really have to be a detective and code breaker to figure out, what
                the name is and what the record says. By not bing able to read this
                properly, any "research" is waste of time.
                Best,

              • Alyssa Eppich
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                  Vladimir,
                  Although I agree that the term "slavonic" is a misnomer, it is unfortunately accepted in most academic circles. I was a Russian studies major(many many years ago), so although I can read Russian, I'm pretty rusty speaking it. It has helped, however, to have this backround as I research.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                    wrote:
                    > Dear Alyssa,
                    > You probably don't know, that I am a bad partner to talk to about so
                    called
                    > "Church slavonic":-)
                    > I do not accept this term, although it is in all dictionaries etc.
                    The word
                    > "slavonic" is an old mistake.
                    > Slavonija is a part of Croatia and has nothing to do with the
                    matter.Imagine
                    > this: on Internet I found a site that mentions " Slavonic dances" of
                    Antonin
                    > Dvorak. It should have been "Savic dances"
                    > Such stupidities make me mad. Antonon ( a Czech), must be turning in
                    his
                    > grave.
                    > What we encounter in most of the Gc records is not Old church
                    slavic. The
                    > letters are cyrillic and the records can be found even in the 20
                    century!
                    > The language is rather Rusyn or Ukrainian.
                    > In order to be able to read such records,, one has to know the
                    russian
                    > language at least, if not the Rusyn one. Very often, the script is
                    so bad,
                    > that you really have to be a detective and code breaker to figure
                    out, what
                    > the name is and what the record says. By not bing able to read this
                    > properly, any "research" is waste of time.
                    > Best,
                    > Vladimir

                    Dear Vladimir and Alyssa (below)

                    Slavic can be a branch of the Indo-European family of
                    languages, usually divided into East Slavic, West Slavic,
                    and South Slavic.

                    East Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian)
                    West Slavic (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Sorbian)
                    South Slavic (Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Bulgarian,
                    Old Church Slavonic)

                    Did you actually mean Russian Cyrillic or Old Church Slavonic ?

                    Russian Orthodox has a standard form for sacramental registers.
                    B bI || |/| C b |/| 3 b M E T P |/| | E C K O |/|

                    K P E ||| E H |/| I A = baptism

                    also there are short-form certificates

                    Only modern Old Church Slavonic alphabet was a fore runner of Cyrillic
                    alphabet.

                    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ocslavonic.htm

                    Although Church Slavonic is sometimes called "Old Church Slavonic,"
                    "Old Slavonic," or "Old Church Slavic," it has been revised several
                    times throughout its history, most recently in the 18th century under
                    the Empress Elizabeth. The term "Old Church Slavonic" properly
                    belongs to the form of the language that was used in the 9th-12th
                    centuries and not to the modern form of Church Slavonic that is
                    currently used in the Russian Orthodox
                    Church.
                    Below deals almost exclusively with the modern form of the language.

                    http://justin.zamora.com/slavonic/alphabet/transliteration.html
                    http://justin.zamora.com/slavonic/alphabet/diacritics.html

                    http://park.kiev.ua/multiling/koi8-u/translit.html

                    I believe root word meanings depend on where one is standing ?

                    Slovenia had once been part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans until
                    it gained its independence in 1990s.
                    Slovakia had once been part of Czechoslovakia in Central Europe until
                    it gained its independence in 1993.

                    If you write to Slovenija and don't use Slovenia, the letter gets
                    mailed to Slovakia.
                    If you address the envelope to Slovensko (Slovakia) the letter is
                    probably sent to Slovenia.
                    U.S. Postal Service only recognizes these two countries under
                    "Slovenia" and "Slovak Republic".

                    Have read any number of pre-WW I ship manifests and 1900/1910/1920
                    U.S. Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean
                    either a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable was
                    the writer)

                    There was confusion even back then which continues into 2003.

                    A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
                    Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war was being waged)
                    The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
                    Bratislava,Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct
                    address in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

                    A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
                    and was denied entry.
                    The Slovak border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was
                    convinced it was a forgered Slovakia passport.
                    After conversation with the customs supervisor the Slovenian was able
                    to convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

                    Frank K

                    Service.

                    email to

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.489 (20030819) __________

                    > > http://www.eset.sk

                  • Alyssa Eppich
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                      Frank,
                      Thanks! I could not have done better!
> [...]

                      U.S. Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean
                      either a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable was
                      the writer)

                      There was confusion even back then which continues into 2003.

                      A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
                      Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war was being waged)
                      The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
                      Bratislava,Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct
                      address in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

                      A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
                      and was denied entry.
                      The Slovak border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was
                      convinced it was a forgered Slovakia passport.
                      After conversation with the customs supervisor the Slovenian was able
                      to convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

                      Service.

                      email to

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.489 (20030819) __________

                      > > http://www.eset.sk

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Alyssa Eppich
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                        Frank,
                        Thank you, too, for providing access to the sites on modern Slavonic-I will end up spending all afternoon looking at them!
                        Again,
> [...]

                        U.S. Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean
                        either a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable was
                        the writer)

                        There was confusion even back then which continues into 2003.

                        A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
                        Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war was being waged)
                        The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
                        Bratislava,Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct
                        address in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

                        A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
                        and was denied entry.
                        The Slovak border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was
                        convinced it was a forgered Slovakia passport.
                        After conversation with the customs supervisor the Slovenian was able
                        to convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

                        Service.

                        email to

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.489 (20030819) __________

                        > > http://www.eset.sk

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Frank
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa Eppich" <eppicha@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > Frank,
                          > Thank you, too, for providing access to the sites on modern
                          Slavonic-I will end up spending all afternoon looking at them!
                          > Again,

                          Alyssa

                          You will want Zamora's website Help Me Learn Church Slavonic.

                          http://justin.zamora.com/slavonic/

                          The correct Kiev Kyyi K || B Kiiv URL :

                          http://cad.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua/multiling/koi8-u/

                          C h A C T J| |/| B O !

                          Frank
                        • Alyssa Eppich
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                            Spasibo!
                            Alya

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
                              Dear Frank,
                              I know and I understand, that the term Old church slavonic is widely
                              accepted.
                              But i do not think, it is accepted by the Slavic slavicists.
                              The word slavonic refers to Slavs. But it is the wrong word, somebody picked
                              for that.
                              If you translate "old church slavonic" back to a slavic language, what do
                              you get? A nonsense.
                              Slavs used to be called Slovani, Slavjani, Sloveni etc, but never Slavoni or
                              Slavonci.
                              I really wish, somebody would understand this.
                              Slavonic can only pertain to Slavonia or Slavonians or Slavonci, as they are
                              called.
                              For all the Slavs, it should have been Slovanic or Slavic or even Slavjanic,
                              but never Slavonic.
                              talking about Slovan - Slovanic, I am not sure, whether the word Slavonic is
                              not just a result of dislexia, so unbelieveable it may sound. I see no other
                              explanation.
                              When reading Ellis Island records, one can see, hom much trouble the english
                              or german or french speaking officers had when they had to write Slovakia or
                              Slovenia. Unbelievable, what did they come up with.
                              On the other hand, I can understand, that since none of you is speaking
                              slavic languages, you just can not have the same feeling about this mistake
                              as I do.
                              But what would you say, if the Slavs would be saying Amuricans instead of
                              Americans?

                              This warmed me up.Thank you.
                              Mr.Lowell Brigham, a member of the list, just walked into my office half an
                              hour ago, with his wife and a slovak cousin. He is all right, going to see
                              the Tatras for the next couple of days and will be back on Sunday.
                              Best,
                              Vladimir