Re: Digest Number 141

  • Mike & Bev
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 1999
      I have a membership to Ancestry.com and have found very little useful info.
      However, I find the best way to get the most results is to put in the
      surname only. This way you get more hits and can then narrow it down to
      your location as the data bases are grouped by geographical location. For
      example, I am researching the name SEKEY. I type in that only and get a
      number of hits. I then go to the index for Wisconsin census data as I
      believe this is where they would be located to see if I can find the given
      names I am looking for. This name is uncommon and doesn't produce many
      results. If I look for ENGLE, I get more results than I can wade through so
      I go back and narrow it down with a given name and/or location. To me, this
      is the easiest way to view their data bases. In addition to doing my
      original search, I go to advanced search and do the same thing as this
      provides different data bases than the original search (at least from what I
      have seen). I also do the "new data bases" search as it seems they are
      seperated from the rest of the data bases. I have no idea why they make it
      seem so complicated, but that is the way it seems to me. I would think you
      could use one search engine to search and view all data bases at once. Good
      luck to everyone. I hope someone can find something worthwhile.

      Beverly

      > Subject: Beginners at Ancestry site free for 2 weeks!
      >
      > Maura,
      >
      > This is a busy holiday season, but perhaps you or some other subscribers
      > can give a few pointers on what and how to search on the Ancetry (and
      > any) web. I called it up and all I can think to do is look for familiar
      > names in the geographic area and time frame that I know they were
      > there. So far I would say Iam without luck - but I can't determine if
      > it is due to lack of my ancestors being on these data bases or me
      > searching the wrong one or searching it in the wrong way.
      >
      > So I am searching by
      >
      > name, variation of name
      > time
      > geographic location
      >
      > Any other hints - other than re-read the FAQ and get some experience?
      >
      > Merry Christmas to All, in case I don't write again before the Holiday!
      >
      > Ron
      >
      > PS I had no trouble accessing some selected 'free' data bases the first
      > night, and after signing on it appears to all be free...
      >

      > Message: 17
      > Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:46:39 -0600 (CST)
      > From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
      > Subject: Re: Using Ancestry
      >
      > Ron and all,
      >
      > the thing you have to remember is that the databases at Ancestry are
      > rather "hit and miss" in terms of what they have, and will only be
      > useful to you if they have something in an area you are searching.
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 1999
        Beverly,

        Thanks for the comments. It is good to know that results can be thin
        and hard to find, and then the description of your methods - usng both
        general and specific search - is handy. I'll have to give it a try, and
        probably will do as Maura does - check it once a year, as their data
        bases do not seem to coincide with my familie's activities.

        If I end up pleasantly surprised, with some results in hand, I will let
        you know!

        Ron