TRAVEL COSTS

  • Mary Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      Hi, does anyone know how much it cost to travel from Hamburg or Bremen to New
      York steerage class from say 1885 thru 1900? thanks, Mary

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        My recollection is the range of US $20 to $30, which was a "package
        deal", including European ground transportation to the port. Now go
        figure what the present value of that was. I believe at the time people
        were earning 10-20 cents an hour in the US and in Hungary, they might
        have only been earning a couple of pennies an hour.
        In my region (east Slovakia) often they borrowed money from the priest.)
        Bill Tarkulich.

        Hi, does anyone know how much it cost to travel from Hamburg or Bremen
        to New York steerage class from say 1885 thru 1900? thanks, Mary

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/