Why We Suffer

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 1999
      These edifying remarks come from http://ihff.nwy.at/index.htm/
      where there is a very informed discussion of the problems we face in
      researching archives of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

      "Furthermore until about 1800 a great deal of Latin, often exclusively, is
      used by the recording clergy; here too we come up against a further hurdle
      since this Latin is by no means classical Latin bur rather a debased
      medieval Latin with its own idiosyncrasies.

      Some of the very particular arcane expressions used in church entries occur
      over and over - here too a certain amount of practice will be required - a
      book dealing with this, alas only in a German format is:
      VERDENHALVEN Fritz: 'Familienkundliches W´┐Żrterbuch'. "