Re: [S-R] Brezlow?

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1 9:45 PM
      At 02:54 PM 1/09/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >ahoj Nick,
      >
      >My theory of the location of Brezlow ? is different.
      >
      >In 1923, a Sidi Hirsch, age 28, married, Hebrew, emigrated to
      >her husband's (Benjamin Hirsch) address : 416 E. 3rd Street NYC.
      >Her Last Residence was Wien (Vienna), Austria.
      >In Yiddish Sarah is Sore , so perhaps Sidi was named Sadie ?
      >Her birthplace was Brezlow ?, Czechoslovakia .
      >There was no country called Czechoslovakia until the WW I Hungarian
      >peace treaty in 1920.
      >In Upper Hungary (Slovakia) R.C. parish churches kept the Jewish
      >records.

      She didn't convert to Judaism the family was Jewish , My father was born in
      Nove Mesto nad Vahom . I have a birth place of Velke Polo for my uncle and
      on his immigration papers ( to Australia) it says The village of Pole and
      then Uherce , Topolcany . Does that help?

      As you say there was no Czechoslovakia when any of my father's family was
      born, but papers produced after 1920 say Czechoslovakia , my father told
      me they were Slovak, there are relatives of my aunty's living in Nove Mesto
      NV. I have got some limited information from them but like Oliver Twist I
      want more.

      I'll see if the FHC has films for B√°novce nad Bebravou.

      Thanks for your help.
      Nick
    • cardarch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2 4:10 AM
        In a message dated 9/2/03 12:45:18 AM, nickh@... writes:

        << >ahoj Nick, >>

        Just wondering, is "ahoj" pronounced "ahoy"? That is the greeting Alexander
        Graham Bell said the first time he picked up the first phone, and is also the
        greeting Montgomery Burns on the Simpson's show uses when he picks up the
        phone. Does it mean "hello?"