Re: [S-R] Group Support/Opinion Please

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
      Check the soundex records for immigration to east coast ports. The local
      FHC can help you to locate the specific rolls.

      Bill Brna

      On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:11:22 EDT VivHy@... writes:

      > I have an ancestor who immigrated from Kosice, Slovakia to New York
      > in 1888.
      > On his application for citizenship he stated that he arrived in New
      > York on
      > 30-Nov-1888. Where would I find immigration records for that day.I
      > have searched
      > some manifests...but am coming up void....were there other areas of
      >
      > debarkation besides New York City in the state of New York? How
      > complete are the
      > records for that period? My main research support has been the FHC.
      > Maybe I just
      > have someone who is not that versed in finding anyone in
      > immigration. I thought
      > maybe to reverse the process and check records for his embarkation
      > in
      > Europe....which brings me to my next question...if, in 1888, one was
      > leaving Kosice to
      > come to America...what port was standard for that trip?
      >
      > I have good before immigration records and good after immigration
      > records....but NO immigration records.
      >
      > I am open to any and all suggestions. Not asking anyone to do the
      > lookups...just aim me to where records may possibly exist. Need some
      > imput or speculation
      > from anyone....He may have made the boat in 1888 but it is 2003 and
      > for some
      > reason I am still "missing the boat". LOL
      >
      > Thanks
      > Vivian

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, VivHy@a... wrote:
        > Noreen,
        >
        > What port did your Presov ancestor leave from?
        >
        > I have citizenship copies that were sent to me by a genealogical
        society in
        > Olyphant, PA about 8 years ago. I have no idea where they got them
        from...guess
        > I should do a follow-up.
        >
        > It appears to be copies of sometype of document that was trifolded.
        Document
        > #9133; Petition of Andrew Haytovik (HAJTOVIK) of Archbald Boro. for
        Admission
        > to Citizenship. Filed Dec. 15th 1902. States that he arrived at the
        Port of
        > New York 30th day of November, 1888. States that on 14-Sep-1896 he
        declared on
        > oath his intention to become a citizen. Gives names of witnesses.
        All appears
        > to have been done in Lackawanna County, PA. No mention of the form
        you were
        > referring to.
        >
        > I found nine ships that pulled into that port on 30-Nov-1888, but
        there may
        > have been more. Six came out of the West Indies. One from Port
        Leinon (origin
        > unknown ? ), one from Liverpool and one from Glasgow/Morille. There
        is a note
        > that the Liverpool film is not readable...Wanna Bet that is the one
        I want or
        > need?
        >
        > Vivian

        ahoj Vivian,

        In 1901 a Maria Hajtovik, age 13, arrived in US via Ellis Island
        (NYC) from the port of Rotterdam, Holland.
        She went to her father A. Haytovik in Olyphant PA.
        Her Last Residence was Kavocsan, Hungary.
        That would be the Hungarian spelling Kavocsán for Kavec^any (Sk)
        which is located 193 miles ENE of Bratislava and only 5 miles distant
        from Kos^ice.

        In Slavic languages like Slovak and Hungarian the letter j is pron. y.

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records (1788-1895)
        for Kavec^any, Slovakia, formerly Kavecsán, Sáros, megye, Hungary.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        1978929
        1978930

        I had some paternal surname bearers who were coal miners in
        Olyphant PA.

        This anthracite (hard) coal mining region was located in NE PA.
        Especially, Schuylkill,Luzerne, Lackawanna, Carbon COs.

        Coal miners and coal miner's daughters as the old song goes.

        Once spent a year (actually 150 working days) at a NARA center,
        researching Slavic surnames in PA coal mining regions from the
        1900/1910/1920 U.S. Census enumeration microfilms.
        There is no 1890 U.S. Census because it was destroyed in a fire
        in 1921.

        I searched the 1900 U.S. Census line by line for Olyphant and area for
        my surnames.
        No luck.

        Contacted the Genealogical Research Society of Northeastern
        Pennsylvania in Olyphant PA.
        It used to be free (1997) but now they charge ridiculous fees.
        No luck with their research.
        They said 3% of names in their DB were mis-translated by non-Slavic
        speaking (reading) clerks.
        That is par for the genealogy course
      • VivHy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
          ahoj Frank and all responders,

          Frank wrote: In 1901 a Maria Hajtovik, age 13, arrived in US via Ellis
          Island(NYC) from the port of Rotterdam, Holland.She went to her father A. Haytovik
          in Olyphant PA. Her Last Residence was Kavocsan, Hungary.That would be the
          Hungarian spelling Kavocsán for Kavec^any (Sk) which is located 193 miles ENE of
          Bratislav and only 5 miles distant from Kos^ice.

          Response from Vivian: She is the daughter of the Andrew that I am trying to
          document. Andrew and his first wife, Anna, came in 1888 with their two-year old
          daughter. Maria stayed behind with Anna's parents. Know location of
          Kavecany...went there in 1997 after I found Joe had ancestors there...found some
          distant cousins of his...and now we go back every fall...will be leaving again for
          three weeks on Sep 17.

          Frank wrote:The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records
          (1788-1895) for Kavec^any, Slovakia, formerly Kavecsán, Sáros, megye, Hungary.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian. film #1978929 & 1978930.

          Response from Vivian: Am one up on you there, Frank. I ordered those films in
          1995 from the LDS....and since all my children have good-paying jobs and
          would not be relying on any monentary inheritance from me....I photocopied them
          page by page...and have them in nice three-ring binders. The records have been
          very helpful, as the family was there from the inception of Sts. Peter and
          Paul Roman Catholic Church. Fr. Ondej at the church in Kavecany told me that he
          was going to research and find out where the people of Kavecany attend church
          before Sts. Peter and Paul were founded in 1788. If there is anyone who has
          ancestors from ther, I am available to do lookups for Kavecany, SLOVAKIA

          Frank wrote:I had some paternal surname bearers who were coal miners in
          Olyphant PA.

          Response from Vivian: Who were some of your other lines. The following
          married into my HAJTOVIK line - ZURY (ZORIE), SEKELESKY, BECKAGE, DUBRAVCAK, STAS,
          ZOVOLENSKY, URBANOVICH.

          Frank wrote: Once spent a year (actually 150 working days) at a NARA center,
          researching Slavic surnames in PA coal mining regions from the 1900/1910/1920
          U.S. Census enumeration microfilms. There is no 1890 U.S. Census because it
          was destroyed in a fire in 1921. I searched the 1900 U.S. Census line by line
          for Olyphant and area for my surnames. No luck.

          Response from Vivian: At the present time I am line-by-line reading the 1900,
          1910, 1920 and 1930 census for the Olyphant, Blakely, Dickson City, Scott
          Township, Jessup and Throop area. I can't trust the index of Ancestry.com..have
          one HYTOVICK that Ancestry indexed as HYTOUI. My ZURY was spelled ZORIE. So out
          of desperation I have excluded the middle man and am reading them
          myself...Some of them for the second time...but I am finding "my lost souls" here and
          there....and not where they "thought they were" LOL I have came to the
          conclusion that once the last kid was gone Mom and Dad sold the farm...and rotated
          living between the kids homes!

          Frank wrote: Contacted  the Genealogical Research Society of Northeastern
          Pennsylvania in Olyphant PA. It used to be free (1997) but now they charge
          ridiculous fees. No luck with their research. They said  3% of names in their DB
          were mis-translated by non-Slavic speaking (reading) clerks. That is par for
          the genealogy course.

          Response from Vivian: Am a member of that society...but the only thing that
          they were able to do for me was to send me a photocopy of the Petition for
          Citizenship....and could never find out were they got their copy from. I have not
          had any newsletters from them in some months, and my last couple of emails
          bounced back....and the website had an "under construction" page. So I don't
          know. My husband was born in Dickson City (Peckville) and we went back a couple of
          times for vacation and I attempted research...I found some things at the
          courthouse...not a lot...or maybe I was just not asking the right questions to get
          the right answers...And the priests at Holy Ghost and Sts. Cyril and
          Methodius all but said NO when I asked if they would do some early lookups in their
          register...got a song and dance number...left money and SASE mailers...and to
          date nothing. Oh well, no one every said that Genealogy was Cheap!

          Thanks to all for all of the responses, both on the List and Private email.
          Vivian

        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
            Vivian,
            the second time around my grandmother from Presov, Anna Bartos, come from
            Fiume. mostly all other grandparents from Slovakia came through Bremen and
            Liverpool and Hamberg. my Polish grandfather came through Hamberg.
            i looked into the ellis island site and a Maria Hajtovik came in 1901 at age
            13 years old and was going to Olympant PA.
            she was Hungarian origin. could this be Andrew's daughter coming back from a
            visit home?
            Noreen

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
              Not to disappoint, but I believe they only did a SOUNDEX index from 1902
              to 1943, which precludes Vivian's work.

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Check the soundex records for immigration to east coast ports. The
              local FHC can help you to locate the specific rolls.

              Bill Brna

              On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:11:22 EDT VivHy@... writes:

              > I have an ancestor who immigrated from Kosice, Slovakia to New York
              > in 1888.
              > On his application for citizenship he stated that he arrived in New
              > York on
              > 30-Nov-1888. Where would I find immigration records for that day.I
              > have searched
              > some manifests...but am coming up void....were there other areas of
              >
              > debarkation besides New York City in the state of New York? How
              > complete are the
              > records for that period? My main research support has been the FHC.
              > Maybe I just
              > have someone who is not that versed in finding anyone in
              > immigration. I thought
              > maybe to reverse the process and check records for his embarkation
              > in
              > Europe....which brings me to my next question...if, in 1888, one was
              > leaving Kosice to
              > come to America...what port was standard for that trip?
              >
              > I have good before immigration records and good after immigration
              > records....but NO immigration records.
              >
              > I am open to any and all suggestions. Not asking anyone to do the
              > lookups...just aim me to where records may possibly exist. Need some
              > imput or speculation
              > from anyone....He may have made the boat in 1888 but it is 2003 and
              > for some
              > reason I am still "missing the boat". LOL
              >
              > Thanks
              > Vivian

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Kevin Fosko

                #9133; Petition of Andrew Haytovik (HAJTOVIK) of Archbald Boro. for Admission
                to Citizenship. Filed Dec. 15th 1902. States that he arrived at the Port of
                New York 30th day of November, 1888. States that on 14-Sep-1896 he declared on
                oath his intention to become a citizen. Gives names of witnesses. All appears
                to have been done in Lackawanna County, PA. No mention of the form you were
                referring to.

                I found nine ships that pulled into that port on 30-Nov-1888, but there may
                have been more. Six came out of the West Indies. One from Port Leinon (origin
                unknown ? ), one from Liverpool and one from Glasgow/Morille. There is a note
                that the Liverpool film is not readable...Wanna Bet that is the one I want or
                need?

                Vivian

                Kevin and Jennifer Fosko3 Elmcroft CourtRockville, MD 20850(301) 527-1547krf1266@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2003
                  Hi Kevin,
                  it is Vivian who may profit from your excellent idea.
                  Noreen