Spis, Austria

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
      I am a new member and this is my first post.
      This summer my wife and I vacationed in Germany and Austria. When we
      returned home we were told that we were near the birth place of my
      grandparents. We were in Saltzburg and Vienna.
      My fathers birth certificate states that my grandparents were born in
      Spis, Austria. My grandfather was born ins 1874. Where is Spis in
      relation to Salzburg and Vienna.
      Thank you. Frank Krizner.
    • Ursula Greene
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
        Welcome Frank. I am only a week or two "older" than you in my membership and queries. My paternal grandmother and paternal grandfather were both from SPIS. It is an area of Slovakia today (not far from the borders with Poland and Ukraine) that was then known as SPEPES when it was included in Austria-Hungary. My grandfather was born in 1880 in TOTFALU, now known as SLOVENSKA VES. My grandmother was born in 1887 in BELA, also called SPISSKA BELA. They immigrated and settled in the Northampton area of PA. My father was born in Cementon, PA in 1908, an American citizen, the oldest of three boys. Part of the family returned to Ruskinovce to live in 1914 (near today's Vrbov) because of my grandmother's difficulty adjusting to the ever-present cement dust in the air that was threatening impending blindness. My grandfather stayed behind in PA to earn money with a plan to rejoin his wife and three sons shortly. Sadly he died in an industrial accident and is buried in Catasauqua, PA. My father did not return to America until 1930. He considered himself (or his heritage) to be Carpathian German and he did speak German as well as Slovak. I have the good fortune of being able to piggy-back on the research results of my cousin but I am now making further leaps (which we will share as well) through the support of people at this site. Good luck. Hope this helps. Hope also that I am accurate. Ursula SUGA Greene

        I am a new member and this is my first post.
        This summer my wife and I vacationed in Germany and Austria. When we
        returned home we were told that we were near the birth place of my
        grandparents. We were in Saltzburg and Vienna.
        My fathers birth certificate states that my grandparents were born in
        Spis, Austria. My grandfather was born ins 1874. Where is Spis in
        relation to Salzburg and Vienna.
        Thank you. Frank Krizner.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <kriznerf@y...> wrote:
          > I am a new member and this is my first post.
          > This summer my wife and I vacationed in Germany and Austria. When
          we
          > returned home we were told that we were near the birth place of my
          > grandparents. We were in Saltzburg and Vienna.
          > My fathers birth certificate states that my grandparents were born
          in
          > Spis, Austria. My grandfather was born ins 1874. Where is Spis in
          > relation to Salzburg and Vienna.
          > Thank you. Frank Krizner.

          Frank to Frank

          There is a Spiess, Austria, but it is located 170 kms. from
          Salzburg and 422 kms. from Wien.

          So your Spis and Germany/Austrian query raises an interesting point.

          The ethnic German population of Slovakia was 148,000 or 5 % of
          the total population according to the 1930 census.

          The Zips (Slovak Spis^, Hungarian Szepes) is the best-known German
          settlement area in Slovakia. The first German settlers arrived in the
          12th century. Known as Zipser 'Saxons', these early emigrants were
          actually from the Lower Rhine region, Flanders, Saxony,
          and Silesia.
          In the early period, the Zips was a single continuous region
          stretching from the northern border with Poland to present-day
          Slovak-Hungarian border.
          Over time, the Zips divided into two regions, the Upper and
          Lower Zips (German Oberzips,Unterzips)

          Nevertheless an interesting region.
          Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
          Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
          centuries.

          BTW
          What was your grandfather's first name ?
        • Ursula Greene
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
            p.s .Frank --- I just read Bill's response to your question, and as I said in posting, I am new. Clearly, Bill is much more knowing and was quick to pick up that the papers could have said many things. My grandfather's papers indicated he was born in "Totfalu" and the country of origin was "Austria". That location is now in current day Slovakia. It is only over time that I have learned that area is sometimes referred to as SZEPES, sometimes as SPIS. I leapt to a conclusion too quickly, overlooking the fact that there are several possibilities here. oops. Please forgive. I hope I did nothing to confuse. Good luck. Ursula SUGA Greene

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
              Ursula, I read your note about your grand mother being born in BELA in 1887.
              Is that the same place as Szepesbela? My grandmother, a Schutz, was born in
              Szepesbela in 1882. What was your grandmother's maiden name? Dorothy Iams
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
                Well firstly, this is a Slovakia list. You'd be better to pose your
                question on an Austrian list, if you are certain it's Austria. But I'm
                not yet persuaded that it is. Being "near" is also a relative term.

                Until 1918 Austria-Hungary empire ruled a vast region of Europe. Often
                times people born in today's Slovakia were said to be from "Hungary",
                ruled by the Hungarians, as part of the Austria-Hungary empire.
                Depending who wrote the birth certificate, it might have been recorded
                as "Austria". When was the BC written, by who, where and when? Since
                the ruling regions changed so much, this question is essential.

                I've written a very brief Slovakia history here
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/historical_context.htm with many
                references.

                The "Spis" was probably the old Hungary (pre 1918) county of Spis
                (Szepes) in Slovakia. The name is that unique.
                See Szepes at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

                See http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/kingdom_of_hungary.htm
                I will also offer that there are other sources for birth info. See
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                I am a new member and this is my first post.
                This summer my wife and I vacationed in Germany and Austria. When we
                returned home we were told that we were near the birth place of my
                grandparents. We were in Saltzburg and Vienna.
                My fathers birth certificate states that my grandparents were born in
                Spis, Austria. My grandfather was born ins 1874. Where is Spis in
                relation to Salzburg and Vienna.
                Thank you. Frank Krizner.

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • cardarch@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 9/1/03 7:35:13 PM, ugreene@... writes:

                  << My grandmother was Maria KLIMEK, born May 18, 1887 in Bela/Spisskabela.
                  When did your grandmother come to the U.S. ? My grandfather was born in
                  Totfalu in 1880. >>

                  My grandmother came from Szepesbela in 1909. I have been told that
                  Szepesbela is now Spisska Bela. I ordered the record from LDS to check it all out. It
                  sounds like your grandmother was born there too. I have no idea how I am
                  going to read these records in Hungarian, German and Latin. But who knows maybe
                  I'll find them: Matild Schuetz and my own mother, Gizella Winkelmesz, who was
                  born there in 1908. It would be nice to see.
                • Ursula Greene
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
                    Dorothy, My grandmother was Maria KLIMEK, born May 18, 1887 in Bela/Spisskabela. When did your grandmother come to the U.S. ? My grandfather was born in Totfalu in 1880. My grandmother came to PA for several years but because of health reasons, returned to Slovakia and lived in Ruskinovce and then Vrbov until her death in 1965. Ursula SUGA Greene

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <kriznerf@y...> wrote:
                      > > I am a new member and this is my first post.
                      > > This summer my wife and I vacationed in Germany and Austria.
                      When
                      > we
                      > > returned home we were told that we were near the birth place of
                      my
                      > > grandparents. We were in Saltzburg and Vienna.
                      > > My fathers birth certificate states that my grandparents were
                      born
                      > in
                      > > Spis, Austria. My grandfather was born ins 1874. Where is Spis
                      in
                      > > relation to Salzburg and Vienna.
                      > > Thank you. Frank Krizner.
                      >
                      > Frank to Frank
                      >
                      > There is a Spiess, Austria, but it is located 170 kms. from
                      > Salzburg and 422 kms. from Wien.
                      >
                      > So your Spis and Germany/Austrian query raises an interesting point.
                      >
                      > The ethnic German population of Slovakia was 148,000 or 5 % of
                      > the total population according to the 1930 census.
                      >
                      > The Zips (Slovak Spis^, Hungarian Szepes) is the best-known German
                      > settlement area in Slovakia. The first German settlers arrived in
                      the
                      > 12th century. Known as Zipser 'Saxons', these early emigrants were
                      > actually from the Lower Rhine region, Flanders, Saxony,
                      > and Silesia.
                      > In the early period, the Zips was a single continuous region
                      > stretching from the northern border with Poland to present-day
                      > Slovak-Hungarian border.
                      > Over time, the Zips divided into two regions, the Upper and
                      > Lower Zips (German Oberzips,Unterzips)
                      >
                      > Nevertheless an interesting region.
                      > Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
                      > Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
                      > centuries.
                      >
                      > BTW
                      > What was your grandfather's first name ?

                      Thank you for the repy. My grand fathers name was John Knizner.
                      The "n" was changed to an "r" here in Pennsylvania. My Grand mothers
                      name was Mary Jakupcak. My maternal grand fathers name was John
                      Kieffer. And my Maternal grand mothers name was Sanko. Thanks for
                      your reply. Frank Krizner.
                    • amiak@alaska.net
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
                        The only thing I would add is that the
                        "Spis" in English is
                        "Szepes" in Hungarian, as well as
                        "Zips" in German (or Austrian).

                        It is quite common for the countries to be mixed up, and while the Spis was county within the Hungarian kingdom, it was also a part of "Austria-Hungary, often shortened as simply Austria". You can look upon the variety of languages as a challenge or an added spice to a very interesting mixture of cultures and politics!

                        Ron

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 1, 2003
                          You will be able to read the records just fine. You do not need to know
                          the language.

                          Printout and bring the following for decoding the titles, which will
                          tell you what info is in each column:
                          http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/
                          Examples of the registers are here:
                          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/church_records_e_slovakia.htm

                          with more description here
                          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm#churchrecords

                          If you read this information before you go, you'll be comfortable
                          withing 20 minutes of laying your eyes on the first film.

                          ______________
                          Bill Tarkulich

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 2, 2003
                            In a message dated 9/1/03 7:58:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cardarch@...
                            writes:

                            > who was
                            > born there in 1908. It would be nice to see.

                            Unfortunately, the records for Spisska Bela only go up to 1903 for birth.
                            Noreen

                          • Donna Lachney
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 2, 2003
                              Bill, I have a question for you. I looked up the phone number of a name that could be relation to me from Spisska Nova Ves. Under the name is that the address??? And how would I address an envelope to write to them?

                              �tefan La�n� Zimn� 130/, Spi�sk� Nov� Ves

                              053/4412466

                              I would love to try to write to them, but not sure of how to address it. Bill, I would appreciate your input, or anyone else that has knowledge of writing to people in the area my people came from. I would be thrilled to be able to find out family members over there.
                              Donna

                            • Donna Lachney

                                > Well firstly, this is a Slovakia list. You'd be better to pose your
                                > question on an Austrian list, if you are certain it's Austria.
                                > But I'm
                                > not yet persuaded that it is. Being "near" is also a relative term.
                                >
                                > Until 1918 Austria-Hungary empire ruled a vast region of Europe.
                                > Oftentimes people born in today's Slovakia were said to be from
                                > "Hungary",ruled by the Hungarians, as part of the Austria-Hungary
                                > empire.Depending who wrote the birth certificate, it might have
                                > been recorded
                                > as "Austria". When was the BC written, by who, where and when? Since
                                > the ruling regions changed so much, this question is essential.
                                >
                                > I've written a very brief Slovakia history here
                                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/historical_context.htm with many
                                > references.
                                >
                                > The "Spis" was probably the old Hungary (pre 1918) county of Spis
                                > (Szepes) in Slovakia. The name is that unique.
                                > See Szepes at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
                                >
                                > See http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/kingdom_of_hungary.htm
                                > I will also offer that there are other sources for birth info. See
                                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
                                >

                                > ______________
                                > Bill Tarkulich

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 2, 2003
                                  Donna,

                                  Address it to :

                                  Štefan Laèný
                                  Zimná 130
                                  052 01 Spišská Nová Ves
                                  SLOVAK REPUBLIC

                                  In this case, Zimna is the street, 130 is the street number.
                                  053/4412466 is the phone number.
                                  I looked up the postal code for you. 80 cents in the USA and the words "Air Mail" will do it.

                                  Here is the general form for address composition, and instructiosn for others to use: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm

                                  Good Luck!
                                  Bill

                                  Bill, I have a question for you. I looked up the phone number of a name that could be relation to me from Spisska Nova Ves. Under the name is that the address??? And how would I address an envelope to write to them?

                                  Štefan Laèný Zimná 130/, Spišská Nová Ves

                                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    Make sure you write in Slovak. First impressions are always tantamount.
                                    Bill

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 2, 2003
                                      Thanks Very Much!!

                                      I sure appreciate you sharing just a small part of your knowledge with us.

                                      Donna

                                      Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote:
                                      Donna,

                                      Address it to :

                                      � tefan La��n��
                                      Zimn�� 130
                                      052 01 Spi��sk�� Nov�� Ves

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 2, 2003
                                        Bill, I work at a University, maybe I can find someone in the Language Dept or the Study
                                        Abroad Dept. They MAY have someone here that can help me write this letter. I just hope they do. I can imagine they may be a little hesitant over in that area if they received a letter they couldn't read, during these trying times.

                                        Thanks Again, Donna

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 2, 2003
                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <kriznerf@y...> wrote:
                                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
                                          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <kriznerf@y...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > > > I am a new member and this is my first post.
                                          > > > This summer my wife and I vacationed in Germany and Austria.
                                          > When
                                          > > we
                                          > > > returned home we were told that we were near the birth place of
                                          > my
                                          > > > grandparents. We were in Saltzburg and Vienna.
                                          > > > My fathers birth certificate states that my grandparents were
                                          > born
                                          > > in
                                          > > > Spis, Austria. My grandfather was born ins 1874. Where is Spis
                                          > in
                                          > > > relation to Salzburg and Vienna.
                                          > > > Thank you. Frank Krizner.
                                          > >
                                          > > Frank to Frank
                                          > >
                                          > > There is a Spiess, Austria, but it is located 170 kms. from
                                          > > Salzburg and 422 kms. from Wien.
                                          > >
                                          > > So your Spis and Germany/Austrian query raises an interesting
                                          point.

                                          > > The ethnic German population of Slovakia was 148,000 or 5 % of
                                          > > the total population according to the 1930 census.
                                          > >
                                          > > The Zips (Slovak Spis^, Hungarian Szepes) is the best-known German
                                          > > settlement area in Slovakia. The first German settlers arrived in
                                          > the
                                          > > 12th century. Known as Zipser 'Saxons', these early emigrants were
                                          > > actually from the Lower Rhine region, Flanders, Saxony,
                                          > > and Silesia.
                                          > > In the early period, the Zips was a single continuous region
                                          > > stretching from the northern border with Poland to present-day
                                          > > Slovak-Hungarian border.
                                          > > Over time, the Zips divided into two regions, the Upper and
                                          > > Lower Zips (German Oberzips,Unterzips)
                                          > >
                                          > > Nevertheless an interesting region.
                                          > > Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
                                          > > Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
                                          > > centuries.
                                          > >
                                          > > BTW
                                          > > What was your grandfather's first name ?
                                          >

                                          > Thank you for the repy. My grand fathers name was John Knizner.
                                          > The "n" was changed to an "r" here in Pennsylvania. My Grand
                                          mothers
                                          > name was Mary Jakupcak. My maternal grand fathers name was John
                                          > Kieffer. And my Maternal grand mothers name was Sanko. Thanks for
                                          > your reply. Frank Krizner.

                                          ahoj Frank,

                                          What you wrote above was very valuable and quite interesting.

                                          In 1902, a János * Knizner, age 28 (b. abt. 1874), Slovak,
                                          single, emigrated via port of Bremen, Germany from
                                          Igló (H) which was called Spis^ská Nová Ves in Slovak and
                                          Zipser Neudorf in German.

                                          * John
                                          János (H)
                                          Jan (Sk)
                                          Johann (G)

                                          Where in PA ?
                                          Janos seems to have gone to Olyphant Lackawanna CO in NE PA.
                                          Olyphant was being discussed recently at Slovak-Roots.

                                          Don't know about your grandmother Mary Jakupcak ?
                                          But, in 1923, a mother (Anna, age 23) and her daughter (Marie, age 2)
                                          surnamed Jakubcak emigrated to the U.S.
                                          They were both born in Vikartovce (Sk) Hernádfo" (H) which is
                                          located 18 miles from Spis^ská Nová Ves and 14 miles from
                                          Poprad which was called Deutschendorf in German.

                                          In 1899, another Janos Knizner, age 35 (b. abt. 1864) emigrated
                                          also via port of Bremen, Germany from Felso"erdo"falva (H) which is
                                          Stará Lesná (Sk) and located 17 miles distant from Spis^ská Nová Ves.
                                          He went to his brother (unreadable given name) Knizner in Philadelphia
                                          PA.

                                          All places named above were located in Szepes/Spis'/Zips.

                                          Think you have a case for your surname bearers Knizner and Jakubcak
                                          being from Spis' aka Zips, Slovakia.

                                          Jakubcak is probably a surname derived from the given name Jacob.
                                          Jakub (Sk) Jakab (H)
                                          The Poles derived 120 different surnames from their first name
                                          Jan (John) just by changing the surname affixes.

                                          The other Frank K :-)
                                        • Vladimir Bohinc
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003
                                            Dear Donna,
                                            I called this family yesterday evening. They have no way to translate your
                                            letter, so it better be in slovak.
                                            Regards,
                                            Vladimir

                                            > In this case, Zimna is the street, 130 is the street number.
                                            > 053/4412466 is the phone number.
                                            > I looked up the postal code for you. 80 cents in the USA and the words
                                            "Air Mail" will do it.

                                            > Here is the general form for address composition, and instructiosn for
                                            others to use: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm

                                            > Good Luck!
                                            > Bill

                                          • Bruce Morrison
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003
                                              Would someone please let me know the proper way to UNSUBSCRIBE?
                                            • Kevin Fosko
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003

                                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                                Kevin and Jennifer Fosko3 Elmcroft CourtRockville, MD 20850(301) 527-1547krf1266@...

                                              • Richard Strauss
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003
                                                  I would like this information too as my basic information need has been satisfied

                                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                                  Richard Strauss

                                                • Donna Lachney

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003
                                                      Dear Donna,
                                                      When I see, that the problem is simple, but not for you, because you are
                                                      there, I just make a phone call and that's it. I was talking to his wife. He
                                                      was not home.There was not much time to express surprise.
                                                      It was rather overwhelming, or breath taking, so to say.
                                                      They have at least one daughter in Germany.
                                                      Jou just have that letter written and sent and take it easy.
                                                      It will all be all right.
                                                      Regards,
                                                      Vladimir

                                                      > Dear Vladimir, Thank you so very much for doing that for me. Were they
                                                      suprised when you called about family wanting to know about them? I am so
                                                      thrilled that you did that. You are so wonderful to everyone on this list.

                                                      > Donna
                                                      >

                                                      > Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
                                                      > Dear Donna,
                                                      > I called this family yesterday evening. They have no way to translate your
                                                      > letter, so it better be in slovak.
                                                      > Regards,
                                                      > Vladimir

                                                    • Donna Lachney
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003
                                                        Vladimir, To me it is breathtaking to say the least...just thinking that you were able to speak to his wife. If possible, as long as I am not going over my boundaries with you and asking you to much...if you could call him and maybe let him know what I am doing and that I will be writing a letter to them with information from my family that left there in the late 1800s, my Great Great Grandfather got his final citizenship in November 1900. I feel like I am on cloud nine just thinking about it.

                                                        There is a Professor here on Campus that speaks the language he had the distinct accent on the telephone when I left him a message. Hopefully, he will call me back soon so I can get everything started. I don't know where he is from, but I called a Russian professor and she gave me his name. Phew!!!! I am excited about this.

                                                        If only my Great Grandmother was alive she would be thrilled too.

                                                        Thanks again, Donna