RE: [S-R] Group Support/Opinion Please

  • Doug & Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      The most likely port of embarkation would be Hamburg. Have you tried
      TheShipsList-L at Ancestry.com? You may get better guidance there for
      finding the manifest.

      Good luck,
      Janet

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, VivHy@a... wrote:

        > I have an ancestor who immigrated from Kosice, Slovakia to New York
        in 1888.
        > On his application for citizenship he stated that he arrived in New
        York on
        > 30-Nov-1888. Where would I find immigration records for that day.I
        have searched
        > some manifests...but am coming up void....were there other areas of
        > debarkation besides New York City in the state of New York? How
        complete are the
        > records for that period? My main research support has been the FHC.
        Maybe I just
        > have someone who is not that versed in finding anyone in
        immigration. I thought
        > maybe to reverse the process and check records for his embarkation
        in
        > Europe....which brings me to my next question...if, in 1888, one was
        leaving Kosice to
        > come to America...what port was standard for that trip?
        >
        > I have good before immigration records and good after immigration
        > records....but NO immigration records.
        >
        > I am open to any and all suggestions. Not asking anyone to do the
        > lookups...just aim me to where records may possibly exist. Need some
        imput or speculation
        > from anyone....He may have made the boat in 1888 but it is 2003 and
        for some
        > reason I am still "missing the boat". LOL
        >
        > Thanks
        > Vivian

        The online Ellis Island Records (EIR) cover the period 1892-1924
        only.

        Castle Garden in the Battery served as the New York State immigration
        station from 1855 to 1890.
        These records are not indexed !
        If you can get the ship manifests from the LDS FHC you will need to
        check every surname entry line by line for every ship arriving on
        November 30, 1888.

        In 1888 there were only two major ports of exit used by emigrants
        from Hungary (including Slovakia)

        Hamburg, Germany 8179 emigrants
        Bremen, Germany 9451 emigrants
        Total 17,630 emigrants

        If you know your ancestor was born in Kassa Kos^ice does it matter ?

        LDS filmed its :
        R.C. parish church records (1653-1896)
        G.C. parish church records (1850-1911)
        Lutheran church records (1598-1895)
        Calvinist church records (1767-1896)
        Jewish records (1851-1896)

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          Dates are notoriously wrong for records of this period. You should NOT
          have a lot of confidence in date, unless it can be confidently
          corroborated. Sometimes the ship "arrived" in port, but the passengers
          did not debark until the next day due to port congestion. This was
          often the case. Citizenship papers are actually quite erroneous too.

          See http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm for immigration stats. Looks
          like the german ports were the place to go from Hungary.

          At the LDS FHC have you checked: (look it up by searching on place name
          "new york" part of "new york" choose "emigration and immigration"

          Passenger lists of vessels arriving at New York, 1820-1897 ; index to
          passenger lists of vessels arriving in New York, 1820-1846
          It has 785 films. The first few films are the ship's name index.

          It cites the following lists. Have you looked at these films?

          Passenger lists 8 Oct 1888-9 Nov 1888 FHL US/CAN Film
          1027762
          Passenger lists 10 Nov 1888-30 Nov 1888 FHL US/CAN Film
          1027763
          Passenger lists 1 Dec 1888-31 Dec 1888 FHL US/CAN Film
          1027764

          As you know, records from this year were never indexed.
          Sometimes it's worth searching EIDB for his name to see if he came over
          more than once. It then will cite more specific information about the
          where and when. This could be helpful when trying to ascertain shakey
          dates.

          Hamburg and Bremen have begun to digitize embarkation data, but they
          have a long way to go.
          Hamburg
          http://www.hamburg.de/fhh/behoerden/staatsarchiv/link_to_your_roots/engl
          ish/index.htm
          A similar effort for Bremen. It is not free however.
          http://www.deutsche-auswanderer-datenbank.de/enframeset.htm
          I have never had any success with either.
          Bill Tarkulich

[...]

          Your use oAAAAhoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/