Re: [S-R] Group Support/Opinion Please

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1 8:39 AM
      Check the soundex records for immigration to east coast ports. The local
      FHC can help you to locate the specific rolls.

      Bill Brna

      On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:11:22 EDT VivHy@... writes:

      > I have an ancestor who immigrated from Kosice, Slovakia to New York
      > in 1888.
      > On his application for citizenship he stated that he arrived in New
      > York on
      > 30-Nov-1888. Where would I find immigration records for that day.I
      > have searched
      > some manifests...but am coming up void....were there other areas of
      >
      > debarkation besides New York City in the state of New York? How
      > complete are the
      > records for that period? My main research support has been the FHC.
      > Maybe I just
      > have someone who is not that versed in finding anyone in
      > immigration. I thought
      > maybe to reverse the process and check records for his embarkation
      > in
      > Europe....which brings me to my next question...if, in 1888, one was
      > leaving Kosice to
      > come to America...what port was standard for that trip?
      >
      > I have good before immigration records and good after immigration
      > records....but NO immigration records.
      >
      > I am open to any and all suggestions. Not asking anyone to do the
      > lookups...just aim me to where records may possibly exist. Need some
      > imput or speculation
      > from anyone....He may have made the boat in 1888 but it is 2003 and
      > for some
      > reason I am still "missing the boat". LOL
      >
      > Thanks
      > Vivian

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1 8:46 AM
        Vivian,

        do you have nearby a National Archive and Records building? you are
        fortunate indeed to have the date of arrival. he could have come into Castle Garden,
        New York. my father's mother came to New York at Castle Garden in the
        1890's. (from Presov, ) i am not sure when they switched over to Ellis Island as
        the immigrant reception center.

        also, somewhere on the application for citizenship there is a section which
        also requires that he list the name of the boat. it is on Form N-600 which
        is the appication for certificate of derivative citizenship. did your
        ancestor fill out this form?
        if you know the date he arrived and name of the boat, you are in a very good
        position to find him at the NARA office.

        Noreen

      • VivHy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1 9:12 AM
          Noreen,

          What port did your Presov ancestor leave from?

          I have citizenship copies that were sent to me by a genealogical society in
          Olyphant, PA about 8 years ago. I have no idea where they got them from...guess
          I should do a follow-up.

          It appears to be copies of sometype of document that was trifolded. Document
          #9133; Petition of Andrew Haytovik (HAJTOVIK) of Archbald Boro. for Admission
          to Citizenship. Filed Dec. 15th 1902. States that he arrived at the Port of
          New York 30th day of November, 1888. States that on 14-Sep-1896 he declared on
          oath his intention to become a citizen. Gives names of witnesses. All appears
          to have been done in Lackawanna County, PA. No mention of the form you were
          referring to.

          I found nine ships that pulled into that port on 30-Nov-1888, but there may
          have been more. Six came out of the West Indies. One from Port Leinon (origin
          unknown ? ), one from Liverpool and one from Glasgow/Morille. There is a note
          that the Liverpool film is not readable...Wanna Bet that is the one I want or
          need?

          Vivian

          In a message dated 9/1/2003 11:49:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          nhasior@... writes:

          > Vivian,
          >
          > do you have nearby a National Archive and Records building? you are
          > fortunate indeed to have the date of arrival. he could have come into
          > Castle Garden,
          > New York. my father's mother came to New York at Castle Garden in the
          > 1890's. (from Presov, ) i am not sure when they switched over to Ellis
          > Island as
          > the immigrant reception center.
          >
          > also, somewhere on the application for citizenship there is a section
          > which
          > also requires that he list the name of the boat. it is on Form N-600 which
          >
          > is the appication for certificate of derivative citizenship. did your
          > ancestor fill out this form?
          > if you know the date he arrived and name of the boat, you are in a very good
          >
          > position to find him at the NARA office.
          >
          > Noreen

        • Doug & Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1 9:37 AM
            I would place my money on the ship out of Glasgow. My H's ancestor sailed
            from Hamburg to New York via Glasgow, though he changed ships there.

            Janet

            #9133; Petition of Andrew Haytovik (HAJTOVIK) of Archbald Boro. for
            Admission

            nhasior@... writes:

            > Vivian,
            >
            > do you have nearby a National Archive and Records building? you are
            > fortunate indeed to have the date of arrival. he could have come into
            > Castle Garden,
            > New York. my father's mother came to New York at Castle Garden in the
            > 1890's. (from Presov, ) i am not sure when they switched over to Ellis
            > Island as
            > the immigrant reception center.
            >
            > also, somewhere on the application for citizenship there is a section
            > which
            > also requires that he list the name of the boat. it is on Form N-600
            which

            > is the appication for certificate of derivative citizenship. did your
            > ancestor fill out this form?
            > if you know the date he arrived and name of the boat, you are in a very
            good

            > position to find him at the NARA office.
            >
            > Noreen

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1 11:16 AM
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, VivHy@a... wrote:
              > Noreen,
              >
              > What port did your Presov ancestor leave from?
              >
              > I have citizenship copies that were sent to me by a genealogical
              society in
              > Olyphant, PA about 8 years ago. I have no idea where they got them
              from...guess
              > I should do a follow-up.
              >
              > It appears to be copies of sometype of document that was trifolded.
              Document
              > #9133; Petition of Andrew Haytovik (HAJTOVIK) of Archbald Boro. for
              Admission
              > to Citizenship. Filed Dec. 15th 1902. States that he arrived at the
              Port of
              > New York 30th day of November, 1888. States that on 14-Sep-1896 he
              declared on
              > oath his intention to become a citizen. Gives names of witnesses.
              All appears
              > to have been done in Lackawanna County, PA. No mention of the form
              you were
              > referring to.
              >
              > I found nine ships that pulled into that port on 30-Nov-1888, but
              there may
              > have been more. Six came out of the West Indies. One from Port
              Leinon (origin
              > unknown ? ), one from Liverpool and one from Glasgow/Morille. There
              is a note
              > that the Liverpool film is not readable...Wanna Bet that is the one
              I want or
              > need?
              >
              > Vivian

              ahoj Vivian,

              In 1901 a Maria Hajtovik, age 13, arrived in US via Ellis Island
              (NYC) from the port of Rotterdam, Holland.
              She went to her father A. Haytovik in Olyphant PA.
              Her Last Residence was Kavocsan, Hungary.
              That would be the Hungarian spelling Kavocsán for Kavec^any (Sk)
              which is located 193 miles ENE of Bratislava and only 5 miles distant
              from Kos^ice.

              In Slavic languages like Slovak and Hungarian the letter j is pron. y.

              The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records (1788-1895)
              for Kavec^any, Slovakia, formerly Kavecsán, Sáros, megye, Hungary.
              Text in Latin and Hungarian.

              film #
              1978929
              1978930

              I had some paternal surname bearers who were coal miners in
              Olyphant PA.

              This anthracite (hard) coal mining region was located in NE PA.
              Especially, Schuylkill,Luzerne, Lackawanna, Carbon COs.

              Coal miners and coal miner's daughters as the old song goes.

              Once spent a year (actually 150 working days) at a NARA center,
              researching Slavic surnames in PA coal mining regions from the
              1900/1910/1920 U.S. Census enumeration microfilms.
              There is no 1890 U.S. Census because it was destroyed in a fire
              in 1921.

              I searched the 1900 U.S. Census line by line for Olyphant and area for
              my surnames.
              No luck.

              Contacted the Genealogical Research Society of Northeastern
              Pennsylvania in Olyphant PA.
              It used to be free (1997) but now they charge ridiculous fees.
              No luck with their research.
              They said 3% of names in their DB were mis-translated by non-Slavic
              speaking (reading) clerks.
              That is par for the genealogy course
            • VivHy@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1 12:38 PM
                ahoj Frank and all responders,

                Frank wrote: In 1901 a Maria Hajtovik, age 13, arrived in US via Ellis
                Island(NYC) from the port of Rotterdam, Holland.She went to her father A. Haytovik
                in Olyphant PA. Her Last Residence was Kavocsan, Hungary.That would be the
                Hungarian spelling Kavocsán for Kavec^any (Sk) which is located 193 miles ENE of
                Bratislav and only 5 miles distant from Kos^ice.

                Response from Vivian: She is the daughter of the Andrew that I am trying to
                document. Andrew and his first wife, Anna, came in 1888 with their two-year old
                daughter. Maria stayed behind with Anna's parents. Know location of
                Kavecany...went there in 1997 after I found Joe had ancestors there...found some
                distant cousins of his...and now we go back every fall...will be leaving again for
                three weeks on Sep 17.

                Frank wrote:The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records
                (1788-1895) for Kavec^any, Slovakia, formerly Kavecsán, Sáros, megye, Hungary.
                Text in Latin and Hungarian. film #1978929 & 1978930.

                Response from Vivian: Am one up on you there, Frank. I ordered those films in
                1995 from the LDS....and since all my children have good-paying jobs and
                would not be relying on any monentary inheritance from me....I photocopied them
                page by page...and have them in nice three-ring binders. The records have been
                very helpful, as the family was there from the inception of Sts. Peter and
                Paul Roman Catholic Church. Fr. Ondej at the church in Kavecany told me that he
                was going to research and find out where the people of Kavecany attend church
                before Sts. Peter and Paul were founded in 1788. If there is anyone who has
                ancestors from ther, I am available to do lookups for Kavecany, SLOVAKIA

                Frank wrote:I had some paternal surname bearers who were coal miners in
                Olyphant PA.

                Response from Vivian: Who were some of your other lines. The following
                married into my HAJTOVIK line - ZURY (ZORIE), SEKELESKY, BECKAGE, DUBRAVCAK, STAS,
                ZOVOLENSKY, URBANOVICH.

                Frank wrote: Once spent a year (actually 150 working days) at a NARA center,
                researching Slavic surnames in PA coal mining regions from the 1900/1910/1920
                U.S. Census enumeration microfilms. There is no 1890 U.S. Census because it
                was destroyed in a fire in 1921. I searched the 1900 U.S. Census line by line
                for Olyphant and area for my surnames. No luck.

                Response from Vivian: At the present time I am line-by-line reading the 1900,
                1910, 1920 and 1930 census for the Olyphant, Blakely, Dickson City, Scott
                Township, Jessup and Throop area. I can't trust the index of Ancestry.com..have
                one HYTOVICK that Ancestry indexed as HYTOUI. My ZURY was spelled ZORIE. So out
                of desperation I have excluded the middle man and am reading them
                myself...Some of them for the second time...but I am finding "my lost souls" here and
                there....and not where they "thought they were" LOL I have came to the
                conclusion that once the last kid was gone Mom and Dad sold the farm...and rotated
                living between the kids homes!

                Frank wrote: Contacted  the Genealogical Research Society of Northeastern
                Pennsylvania in Olyphant PA. It used to be free (1997) but now they charge
                ridiculous fees. No luck with their research. They said  3% of names in their DB
                were mis-translated by non-Slavic speaking (reading) clerks. That is par for
                the genealogy course.

                Response from Vivian: Am a member of that society...but the only thing that
                they were able to do for me was to send me a photocopy of the Petition for
                Citizenship....and could never find out were they got their copy from. I have not
                had any newsletters from them in some months, and my last couple of emails
                bounced back....and the website had an "under construction" page. So I don't
                know. My husband was born in Dickson City (Peckville) and we went back a couple of
                times for vacation and I attempted research...I found some things at the
                courthouse...not a lot...or maybe I was just not asking the right questions to get
                the right answers...And the priests at Holy Ghost and Sts. Cyril and
                Methodius all but said NO when I asked if they would do some early lookups in their
                register...got a song and dance number...left money and SASE mailers...and to
                date nothing. Oh well, no one every said that Genealogy was Cheap!

                Thanks to all for all of the responses, both on the List and Private email.
                Vivian

              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1 1:53 PM
                  Vivian,
                  the second time around my grandmother from Presov, Anna Bartos, come from
                  Fiume. mostly all other grandparents from Slovakia came through Bremen and
                  Liverpool and Hamberg. my Polish grandfather came through Hamberg.
                  i looked into the ellis island site and a Maria Hajtovik came in 1901 at age
                  13 years old and was going to Olympant PA.
                  she was Hungarian origin. could this be Andrew's daughter coming back from a
                  visit home?
                  Noreen

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1 7:16 PM
                    Not to disappoint, but I believe they only did a SOUNDEX index from 1902
                    to 1943, which precludes Vivian's work.

                    ______________
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    Check the soundex records for immigration to east coast ports. The
                    local FHC can help you to locate the specific rolls.

                    Bill Brna

                    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:11:22 EDT VivHy@... writes:

                    > I have an ancestor who immigrated from Kosice, Slovakia to New York
                    > in 1888.
                    > On his application for citizenship he stated that he arrived in New
                    > York on
                    > 30-Nov-1888. Where would I find immigration records for that day.I
                    > have searched
                    > some manifests...but am coming up void....were there other areas of
                    >
                    > debarkation besides New York City in the state of New York? How
                    > complete are the
                    > records for that period? My main research support has been the FHC.
                    > Maybe I just
                    > have someone who is not that versed in finding anyone in
                    > immigration. I thought
                    > maybe to reverse the process and check records for his embarkation
                    > in
                    > Europe....which brings me to my next question...if, in 1888, one was
                    > leaving Kosice to
                    > come to America...what port was standard for that trip?
                    >
                    > I have good before immigration records and good after immigration
                    > records....but NO immigration records.
                    >
                    > I am open to any and all suggestions. Not asking anyone to do the
                    > lookups...just aim me to where records may possibly exist. Need some
                    > imput or speculation
                    > from anyone....He may have made the boat in 1888 but it is 2003 and
                    > for some
                    > reason I am still "missing the boat". LOL
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Vivian

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Kevin Fosko

                      #9133; Petition of Andrew Haytovik (HAJTOVIK) of Archbald Boro. for Admission

                      Kevin and Jennifer Fosko3 Elmcroft CourtRockville, MD 20850(301) 527-1547krf1266@...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12 4:03 PM
                        Hi Kevin,
                        it is Vivian who may profit from your excellent idea.
                        Noreen