Group Support/Opinion Please

  • VivHy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      I have an ancestor who immigrated from Kosice, Slovakia to New York in 1888.
      On his application for citizenship he stated that he arrived in New York on
      30-Nov-1888. Where would I find immigration records for that day.I have searched
      some manifests...but am coming up void....were there other areas of
      debarkation besides New York City in the state of New York? How complete are the
      records for that period? My main research support has been the FHC. Maybe I just
      have someone who is not that versed in finding anyone in immigration. I thought
      maybe to reverse the process and check records for his embarkation in
      Europe....which brings me to my next question...if, in 1888, one was leaving Kosice to
      come to America...what port was standard for that trip?

      I have good before immigration records and good after immigration
      records....but NO immigration records.

      I am open to any and all suggestions. Not asking anyone to do the
      lookups...just aim me to where records may possibly exist. Need some imput or speculation
      from anyone....He may have made the boat in 1888 but it is 2003 and for some
      reason I am still "missing the boat". LOL

      Thanks
      Vivian

    • Doug & Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        The most likely port of embarkation would be Hamburg. Have you tried
        TheShipsList-L at Ancestry.com? You may get better guidance there for
        finding the manifest.

        Good luck,
        Janet

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, VivHy@a... wrote:

          > I have an ancestor who immigrated from Kosice, Slovakia to New York
          in 1888.
          > On his application for citizenship he stated that he arrived in New
          York on
          > 30-Nov-1888. Where would I find immigration records for that day.I
          have searched
          > some manifests...but am coming up void....were there other areas of
          > debarkation besides New York City in the state of New York? How
          complete are the
          > records for that period? My main research support has been the FHC.
          Maybe I just
          > have someone who is not that versed in finding anyone in
          immigration. I thought
          > maybe to reverse the process and check records for his embarkation
          in
          > Europe....which brings me to my next question...if, in 1888, one was
          leaving Kosice to
          > come to America...what port was standard for that trip?
          >
          > I have good before immigration records and good after immigration
          > records....but NO immigration records.
          >
          > I am open to any and all suggestions. Not asking anyone to do the
          > lookups...just aim me to where records may possibly exist. Need some
          imput or speculation
          > from anyone....He may have made the boat in 1888 but it is 2003 and
          for some
          > reason I am still "missing the boat". LOL
          >
          > Thanks
          > Vivian

          The online Ellis Island Records (EIR) cover the period 1892-1924
          only.

          Castle Garden in the Battery served as the New York State immigration
          station from 1855 to 1890.
          These records are not indexed !
          If you can get the ship manifests from the LDS FHC you will need to
          check every surname entry line by line for every ship arriving on
          November 30, 1888.

          In 1888 there were only two major ports of exit used by emigrants
          from Hungary (including Slovakia)

          Hamburg, Germany 8179 emigrants
          Bremen, Germany 9451 emigrants
          Total 17,630 emigrants

          If you know your ancestor was born in Kassa Kos^ice does it matter ?

          LDS filmed its :
          R.C. parish church records (1653-1896)
          G.C. parish church records (1850-1911)
          Lutheran church records (1598-1895)
          Calvinist church records (1767-1896)
          Jewish records (1851-1896)

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            Dates are notoriously wrong for records of this period. You should NOT
            have a lot of confidence in date, unless it can be confidently
            corroborated. Sometimes the ship "arrived" in port, but the passengers
            did not debark until the next day due to port congestion. This was
            often the case. Citizenship papers are actually quite erroneous too.

            See http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm for immigration stats. Looks
            like the german ports were the place to go from Hungary.

            At the LDS FHC have you checked: (look it up by searching on place name
            "new york" part of "new york" choose "emigration and immigration"

            Passenger lists of vessels arriving at New York, 1820-1897 ; index to
            passenger lists of vessels arriving in New York, 1820-1846
            It has 785 films. The first few films are the ship's name index.

            It cites the following lists. Have you looked at these films?

            Passenger lists 8 Oct 1888-9 Nov 1888 FHL US/CAN Film
            1027762
            Passenger lists 10 Nov 1888-30 Nov 1888 FHL US/CAN Film
            1027763
            Passenger lists 1 Dec 1888-31 Dec 1888 FHL US/CAN Film
            1027764

            As you know, records from this year were never indexed.
            Sometimes it's worth searching EIDB for his name to see if he came over
            more than once. It then will cite more specific information about the
            where and when. This could be helpful when trying to ascertain shakey
            dates.

            Hamburg and Bremen have begun to digitize embarkation data, but they
            have a long way to go.
            Hamburg
            http://www.hamburg.de/fhh/behoerden/staatsarchiv/link_to_your_roots/engl
            ish/index.htm
            A similar effort for Bremen. It is not free however.
            http://www.deutsche-auswanderer-datenbank.de/enframeset.htm
            I have never had any success with either.
            Bill Tarkulich

[...]

            Your use oAAAAhoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/