Re: [S-R] Brezlow?

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
      > At 07:22 PM 31/08/2003 +0200, you wrote:
      > >Dear Nick,
      > >I see now, you mean the only Sidi, who actually came from Vienna.
      > >
      > >Vladimir, thanks again.

      ahoj Nick,

      My theory of the location of Brezlow ? is different.

      In 1923, a Sidi Hirsch, age 28, married, Hebrew, emigrated to
      her husband's (Benjamin Hirsch) address : 416 E. 3rd Street NYC.
      Her Last Residence was Wien (Vienna), Austria.
      In Yiddish Sarah is Sore , so perhaps Sidi was named Sadie ?
      Her birthplace was Brezlow ?, Czechoslovakia .
      There was no country called Czechoslovakia until the WW I Hungarian
      peace treaty in 1920.
      In Upper Hungary (Slovakia) R.C. parish churches kept the Jewish
      records.

      In 1922, a Benjamin Hirsch, age 35, married, Polish, emigrated
      to his brother's (Nathan Hirsch) address: 416 E. 3rd Street NYC.
      His birthplace was Solatwin ?, Poland and Last Residence was also
      Vienna, Austria.
      Perhaps Slotwin located 30 miles distant from Warszawa (Warsaw)
      Poland ?

      Holcz is a Hungarian spelling.
      Sidi was born abt. 1895.
      If her maiden name was Holcz or Holz would expect your father would
      have known if she had converted to the Jewish faith.
      Very strange.

      There are two Vel'ké Pole located in Slovakia, one in western
      Slovakia and the other in eastern Slovakia.

      Also a number of Nové Mesto in Slovakia.
      Assume it was Vel'ké Pole (Sk) Pálosnagymezo" (H) located 72 miles
      ENE
      of Bratislava and Nové Mesto nad Vahom (Sk)
      Vagyújhely (H) - a distance of 36 miles between these 2 places.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists a Holcová , i.e. surname Holc +
      -ová (feminine gender) under Nové Mesto nad Vahom.

      A Brezolupy is located 66 miles ENE of Bratislava and just south
      of Bánovce nad Bebravou, Slovakia.
      This is about 20 miles distant from Nové Mesto nad Vahom.

      http://216.239.57.104/search?hl=en&q=cache:QI_Zw17V8AgJ:http://www.zmo
      s.sk/3/obce/obce/542741.htm+Brezolu

      The Jewish records for Brezolupy are listed under the R.C. church
      (1700-1895) for Bánovce nad Bebravou, Slovakia.
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
        Dear Frank,
        I am sorry, but this is not true;
        Brezolupy Jewish records were kept in Banovce rabinate, never in RC
        parishes!
        Births 1841-1928, 1937
        Marriages 1841-1942
        Deaths 1841-1895
        I have never seen a Jewish record from 1700, and I have seen many. They all
        start with around 1850, when the Jews were told to do so.
        Sidi comes from Sidonia.
        As to where this Hirsch family will be found; it is useless to speculate
        about all possible and impossible locations. They were everywhere and were
        migrating so much, that you can hardly trace them back the same way as the
        slavic population.
        Regards,
        Vladimir

        > > At 07:22 PM 31/08/2003 +0200, you wrote:
        > > >Dear Nick,
        > > >I see now, you mean the only Sidi, who actually came from Vienna.
        > > >
        > > >Vladimir, thanks again.
        >
        > ahoj Nick,
        >
        > My theory of the location of Brezlow ? is different.
        >
        > In 1923, a Sidi Hirsch, age 28, married, Hebrew, emigrated to
        > her husband's (Benjamin Hirsch) address : 416 E. 3rd Street NYC.
        > Her Last Residence was Wien (Vienna), Austria.
        > In Yiddish Sarah is Sore , so perhaps Sidi was named Sadie ?
        > Her birthplace was Brezlow ?, Czechoslovakia .
        > There was no country called Czechoslovakia until the WW I Hungarian
        > peace treaty in 1920.
        > In Upper Hungary (Slovakia) R.C. parish churches kept the Jewish
        > records.
        >
        > In 1922, a Benjamin Hirsch, age 35, married, Polish, emigrated
        > to his brother's (Nathan Hirsch) address: 416 E. 3rd Street NYC.
        > His birthplace was Solatwin ?, Poland and Last Residence was also
        > Vienna, Austria.
        > Perhaps Slotwin located 30 miles distant from Warszawa (Warsaw)
        > Poland ?
        >
        > Holcz is a Hungarian spelling.
        > Sidi was born abt. 1895.
        > If her maiden name was Holcz or Holz would expect your father would
        > have known if she had converted to the Jewish faith.
        > Very strange.
        >

        > There are two Vel'ké Pole located in Slovakia, one in western
        > Slovakia and the other in eastern Slovakia.
        >
        > Also a number of Nové Mesto in Slovakia.
        > Assume it was Vel'ké Pole (Sk) Pálosnagymezo" (H) located 72 miles
        > ENE
        > of Bratislava and Nové Mesto nad Vahom (Sk)
        > Vagyújhely (H) - a distance of 36 miles between these 2 places.
        >
        > The Slovakia telephone directory lists a Holcová , i.e. surname Holc +
        > -ová (feminine gender) under Nové Mesto nad Vahom.
        >

        > A Brezolupy is located 66 miles ENE of Bratislava and just south
        > of Bánovce nad Bebravou, Slovakia.
        > This is about 20 miles distant from Nové Mesto nad Vahom.
        >
        > http://216.239.57.104/search?hl=en&q=cache:QI_Zw17V8AgJ:http://www.zmo
        > s.sk/3/obce/obce/542741.htm+Brezolu
        >
        > The Jewish records for Brezolupy are listed under the R.C. church
        > (1700-1895) for Bánovce nad Bebravou, Slovakia.

        > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.489 (20030819) __________

        > http://www.eset.sk

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
          At 02:54 PM 1/09/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >ahoj Nick,
          >
          >My theory of the location of Brezlow ? is different.
          >
          >In 1923, a Sidi Hirsch, age 28, married, Hebrew, emigrated to
          >her husband's (Benjamin Hirsch) address : 416 E. 3rd Street NYC.
          >Her Last Residence was Wien (Vienna), Austria.
          >In Yiddish Sarah is Sore , so perhaps Sidi was named Sadie ?
          >Her birthplace was Brezlow ?, Czechoslovakia .
          >There was no country called Czechoslovakia until the WW I Hungarian
          >peace treaty in 1920.
          >In Upper Hungary (Slovakia) R.C. parish churches kept the Jewish
          >records.

          She didn't convert to Judaism the family was Jewish , My father was born in
          Nove Mesto nad Vahom . I have a birth place of Velke Polo for my uncle and
          on his immigration papers ( to Australia) it says The village of Pole and
          then Uherce , Topolcany . Does that help?

          As you say there was no Czechoslovakia when any of my father's family was
          born, but papers produced after 1920 say Czechoslovakia , my father told
          me they were Slovak, there are relatives of my aunty's living in Nove Mesto
          NV. I have got some limited information from them but like Oliver Twist I
          want more.

          I'll see if the FHC has films for Bánovce nad Bebravou.

          Thanks for your help.
          Nick
        • cardarch@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2003
            In a message dated 9/2/03 12:45:18 AM, nickh@... writes:

            << >ahoj Nick, >>

            Just wondering, is "ahoj" pronounced "ahoy"? That is the greeting Alexander
            Graham Bell said the first time he picked up the first phone, and is also the
            greeting Montgomery Burns on the Simpson's show uses when he picks up the
            phone. Does it mean "hello?"