re: town of SZABO

  • greenestamps2003
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 30, 2003
      Can anyone shed light on the town of SZABO? My paternal
      g-grandmother, Mary ZASTKO, was born March 23, 1848 in Totfalu (now
      Slovenska Ves?). Her father, Pol ZASTKO, was reported to have been
      known (or born?) in SZABO. I would venture a guess that it may be the
      Hungarian name of a current Slovak town. He married Maria HECTELY who
      was known or born in the town of Totfalu. Many thanks for your help.
    • Doug & Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 30, 2003
        Are you aware of the two people who have information on ZASTKO and HECTELY
        families from Slovenska Ves? You can find them on the Plucsinsky board at
        Ancestry.com. One of them (June) said she was descended from Pal ZASTKO and
        Maria HECTELY.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 30, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "greenestamps2003" <ugreene@o...>
          wrote:
          > Can anyone shed light on the town of SZABO? My paternal
          > g-grandmother, Mary ZASTKO, was born March 23, 1848 in Totfalu (now
          > Slovenska Ves?). Her father, Pol ZASTKO, was reported to have been
          > known (or born?) in SZABO. I would venture a guess that it may be
          the
          > Hungarian name of a current Slovak town. He married Maria HECTELY
          who
          > was known or born in the town of Totfalu. Many thanks for your
          help.

          Much later (73 years in 1921) a Maria Zastko, age 24 , married ,
          Slovak, born in Slovenská Ves, emigrated to her husband Andrew in
          Waterbury CT.
          She traveled with her son Alois (Aloysius), age 9 months, who was also
          born in Slovenská Ves.

          In Hungarian, tót, tóth means a Slovak.
          -falu means village.
          Szepes megye (county), Slovak Spis^ z^upa (county)
          Slovenská ves (Sk) was called Szepestótfalu (H)

          Slavos^ovce, Slovakia was called Nagy (large) Szabos in
          Hungarian, but it is located 36 miles distant from Slovenská Ves.

          Frank K
        • Ursula Greene
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2003
            Greetings Janet ~~ June is my first cousin. I found her via the internet four years ago ! Our fathers were brothers and now we are in constant contact. Just came back from her home a few days ago. She doesn't have more information than I do at the moment but we'd both love going further. Things stop being clear at this juncture. I appreciate your quick response. Who is the other person? Do you know? I don't subscribe to ancestry.com so would be grateful for information as to how to contact this person. Eager to hear from you. Pol ZASTKO (of Szabo) married Maria HECTELY (of Totfalu/Slovenska Ves) . They were the parents of Maria ZASTKO (b.March 23, 1848 in Totfalu) who married my/our g-grandfather, Michael SUGA. That's it in a nutshell. Ursula SUGA Greene

            Can anyone shed light on the town of SZABO? My paternal
            g-grandmother, Mary ZASTKO, was born March 23, 1848 in Totfalu (now
            Slovenska Ves?). Her father, Pol ZASTKO, was reported to have been
            known (or born?) in SZABO. I would venture a guess that it may be the
            Hungarian name of a current Slovak town. He married Maria HECTELY who
            was known or born in the town of Totfalu. Many thanks for your help.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Doug & Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 30, 2003
              Hi Ursula,

              The other person was Sandi Barber. She and June were back and forth with
              each other a few times last year, so I'm sure whatever information Sandi had
              to offer, June got it and presumably you have it, too.

              By the way, June spelled Zastko's given name "Pal," and you've spelled it
              "Pol." I know "Pal" (Pal) is extremely common, and I've never seen it
              spelled "Pol." Just wondering if you might have misread it.

              Good luck to you in your searching.

              Janet

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 30, 2003
                Hi again ~~ I went to the site, enrolled and found the two people, one of them my cousin June. Thanks so much for the heads up. Gratefully, Ursula

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 30, 2003
                  Hi again Janet ~~ Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I do have POL. Could easily be a mistake in my copying. I'm more used to seeing PAVEL and June and I have an uncle by that name. And, I did find Sandi's name. Thanks. Do you happen to know anyone who does translating from English into Slovak? Enjoy your Labor Day. Ursula

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 31, 2003
                    Thanks for your q uick response, Bill. Ursula

                    Can anyone shed light on the town of SZABO? My paternal g-grandmother,
                    Mary ZASTKO, was born March 23, 1848 in Totfalu (now Slovenska Ves?).
                    Her father, Pol ZASTKO, was reported to have been known (or born?) in
                    SZABO. I would venture a guess that it may be the Hungarian name of a
                    current Slovak town. He married Maria HECTELY who was known or born in
                    the town of Totfalu. Many thanks for your help.

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2003
                      I know several people who do translations for hire. One person who
                      comes to mind is Martina Mortanikova. She lives in the DC area now, but
                      was born and raised in East Slovakia. She will have no problem
                      translating English to/from Slovak. You can reach her at
                      usamartina@...

                      ______________
                      Bill Tarkulich

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 31, 2003
                        Ursula,

                        Martina does translations for me. Her work is excellent.

                        Gil K.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 31, 2003
                          > Hi Ursula,
                          >
                          > The other person was Sandi Barber. She and June were back and forth
                          > with each other a few times last year, so I'm sure whatever
                          information
                          > Sandi had to offer, June got it and presumably you have it, too.
                          >
                          > By the way, June spelled Zastko's given name "Pal," and you've
                          spelled
                          > it "Pol." I know "Pal" (Pal) is extremely common, and I've never
                          seen
                          > it spelled "Pol." Just wondering if you might have misread it.
                          >
                          > Good luck to you in your searching.
                          >
                          > Janet

                          Paul (E) (G)
                          Paulus (L)
                          Pál (H)
                          Pavol (Sk)
                          Pavel (Cz)
                          Pawel (P)
                          Paval (Croatian)
                          Paulo (I)

                          (only if ship had sailed from Glasgow, Scotland)
                          PÒL Scottish
                          Pronounced: POL
                          Scottish form of PAUL

                          In 1898, a Anna Zaztko, emigrated to her husband in Pittsburgh PA.
                          She was from Sz. tótfalu which was Slovenská Ves (Sk) and which
                          was called Szepestótfalu or Tótfalu in Magyar.
                          Perhaps this was actually your same town named Szabo ?

                          Szepes was the old Hungarian megye.
                          Tótfalu meant Slovak village in Magyar.

                          In Hungarian the letter Sz is pron. like s in English word so.
                          And letter p is pron. like p in sip, never as p in pill.

                        • Ursula Greene
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 31, 2003
                            Dear Bill and Gil ~~ Thank you both for the quick response and suggestion of Martina for translation services. I will contact her in the next day or two and inquire about letter writing. I have two letters I wish to send that come to mind immediately, people my cousin just met in Slovakia in July -- one to a woman in Slovenska Ves with the names SUGA, BANKOSH, NEDEROSTEK and KOLUMBEROVA in her family, and the other to a Maria BARTOVA in Vrbov who may very well have been part of a mother-daughter team whom my parents hired (from NY) to care for my paternal grandmother as she became crippled with arthritis and failing health. My cousin did affirm this woman had prepared my grandmother for burial in 1965. I can hardly believe the explosion of speed and content in my search recently. Today I heard from Nadine Nederostek, someone whose grandmother knew people in my family in the early 1900s in Dewey Heights, PA. Off and running! Thanks everyone. Ursula SUGA Greene

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 21 10:32 AM
                              I emailed Frank K directly, but perhaps others will read this late
                              followup and be able to shed more light??
                              It was written"Maria Zastko, age 24 , married , Slovak, born in
                              Slovenská Ves, emigrated to her husband Andrew in Waterbury CT.
                              She traveled with her son Alois (Aloysius), age 9 months, who was
                              also born in Slovenská Ves."
                              Well! This Maria (Nee STRISOVSKA), and Andrew were my grandparents!
                              though they originally settled in CT, they later moved to NJ.
                              Anyone have any connections to this family?
                              And I was curious about the Mary Zastko born 1848 and her father
                              Pal/Pol. Are they related to my grandparents that were mentioned later
                              in the post?
                              Look forward to hearing from people researching ZASTKO family!

                              Kind regards,
                              Thomas

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@...> wrote:

                              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "greenestamps2003" <ugreene@o...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Can anyone shed light on the town of SZABO? My paternal
                              > > g-grandmother, Mary ZASTKO, was born March 23, 1848 in Totfalu (now
                              > > Slovenska Ves?). Her father, Pol ZASTKO, was reported to have been
                              > > known (or born?) in SZABO. I would venture a guess that it may be
                              > the
                              > > Hungarian name of a current Slovak town. He married Maria HECTELY
                              > who
                              > > was known or born in the town of Totfalu. Many thanks for your
                              > help.
                              >
                              > Much later (73 years in 1921) a Maria Zastko, age 24 , married ,
                              > Slovak, born in Slovenská Ves, emigrated to her husband Andrew in
                              > Waterbury CT.
                              > She traveled with her son Alois (Aloysius), age 9 months, who was also
                              > born in Slovenská Ves.
                              >
                              > In Hungarian, tót, tóth means a Slovak.
                              > -falu means village.
                              > Szepes megye (county), Slovak Spis^ z^upa (county)
                              > Slovenská ves (Sk) was called Szepestótfalu (H)
                              >
                              > Slavos^ovce, Slovakia was called Nagy (large) Szabos in
                              > Hungarian, but it is located 36 miles distant from Slovenská Ves.
                              >

                              > Frank K

                            • wanderingdalton
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 21 10:41 AM
                                Hello Ursala,

                                I was reading your older post and was wondering... If you saw Frank
                                K's post mentioning the ZAstko's who emmigrated in 1921.
                                Maria and Andrew were my grandparents.While they initially settled in
                                CT, they later moved to NJ.
                                Are you related to them? I don't know what if any relationship your
                                MAria Zastko from 1848 had with mine.
                                Look forward to hearing from you!