question

  • Jeanann Jameson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2003
      hi first i want to thank you for telling me where to
      look concerning the names of those counties . i will
      let you no what i find out.
      i have another question. my great grandmothers
      maiden name was Stranc. could it be Stranz? i still
      can't find any information on me grandmother
      especially at ellis island i have changed her name
      form Magdalena Yellenberger to Jelenberger,
      Jellenbuger, Wellemberger, and Magdalena to Helena.
      even ancestry.com has nothing on her death. does
      anyone no how i can look up someone by there ss# i
      found my grandmothers ss# and don't no how to use this
      info. i have nothing like this for my grandfather. he
      died before ss# were given to people they even have
      him buried under the wrong name. well thanks again for
      the info on those towns. jeanann

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 30, 2003
        Stranc probably has a diacritical mark over the 'c'. It sounds like a
        "ch". In Magyar (Hungarian) it would have been written STRANCZ or
        STRANCS. In English, people often wrote it STRANCH.

        There are a couple of approaches.
        1. The Social security death index (
        http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/ssdi/main.htm ). is the
        only publically available index of social security numbers. Remember,
        it's valid if she worked 1937 or later. Also note that the SSA is
        missing many early records. I'd estimate it's only 70-80% complete.
        2. Petition the Soc Secu. Admin (in writing) for her SS-5 application
        (if she worked 1937 or later in the USA).

        3. Use Steve Morse's tools to look for more/better matches -
        sounds-like, looks-like.
        http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html

        Good Luck,
        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        hi first i want to thank you for telling me where to
        look concerning the names of those counties . i will
        let you no what i find out.
        i have another question. my great grandmothers
        maiden name was Stranc. could it be Stranz? i still
        can't find any information on me grandmother
        especially at ellis island i have changed her name
        form Magdalena Yellenberger to Jelenberger,
        Jellenbuger, Wellemberger, and Magdalena to Helena.
        even ancestry.com has nothing on her death. does
        anyone no how i can look up someone by there ss# i
        found my grandmothers ss# and don't no how to use this
        info. i have nothing like this for my grandfather. he
        died before ss# were given to people they even have
        him buried under the wrong name. well thanks again for
        the info on those towns. jeanann

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30, 2003
          some ideas from Steve Morse's tool
          http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html

          262 Stranch,Maria Flacovce, Slovakia 1920 22 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          263 Stranch,Maria Srlaoniosvasrka, Hungary 1906 21 Passenger Record
          Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          264 Stranch,Maria Srlaoniosvasrka, Hungary 1906 0 Passenger Record
          Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          265 Stranch,Maria U.S.A. 1907 53 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          266 Stranch,Maria Diavecz 1901 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          267 Stranch,Marie St. Gallen, Switzerland 1913 33 Passenger Record
          Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          268 Stranch,Marion New York 1921 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          269 Stranch,Mary 1909 36 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
          Manifest Ship Image
          270 Stranch,Mihaly Iglo 1904 34 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          271 Stranch,Moritz Wien 1906 29 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          272 Stranch,Muidla Tarnow, Austria 1914 42 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          301 Stransz,Maria Munkacsvaralyi, Hungary 1913 17 Passenger Record
          Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          302 Stransz,Mihaly Varpalanka, Hungary 1906 40 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          303 Strantz,M. 1894 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
          Manifest Ship Image
          304 Strantz,Mrs. M. 1894 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          338 Strinic,Maria C..., U. S. A. 1913 6 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          339 Strinic,Maria Castel Suksic 1902 15 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          340 Strinic,Martin Lokvicic, Austria 1910 31 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          341 Strinic,Myo Muzulovcica, Hungaria 1907 46 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          342 Strinz,Marga. 1895 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
          Manifest Ship Image
          343 Strinz,Mary 1908 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
          Manifest Ship Image

          1 Jelen,Magdalina Krolova, Austria 1907 26 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          3 Jelen,Helene Czestochow 1903 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image

          Maybe you can do a better search if you can estimate the year of
          arrival, what country she was from, birthplace or any other info like
          that.

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 30, 2003
            Have you petitioned the INS for the immigrant's files? It is an
            extremely productive strategy.
            see http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
              hi can anyone tell me where this place is?
              Hidaneniethi. didn't somebody here say that people
              with the last name Rak could be from Slovica? thanks jeanann

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
                jjeanann2000@... writes:

                > hi can anyone tell me where this place is?
                > Hidaneniethi

                Hidasnemeti is a place in Hungary. not the same spelling but just as
                unusual. where did you find the name of the town? on what records?
                Noreen

              • Kevin Fosko
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 21, 2003
                  Jeanann,

                  You can search for your grandmother using the Social
                  Security Death Index. Here is a link:

                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm

                  Kevin______

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 27, 2003
                    hi i came accross a name and would like to no if
                    anyone heard of it or where it is for sure. the name
                    is Meattraveltz, Austria or Yugslavia. i probable have
                    it spelled wrong so if i do i'm sorry but it is how it
                    was pronounced. thank you and happy thanksgiving jeanann

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
                      try searching for the village with this tool

                      ______________
                      Bill Tarkulich

                      hi i came accross a name and would like to no if
                      anyone heard of it or where it is for sure. the name
                      is Meattraveltz, Austria or Yugslavia. i probable have
                      it spelled wrong so if i do i'm sorry but it is how it
                      was pronounced. thank you and happy thanksgiving jeanann

                      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

                      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
                    • jjeanann2000
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 6, 2003
                        hi everyone is talking about terms can someone tell me what
                        naniepaso and celepaso means and what language it is from? my
                        grandmother who spoke german and slovic used these words i'm sure
                        they are spelled wrong this is how they sounded. thanks jeanann
                      • Milan Huba
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 22, 2003
                          The words appear to slavic and not germanic. If you could give us the
                          context in which these words were used, someone should be able to give you
                          the meaning of the words.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 22, 2003
                            my mother thought they were a name or aunt somebody.
                            thats all she remembers. the celepaso is what we
                            called this older lady when she came over it might
                            have been her name no one no's i don't no anything
                            about the other word my mother used it when she was
                            young. thanks for your help