Re: [S-R] Village of Mariassy? in Slovakia

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
      It sounds like you encountered what was once called a "long s" in
      America. It did look much like a "f".

      Ron

      Catherine Skapura wrote:

      > I am wading through LDS film #173198 looking for
      > Geletko information. Sometimes they are said to be
      > from what looks like "Mariafsy" but the "f" is
      > twisted, so I think it's a double "s" or "sz." The
      > other villages listed in this particular part of the
      > film are Hnilcik, Bindt, Roztoky, Jerohutta, in the
      > vicinity of Spisska Nova Ves.
      >
      > Does anyone know the real name of "Mariassy"? And
      > where it is?

    • Doug & Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
        Your village is present-day Markusovce and was the seat of the Mariassy
        family. The following website gives a great map of Slovakia where you will
        find all those towns you mentioned. You can zoom in and out easily.

        http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=mrdr&lats1=48.679893&lons1=19.6833
        41&alts1=650&ofsx=0&ofsy=0&ntid1=8f&plce1=Slovakia&wpst1=1®n1=1&cnty1=4&f
        map=1&&tpid=1

        I suspect that the Hungarian name was Markusfalva, in Szepes Megye.

        Janet Kozlay
      • Catherine Skapura
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
          Thanks. I kept finding the Mariassy family every time
          I searched Google, but no village. Good map
          suggestion

          --- Doug & Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...> wrote:

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Doug & Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
            When I put Mariassy into Google, the 4th entry was for Markusovce. That
            website gives much interesting information about the town (founded in the
            13th century) as well as a variety of other names by which it was known.
            (www.geocities.com/Tollassy/markus.html)

            Janet Kozlay