RE: [S-R] ZADJAR

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2003
      I agreee with another poster that Zadjar is most likely a mangled
      version of Zdiar (Polish spelling Zdziar), a few miles northwest
      of Spisska Bela, snuggled up close to the Polish border.

      Slovak pronunciation of the town name is close to Zhdyar (zh like
      the z in azure or the s in measure, y as in yellow - so "dy" is
      like the way some people say the d in "due": dyoo).

      Polish pronunciation is close to Zhjar (zh as above, j as in
      jump).

      Joe