RE: [S-R] Stasko/Sztasko, Strunya/Strunak/Struniak, and Lesny surnames

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2003
      I'd rather see you get their place of birth in some way other than the
      death cert. Death Certs are notoriously erroneous and nobody checks the
      info. Here are some better places to get the all-important place of
      birth:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

      Have you sleuthed through www.elllisisland.org database for your
      immigrants records?

      I doubt they were Greek Orthodox. They probably were confused with
      Greek Catholic. Read about it here
      http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06744a.htm I should know. :) My GPs
      were Greek Catholic, my wife is Greek Orthodox, I was baptized RC. The
      GO never made it to Upper Hungary (Slovakia) in any numbers that
      mattered. They could also mean Orthodox, but I doubt it. In this
      region, it was Roman Catholic and Lutheran, as you can see from the
      records above.

      Stasko/Sztasko - the later is the Magyar (Hungarian) spelling of STASKO
      Strunak/Struniak - are clearly lingustic variations. Strunya sounds
      like something that was an American adaptation from the prior name.

      Many Strunak in SR phone book. Start here
      http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html

      Good Luck,
      Bill Tarkulich