RE: [S-R] New to genealogy

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2003
      No. These records are always written in the native, local governance or
      church langugae. Do not let this intimidate you.

      That said, they are generally quite easy to decipher, since most records
      of this period are organized in columnar forms. Givenames and Surnames
      are quite distinguishable. ditto on dates and numbers. All you really
      need are the headings for each column, which John Jasso has provided for
      church records here http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/index.html and has been
      used by thousands of researchers to records their family church records.

      I have posted sample copies of these registers here
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/church_records_e_slovakia.htm as well as
      language references. You will find that upon opening the microfilm,
      within about 10 minutes you'll master it quite handily.

      Copy the troublesome or important pages and bring them home from the
      FHL. That way you can study them further at home, and share them with
      others if the handwriting is too sloppy.

      I have met the challenge of decoding records in Polish, Latin, Slovak,
      Church Slavonic and Hungarian without knowing much of each language.

      Good luck.

      Bill Tarkulich