Camera

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 1999
      A discussion is raging on another list as to the best way to photograph
      microfilm pages on the readers. Apparently, the Family History Centers
      permit this practice. Does anyone have experience in this area?

      Andrea
    • Jim Honeychuck
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 1999
        The two FHC's I have used permit this. First you use a regular machine to
        find your place, then you remove the spools without breaking the film and go
        to the printer machine, load it up and print. 35 cents per image. Well
        worth it when you are working with elderly people who can't get to the FHC
        with you.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 1999
          I think what Jim is talking about is the microform printer, which is
          standard in any FHC.

          What Andrea is talking about is taking a photo, probably with a digital
          camera, on the regular machine.

          There is no official policy on this from SLC, at least it's not
          addressed in anything I've read or been in any updates. So I would say
          you would need to ask permission at the specific FHC (and they would
          probably have to ask the director of that FHC if there is no policy
          set). This means that one FHC might say yes, and another might not.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 1999
            Thanks, but I meant photographing, not photocopying. The difference is that
            the camera can store the image on a diskette to download on the computer,
            and it might come out better too.

            I am really ignorant about cameras and hoped that someone had tried this.