RAAB from Hniezdne

  • Tina Woods
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24 10:12 PM
      Ginny-
      I actually found this listserve by locating your RAAB posts while doing a google search. I only had the village spellings used on the Ellis Island manifests, so your posts, and it's replies started me moving in the right direction.
      It was fairly easy for me to find the baptism of my Grandmother, Stefania Victoria RAAB, in the LDS film. She was born 12/20/1890 and her parents were Josef RAAB and Victoria MARCINEK (?sp). I also found her sister Ludmilla (a suprisingly popular name in that village!) born in 1900. I need to find other siblings Maria (1884), Ferdinand (1889), and Josef (1896), and of course try to trace backward from her parents. Also, Maria married a Johannes TATAR, and a saw that name a few times, so I want to locate him. By the way-there are alot of Maria Raabs in that register! By the way, they all came to Philadelphia. I will keep your info with my papers, and let you know what I run across. Have you seen any of the entries yourself? If there is one you would like, I could print one out on the microfilm reader, and scan it in and send it to you by email.
      By the way-I live in the Phila burbs now, and used to live in town, but was not framiliar with St. Pete's. I checked it on the web, and the only catholic St. Peter's is now a shrine for St. John Neuman-his body is actually there in a glass casket. I know the building, but was never in there. It is in neighborhood that is very Eastern European/Russian/Ukranian etc. I had an apartment near there once, and there is still a Ukranian ethnic club that was a boarding home for immigrants. We used to stop in there on sundays on occaision for an inexpensive beer, and the neighborhood guys would play the accordians and the whole bit. It is near the address that the Maria Raab I am related to listed on her ship manifest-291 Poplar Street. There are also small but active Russian and Ukranian Orthodox churches in this neightborhood. The neighborhoods are known as Northern Liberties and also Port Richmond. The cencuses I have looked at list many Austrian, Hungarian, Russian and
      Ukranians (and later Chzeckoslavkians). The Ukranians seem to have stayed.
      Thanks for your reply
      Tina