Re: Rak and Strancic

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
      <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
      > Hi can anyone tell me what the name Rak might mean?
      > and i have another question. Can anyone tell me about
      > the town or village called Strancic. I am asking about
      > Strancic because i was told a long time ago that my
      > great-grandmother Veronica (frony) Stranc and her
      > husband Stefan Yellenburger(sp is wrong) owned a
      > village untell the nazi's came. thanks jeanann

      Jeanann

      There is a town named Stranc^ice (Cz) Stranschitz (G) located
      13 miles SE of Praha, Czech Republic.
      The Nazis came in 1938.

      Some of your surnames were from LacaRAk, Serbia which is located
      47 miles miles WNW of Beograd (Belgrade)
      The Germans came in 1941.

      Whether your surname Stranc was derived from a place name Stranc^ic'
      means very little because often inhabitants of a village all bore the
      same surname as village name eventhough not related.

      In 1906, a Andrea(s) Rak, laborer, male, married, age 28,
      Hungarian/Croatian emigrated to the US via Ellis Island.
      He went to his brother-in-law Stefan Jinson at 541 ? Street,
      Steelton PA.

      Frank K