Re: Surname Klipsch from "Frank"

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane T <mzplum_2000@y...> wrote:

      > Many thanks, Frank K.....
      > for the info on the surname Klipsch. I suspected there were lots
      of Klipsches in Germany.....but the brick wall I'm up against is
      finding some in Weisskirchen/Bela Crkva, and their migration to the
      U.S. I only wish I'd paid more attention, as a child, when my mother
      spoke of her dad and what she knew about his family and emigration.
      She's been gone for 40 years now, and my memory is so shot full of
      holes, not only do I NOT remember things, but even remember things
      that never happened!!!! heheh

      > Diane

      Diane ,

      Bela means 'white' and crkva means 'church' in Serbian language.

      Bela Crkva was located 46 miles east of Beograd (Belgrade) and 38
      miles east of Pantschowa/Pancsova/Pacevo, Serbia and is at the current
      border with Romania.

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene

      K A K C T E ? Serbian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
      (kahk steh)

      After WW I peace treaty (1920) Hungary lost Banat region and
      Transylvania to Romania.

      Romanian is not a Slavic language but a Romance language like
      French andbItalian.

      How are you ?
      Come sta ? (I)
      Ce mai faceti ? (R)
      Comment ca va ? (F)

      There were 3 million Germans living in Yugoslavia after WW II.
      Many were Donauschwabens who had been there for hundreds of years.
      The Communist Yugoslavs under Marshal Tito expelled them all back to
      Germany and executed some.
      Many Donauschwabens fled for their lives back to Germany.

      Frank K

      > On Fri, 08 Aug 2003, "Frank" <frankur@a...> wrote:
      >
      > "445 surnames Klipsch are listed in the rootsweb.com gedcom files,
      many from Germany in the 17th and 18th c. Expect there are many
      hundreds of surnames Klipsch living in Germany.

      > The Donauschwaben refers to large-scale migration of individuals and
      families from German-speaking states to the areas of the former
      Austro-Hungarian Empire reconquered from the Ottoman Empire during
      during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Many, if not all of these
      migrants emigrated out of the areas of the ancient Suebi (Swabian) and
      Alemannic regions centered around Stuttgart and encompassing portions
      of modern Baden-Württemberg, Alsace, Lorraine, and Switzerland. Others
      hailed from Austria, other places in the Austro-Hungarian Empire or
      the Rhineland-Palatinate.