Re: Surname Klipsch from "Frank"

  • Diane T
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2003
      Many thanks, Frank K.....
      for the info on the surname Klipsch. I suspected there were lots of Klipsches in Germany.....but the brick wall I'm up against is finding some in Weisskirchen/Bela Crkva, and their migration to the U.S. I only wish I'd paid more attention, as a child, when my mother spoke of her dad and what she knew about his family and emigration. She's been gone for 40 years now, and my memory is so shot full of holes, not only do I NOT remember things, but even remember things that never happened!!!! heheh

      Diane

      On Fri, 08 Aug 2003, "Frank" <frankur@...> wrote:

      "445 surnames Klipsch are listed in the rootsweb.com gedcom files, many from Germany in the 17th and 18th c. Expect there are many hundreds of surnames Klipsch living in Germany.

      The Donauschwaben refers to large-scale migration of individuals and families from German-speaking states to the areas of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire reconquered from the Ottoman Empire during during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Many, if not all of these migrants emigrated out of the areas of the ancient Suebi (Swabian) and Alemannic regions centered around Stuttgart and encompassing portions of modern Baden-W�rttemberg, Alsace, Lorraine, and Switzerland. Others hailed from Austria, other places in the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the Rhineland-Palatinate.

      These migrants often set out from the cities of Ulm or G�nzburg
      traveling along the Danube River or on it via the famous "Ulmer
      Schachtel" (Ulm Crates or barges).
      Frank K"

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane T <mzplum_2000@y...> wrote:

        > Many thanks, Frank K.....
        > for the info on the surname Klipsch. I suspected there were lots
        of Klipsches in Germany.....but the brick wall I'm up against is
        finding some in Weisskirchen/Bela Crkva, and their migration to the
        U.S. I only wish I'd paid more attention, as a child, when my mother
        spoke of her dad and what she knew about his family and emigration.
        She's been gone for 40 years now, and my memory is so shot full of
        holes, not only do I NOT remember things, but even remember things
        that never happened!!!! heheh

        > Diane

        Diane ,

        Bela means 'white' and crkva means 'church' in Serbian language.

        Bela Crkva was located 46 miles east of Beograd (Belgrade) and 38
        miles east of Pantschowa/Pancsova/Pacevo, Serbia and is at the current
        border with Romania.

        How are you ? English

        Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

        Hogy Van ? Hungarian

        Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

        Jak se máte ? Czech

        Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene

        K A K C T E ? Serbian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
        (kahk steh)

        After WW I peace treaty (1920) Hungary lost Banat region and
        Transylvania to Romania.

        Romanian is not a Slavic language but a Romance language like
        French andbItalian.

        How are you ?
        Come sta ? (I)
        Ce mai faceti ? (R)
        Comment ca va ? (F)

        There were 3 million Germans living in Yugoslavia after WW II.
        Many were Donauschwabens who had been there for hundreds of years.
        The Communist Yugoslavs under Marshal Tito expelled them all back to
        Germany and executed some.
        Many Donauschwabens fled for their lives back to Germany.

        Frank K

        > On Fri, 08 Aug 2003, "Frank" <frankur@a...> wrote:
        >
        > "445 surnames Klipsch are listed in the rootsweb.com gedcom files,
        many from Germany in the 17th and 18th c. Expect there are many
        hundreds of surnames Klipsch living in Germany.

        > The Donauschwaben refers to large-scale migration of individuals and
        families from German-speaking states to the areas of the former
        Austro-Hungarian Empire reconquered from the Ottoman Empire during
        during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Many, if not all of these
        migrants emigrated out of the areas of the ancient Suebi (Swabian) and
        Alemannic regions centered around Stuttgart and encompassing portions
        of modern Baden-Württemberg, Alsace, Lorraine, and Switzerland. Others